Collapsed before the rush?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celeree

Reaction score
Did anyone else here personally collapse before this hit? I read about 'collapse now before the rush' a few years back and it really made an impact.

Was already reading about economic collapse, prepping, climate change and such when I came upon this, and it just made sense to me. In a way, that's what we had been working towards for the past 2 years, collapsing.

Went total opposite of what the sheep were doing, no fancy house or cars, no instagram worthy vacations, no new gadgets, none of that stuff. Took what we had, a few acres of raw land, carved some roads and put a free house on it, ran extension cords from the pole until we could afford to get a line ran, still compost toilet because there's no septic yet, fill water jugs for water until the water lines are reworked, drive beater cars because they're paid for, constantly work on reducing outgoing expenses.. this is what we had done and are still doing to live as cheap as possible. We were living on one part-time income before this pandemic hit. Job closed in late March and we're one of those that is earning more being unemployed, such a weird feeling.

Of course I wish we had more time to work on things here before this hit, we weren't as prepared and I wanted, but still grateful we went this route. The future is looking grim, but we are already kind of living subsistence. I dunno, feel like we can handle this future 'new normal' pretty good. We were already getting some side gigs, doing some bartering, re-purposing free stuff, and a lot of doing without. Figure these will come in handy in the future.

Things I wish were in place: solar.. man, would be so nice!! Rural electric here is atrocious! Better garden, I literally have a black thumb, but am trying, the soil needs work. A root cellar, not just for stores, also for occasional tornadoes. Of course, more guns. ;)

Anyone else go this route? Collapsed ahead. Or as I call it, intentional poverty. Any advice? Things you wish you had done different?

I am just the opposite of DrHenley. Delayed my retirement. Not for economic reasons but to allow us to complete some dental work and eye glasses while insurance was still active.

While planning for retirement, I paid off all my debts and own two house, free and clear. Have no plans for ever purchasing more property or vehicles so I guess that would fit the bill as "personal collapse" as defined above. Current plans is retirement on 8/01/20. But, I am in a position, I can really start it any day I want.

ever since I went back to school to become a paramedic,I've been living very cost effective,always plan ahead what to buy,just 'cause the funds were lower then
and it kinda kept going that way,even after graduation.
no fancy travels,though Tahiti would be nice to visit...

I had planned a relocation this April but that had to be cancelled until this all settled down. The biggest upset was we had been eating down most of the stocked food supplies. Then we had to turn around and restock. Saved a bunch of money on the monthly food bill when eating the stock but then had to spend a bunch to replenish the eaten supplies. The pendulum continues to swing. LOL

I have been forced into semi retirement,but I have my little lawn service and I am taking up Goat farming,,,,,,,,,,,,that I never saw coming but when I found out that goat was selling at one of the auction houses close by for $2.40 to $2.60 a lbs I decided to get in ,cattle prices are no where near that,hell I can get 8 goats for the cost of 1 cow ,,,,breed them and a lot of times they have twins and you can sell them at 4 months old,and if you look around you can get them cheap enough to make a good profit,,,,,

Goats can be quite profitable. But note that you should plan on having goats at the right time for various cultural holidays. Price can fluctuate wildly, time your kids to match the high times. Goats are fun, but they eat everything from wires to hoses, and some of those things will kill them. Like most things, get a good mentor.

I had planned a relocation this April but that had to be cancelled until this all settled down. The biggest upset was we had been eating down most of the stocked food supplies. Then we had to turn around and restock. Saved a bunch of money on the monthly food bill when eating the stock but then had to spend a bunch to replenish the eaten supplies. The pendulum continues to swing. LOL

Are you going to relocate out of Arizona UP?

I have been forced into semi retirement,but I have my little lawn service and I am taking up Goat farming,,,,,,,,,,,,that I never saw coming but when I found out that goat was selling at one of the auction houses close by for $2.40 to $2.60 a lbs I decided to get in ,cattle prices are no where near that,hell I can get 8 goats for the cost of 1 cow ,,,,breed them and a lot of times they have twins and you can sell them at 4 months old,and if you look around you can get them cheap enough to make a good profit,,,,,
I'd be interested in hearing about your experience with goats. Do you have them fenced in, or do you stake them out. I had an uncle that kept a few staked out. Otherwise they'd be on top of his cars and everywhere else.

I'd be interested in hearing about your experience with goats. Do you have them fenced in, or do you stake them out. I had an uncle that kept a few staked out. Otherwise they'd be on top of his cars and everywhere else.

they are fenced,,,and I am in the first steps of this I have 3 bought all Nubians I pick them up on the 17th,,there is a Auction coming up and I will be buying 2 or 3 Boers they make a very good cross with the Nubians one is a milk goat the other a meat goat by crossing you get the best of both,,,,a meat goat that can be milked,,,I will go into more detail later when I am not on the run

A lot easier to handle too.

Are you going to relocate out of Arizona UP?

Yes. Wife wants /needs to be closer to kids and granddaughter. I love Arizona but the wife has given it a good try and deserves to happy. I will just have to dress a little bit warmer. Both my kids live in California and there is no way in heck, I will ever live back there again. So where ever makes the wife happy (except for snow country) will work for me. NO white fluffy stuff.

Yes. Wife wants /needs to be closer to kids and granddaughter. I love Arizona but the wife has given it a good try and deserves to happy. I will just have to dress a little bit warmer. Both my kids live in California and there is no way in heck, I will ever live back there again. So where ever makes the wife happy (except for snow country) will work for me. NO white fluffy stuff.
You had me worried when you said they lived in Cali. . . Whew! :p

I tried to upload a picture I have on my phone. . . I drove out to the goat pasture in the golf cart to collect limbs that had fallen to use as stakes for my tomatoes. Majority of the goats were either in, around or on top of. . . . they flock to wherever I am. Your story of your uncle made me think of it, but loading a picture from my dumb phone is not like loading one from my tablet or big computer. I was impressed that I got on the website (first time to try anything on the net) and remembered my password after all these years.

Did anyone else here personally collapse before this hit? I read about 'collapse now before the rush' a few years back and it really made an impact.

Was already reading about economic collapse, prepping, climate change and such when I came upon this, and it just made sense to me. In a way, that's what we had been working towards for the past 2 years, collapsing.

Went total opposite of what the sheep were doing, no fancy house or cars, no instagram worthy vacations, no new gadgets, none of that stuff. Took what we had, a few acres of raw land, carved some roads and put a free house on it, ran extension cords from the pole until we could afford to get a line ran, still compost toilet because there's no septic yet, fill water jugs for water until the water lines are reworked, drive beater cars because they're paid for, constantly work on reducing outgoing expenses.. this is what we had done and are still doing to live as cheap as possible. We were living on one part-time income before this pandemic hit. Job closed in late March and we're one of those that is earning more being unemployed, such a weird feeling.

Of course I wish we had more time to work on things here before this hit, we weren't as prepared and I wanted, but still grateful we went this route. The future is looking grim, but we are already kind of living subsistence. I dunno, feel like we can handle this future 'new normal' pretty good. We were already getting some side gigs, doing some bartering, re-purposing free stuff, and a lot of doing without. Figure these will come in handy in the future.

Things I wish were in place: solar.. man, would be so nice!! Rural electric here is atrocious! Better garden, I literally have a black thumb, but am trying, the soil needs work. A root cellar, not just for stores, also for occasional tornadoes. Of course, more guns. ;)

Anyone else go this route? Collapsed ahead. Or as I call it, intentional poverty. Any advice? Things you wish you had done different?
Sure did paid off all debts, lived simpler, expanded veg patch etc, upskilled homestead techniques, so when this pandemic hit our lives were not changed much at all. During this pandemic using the time to refine our skills. A good test for future.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back