Canning

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once dehydrated I store in vacuumed sealed bags then throw in a bucket in my stockroom.

we got a 12.29 LB turky the other day.in which i thought it was for turkey day..but come to find,it was bought for the 2 of us..only.and thats when my mind went into canning mode.which means,i'll not only get a bunch of home canned turky.but i'll be getting turky broth as well..i deffintly hope that i get a food saer this xmas..

we got a 12.29 LB turky the other day.in which i thought it was for turkey day..but come to find,it was bought for the 2 of us..only.and thats when my mind went into canning mode.which means,i'll not only get a bunch of home canned turky.but i'll be getting turky broth as well..i deffintly hope that i get a food saer this xmas..
I love turkey! Don't need a holiday for an excuse to cook one.

There are so many versatiles you can do with turkey meat in canning! Use in place of any chicken recipe. . . I love to make up soups mainly and then the broth. Canned meats alone are not a favorite of mine, but even when canning alone, adding it to a casserole and you would never know it was canned.

I always get a freebie from work once a year. I took out last years to start defrosting for Thurs on Sat. and this years will go into the freezer. I do also buy one when it is holiday time and dirt cheap just so that I can inject it and cook it to get some 'lunch meat' which goes into vacuumed sealed bags into the freezer. The bones always get cracked and boiled up to can for broth.

here's a chicken soup recipe i came across.gonna go with the turkey i cooked up..

HOMEMADE CHICKEN SOUP- PRESSURE CANNING
Preserving Method: Pressure Canning
Makes about 8 (16 oz) pints

Hot, steaming bowl of chicken soup is sure to cure the winter blahs. Customize your homemade chicken soup with egg noodles, broken bits of vermicelli or rice while heating, just before serving.

YOU WILL NEED
*You must process at least 2 quart jars or 4 pint jars in the pressure canner at one time to ensure safe processing.

DIRECTIONS
  1. PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set bands aside.
  2. COMBINE chicken stock, chicken, celery, carrots and onion in a large saucepot. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, if desired. Add bouillon cubes, if desired. Cook until bouillon cubes are dissolved.
  3. LADLE hot chicken soup into hot jars leaving 1 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
  4. PROCESS filled jars in a pressure canner at 10 pounds pressure 1 hour and 15 minutes for pints and 1 hour and 30 minutes for quarts, adjusting for altitude, according to your pressure canners directions. Turn off heat: cool canner to zero pressure. Let stand 5 more minutes before removing the lid. Cool jars in canner 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.

im useing half of,a red,green,yellow,and a orange pepper.with the turkey soup..and yes,..im hoping that it turns out great..

nope no way,i'll do that..mom would have your hide and mine alike,if i did that..LOL...i did leave out the onion on account of the peppers.just in case they were to much spiciness with the peppers. and chicken bouillon,on account of the chicken broth..and it still turned out great.

what i do just to keep mom happy.. :D

p.s. edit..we done ate some.it's great.im getting 10 pints,and 2 quarts out of it..and the 2 quarts is for my brother who's sick..

nope no way,i'll do that..mom would have your hide and mine alike,if i did that..LOL...i did leave out the onion on account of the peppers.just in case they were to much spiciness with the peppers. and chicken bouillon,on account of the chicken broth..and it still turned out great.

what i do just to keep mom happy.. :D

p.s. edit..we done ate some.it's great.im getting 10 pints,and 2 quarts out of it..and the 2 quarts is for my brother who's sick..
Probably not a good idea then. The recipe sounded great. I could use some right about now.

I have been canning greens mainly . . . turnip, collards, and mustard but also playing catch up from the freezer. I posted I think in preserving the garden, I think. Canned up some corn, peas, green beans, &^ carrots from the freezer to make room for some beef that will need to go in. I have been missing beef. . . lately it has been deer, pork, and chicken. Rutabagas are almost there, but still need some more time. Cabbage, peas, lettuce, radish, broccoli, turnips, mustard, collards, beets, & radish still growing. Did pick 5 bell peppers that I have covered and still producing. Also checked in with a couple habaneros that are covered with a few close to pick. HEB, a local Texas store that is also in some LA and Mexico had canning jars at 40% off with in store coupon. Since I work there and it is partner appreciation this weekend, I got an additional 20% so I got canning jars for under $4 a case. This is the time I do a special order to stock up for the year. For all you Texans, the sell for 40% off last till 12/24.

I have been canning greens mainly . . . turnip, collards, and mustard but also playing catch up from the freezer. I posted I think in preserving the garden, I think. Canned up some corn, peas, green beans, &^ carrots from the freezer to make room for some beef that will need to go in. I have been missing beef. . . lately it has been deer, pork, and chicken. Rutabagas are almost there, but still need some more time. Cabbage, peas, lettuce, radish, broccoli, turnips, mustard, collards, beets, & radish still growing. Did pick 5 bell peppers that I have covered and still producing. Also checked in with a couple habaneros that are covered with a few close to pick. HEB, a local Texas store that is also in some LA and Mexico had canning jars at 40% off with in store coupon. Since I work there and it is partner appreciation this weekend, I got an additional 20% so I got canning jars for under $4 a case. This is the time I do a special order to stock up for the year. For all you Texans, the sell for 40% off last till 12/24.
Nice, I would have bought a stack to the ceiling! I try to buy extra lids every time I go to the store now. The jars last and last but the lids are the weak spot as they are good only a couple times at best. I've even started using the jars as drinking glasses now. I like the country look anyways and nothing says country like drinking from a mason jar!

I'm interested in canning some wild turkey. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if there's anything different about prepping, cooking or canning wild turkey over farm raised turkey. There's a lot of wild turkey here on the ranch. It's not uncommon to see herds (flocks?) of over 100 of these birds in the road. They like to get an easy meal when it's feeding time for the cattle.

I'm interested in canning some wild turkey. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if there's anything different about prepping, cooking or canning wild turkey over farm raised turkey. There's a lot of wild turkey here on the ranch. It's not uncommon to see herds (flocks?) of over 100 of these birds in the road. They like to get an easy meal when it's feeding time for the cattle.

The wild turkey's here as compared to farmed turkeys, wild turkey's have smaller breast and can be over cooked easily, the meat is darker and slightly tougher, it tends to dry out quicker if over cooked, it does have a slight game taste but not bad and certainly not over bearing. We eat wild turkey's here and prep them the same as we do farmed turkey's and from time to time we cook them as if we are cooking chicken. I would say prep them as you would a domesticated turkey.

Agreed, no difference from domesticated. If they dry out easier Google spatchcock and try cooking it that way. I did my first bird that way this year and it was the juiciest I've ever had. Thought it was a new and improved way to cook one but it turns out people have been doing it for hundreds of years. I have not tried canning turkey meat as I always eat it up quickly. I do can turkey broth quite often as I like to cook with it. Just follow the ball canning directions and you'll be fine.

Latest posts

Back