CenturyLink outage and the Emergency 911 call centers

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it time for my Tin Foil Hat yet? What about a few foreign hackers testing out the waters to take the grid / internet down? Too soon? okay I will put it back in the drawer.
It's never too soon to take out your tinfoil hat. It could be anything and being aware of the possibilities, however remote, is smart.

It's never too soon to take out your tinfoil hat. It could be anything and being aware of the possibilities, however remote, is smart.

Spent the first third of my life with my head in the sand. Spent the next third enjoying the sights, sounds and smells of life. Spending the rest of my life planing what to do with the sights,sounds and smells. The first third of my life was like crossing the prairie, just plodding along. The next was like climbing the highest mountain peaks, lots of work and effort. The rest is now coasting down the mountain side, enjoying the scenery. Not rich or famous but loving life.

All CenturyLink said "Huge CenturyLink outage caused by bad networking card in Colorado" One network card took out 15 cloud service, 911 from coast to coast, interrupted AT&T and Verizon services, prevented hospitals from accessing patient records, took down websites, prevented some banks from processing transactions etc... 21st century and half the country relies on one network card...

Anyone that buys this pile of shit explanation has marbles loose! I'm not tech savvy but with all the redundancy in place one little network card can take down half the country? I call bullshit in spades!!

CL.jpg

All CenturyLink said "Huge CenturyLink outage caused by bad networking card in Colorado" One network card took out 15 cloud service, 911 from coast to coast, interrupted AT&T and Verizon services, prevented hospitals from accessing patient records, took down websites, prevented some banks from processing transactions etc... 21st century and half the country relies on one network card...

Anyone that buys this pile of shit explanation has marbles loose! I'm not tech savvy but with all the redundancy in place one little network card can take down half the country? I call bullshit in spades!!

View attachment 9281

A lot of the time stuff like this happens, SO THEY SAY, there is redundancy built in, BUT if the failover doesn’t work right (like it wasn’t tested), it’s a massive bitch to find the problem. Plus, the bad network equipment may be in the boonies.

Not sayin that they told the truth, but it is possible. Probable, I don’t know.

As far as individual services going down, the service, if important, damn well have a completely different path to the web. Where I work does, and it is tested biweekly. One route through Atlanta, the other goes towards the west. I find it hard to believe that a hospital doesn’t host their own data. Expensive, yes, but damn...

A lot of the time stuff like this happens, SO THEY SAY, there is redundancy built in, BUT if the failover doesn’t work right (like it wasn’t tested), it’s a massive bitch to find the problem. Plus, the bad network equipment may be in the boonies.

Not sayin that they told the truth, but it is possible. Probable, I don’t know.

As far as individual services going down, the service, if important, damn well have a completely different path to the web. Where I work does, and it is tested biweekly. One route through Atlanta, the other goes towards the west. I find it hard to believe that a hospital doesn’t host their own data. Expensive, yes, but damn...

All the hospitals here have access to patients records including xrays if needed, it is stored on a cloud service that's supposed to have redundancy, 911 suppose to have multiple redundancies but this single point was able to take it all down, that's downright scary.

Sorry folks but I am putting the Tin Foil Hat back on. This is not believable to me. Something big hit the net and this is being covered up. Not tech savvy on networks but I do know about redundancy and testing. This fish has been left out in the sun too long and it smells. JM2c

View attachment 9281
My husband works with database warehouse stuff...it's all Greek to me.
I emailed him a copy of their response. This was his reply.

Yeah kinda weird that they wouldn’t have backup cards that would kick in once the initial one failed. Envision a large datacenter with rows & rows of those giant mainframe computers you see (called racks). Each rack might have multiple cards in them daisy chained through different networks. But with that, you’re supposed to build into it a number of redundancies that kick in when one or more network card or NICs fail like that. So for them to not have that failsafe built in, somebody has some real explaining to do.

Heck, (my job) for that very reason is why we do that twice a year massive data migration from one set of datacenters to another. Not only does it test out our disaster recovery process for auditing but tests those very same types of network cards to make sure they do what they’re supposed to do. And if not, they get replaced post transition/migration in our secondary (passive) databcenters.

Did anybody have trouble getting this forum to open yesterday? The Tin Foil Hat is in full swing. This is the second prepper forum that was disabled for a day. I think somebody is testing alright.

Latest posts

Back