CenturyLink outage and the Emergency 911 call centers

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some more network weirdness going on with AT&T as well as CenturyLink....

bf43cda8f079706a8cd9e8e279f73689.jpg

I don't think it's fixed because a lot of people are calling out centurylink on twitter it's not fixed, at&t cell sites are tied to centurylink so if at&t are still having issues it's centurylink causing it, it was reported yesterday some 911 centers were still having issues.
I just wonder if this network card business is just a front? Maybe it’s a cyber attack and they don’t want to say it. I think that’s why Home Land security is involved. Seems like they could have been up and running smoothly by now if it were a problem that they knew about and where the problem originated. I could be wrong because I will be the first to admit I am not tech savvy.

My son thinks that the company was trying to cut too many corners and save money for larger profits and it caught up with them. He thinks the CEO is probably scrambling to secure himself before the truth comes out, but by that time he will have applied for retirement or found another job and just walk away. This could also be a possibility.

My son thinks that the company was trying to cut too many corners and save money for larger profits and it caught up with them. He thinks the CEO is probably scrambling to secure himself before the truth comes out, but by that time he will have applied for retirement or found another job and just walk away. This could also be a possibility.
Bingo!
Listen, when I was an IT director, I had backups for everything, redunancy for everything, and backup redundancy for the mission critical things. I had to sneak a lot of it in under the radar because the higher ups had no frickin clue and were very tight with the purse strings. Trying to explain the concept of redundancy was futile, it was just unnecessary expenses to them. When locations would close, there would be surplus workstatations and I would turn some of them them into backup servers at no cost other than my time.

I have a couple of those ad hoc backup servers now at home (I talked them into giving them to me when I retired, since they weren't officially on the inventory) They are still going strong and the company doesn't even exist anymore. LOL

Last edited:
Bingo!
Listen, when I was an IT director, I had backups for everything, redunancy for everything, and backup redundancy for the mission critical things. I had to sneak a lot of it in under the radar because the higher ups had no frickin clue and were very tight with the purse strings. Trying to explain the concept of redundancy was futile, it was just unnecessary expenses to them. When locations would close, there would be surplus workstatations and I would turn some of them them into backup servers at no cost other than my time.

Doc, I’m not tech savvy but have a very basic understanding. With CenturyLink being the third largest company of its type, can one network card cause a nation wide issues on the level we seen?

Doc, I’m not tech savvy but have a very basic understanding. With CenturyLink being the third largest company of its type, can one network card cause a nation wide issues on the level we seen?

Yep. Cascading failures, just like with the power grid.

I call it PISS POOR DESIGN

And that's being generous.

Last edited:
Bingo!

I have a couple of those ad hoc backup servers now at home (I talked them into giving them to me when I retired, since they weren't officially on the inventory) They are still going strong and the company doesn't even exist anymore. LOL

I had a similar situation. I worked for computer manufacture that had to file for bankruptcy. I was the only one trained to operate the Energy Management System (E.M.S.). There were many times I needed to work over time but they were not allowed to pay overtime. I worked out a deal to get new top of the line computer components and complete system. I was one of the first people to get a 1 gigabyte hard drive. At that time they sold for $2,000. Ended up with a several great systems before they closed the doors. Sometimes it pays to be in demand. That was in my pre-management days. Once I joined management, being in demand was not a benefit.

Latest posts

Back