What do you think of Elons Electric Pick Up?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we'll have to wait and see,atleast my crystal ball is totally empty about the future,if it were to any good,I'd know the lottery numbers and had my dream place country side by now.

but it still is ugly as hell !!

mine is sweet like roses ;)

Just based on the demo, I'd say it has some holes in it.

Not impressed. I want a truck that is functional, flexible, and reliable. It may go 500 miles with no load, but pulling a loaded trailer probably cuts that in half. Imagine going only 250 miles? Then waiting 8 hours, even 2 hours to recharge? So, basically I could drive with a trailer from Austin to Dallas (200+miles). Wait hours to charge up. If I was going to an all-day auction, ok. But if I'm just picking something up? Wait, wait and wait some more. Then only with a full charge could I drive back to Austin? And still not have the capacity to make it home!

Sure, I can see guys somewhere like Austin getting them. Those guys don't use their truck as a 'truck'. They never go off-road. Their biggest load might be a 300lb trailer with a ski-doo. Oh wait, what happens to this thing when you back it into the ramp & it goes under water back there??? What happens when you bounce it over a stump & it gets smacked from underneath? Drive it through a dry creek and bounce the bottom on rocks, logs, everything!

This is some great 'marketing'. But it's not a real truck, I can't see it ever being one. The best use of the truck bed will be to carry a generator to charge it as you drive. I wonder if it can 'charge' as it drives? They really need to add that feature. Add a charger plug in the truck bed. Pathetic.

It's obvious that whoever designed this piece of crap has no idea what a pick-up is or what they're used for. I don't care what the specs are, it would be useless around here. How the hell would you mount a flat bed on the damn thing? There are still a lot of us who actually need and use a pick up truck. We don't all live in places like LA or Austin.

But for what shtf incidient this piece would be helpful...for none. Can it be used as a power generator? Finding something to turn the wheels long enough to charge the battery and use this energy for a cooking plate or so?

I think at the very least all of these utility vehicles need to have solar panels built into their hoods and roofs and very much of the time they are simply sat outside doing nothing. if they were fitted with panels they could at least give themselves a trickle charge.

all this electricity has to come from somewhere, all new UK homes are all electric and the British government wants everyone to drive electric cars, talk about putting all your eggs in one basket, where is all this extra electricity supposed to come from? we don't have enough power stations for now never mind all this extra stuff.

Just based on the demo, I'd say it has some holes in it.

Not impressed. I want a truck that is functional, flexible, and reliable. It may go 500 miles with no load, but pulling a loaded trailer probably cuts that in half. Imagine going only 250 miles? Then waiting 8 hours, even 2 hours to recharge? So, basically I could drive with a trailer from Austin to Dallas (200+miles). Wait hours to charge up. If I was going to an all-day auction, ok. But if I'm just picking something up? Wait, wait and wait some more. Then only with a full charge could I drive back to Austin? And still not have the capacity to make it home!

Sure, I can see guys somewhere like Austin getting them. Those guys don't use their truck as a 'truck'. They never go off-road. Their biggest load might be a 300lb trailer with a ski-doo. Oh wait, what happens to this thing when you back it into the ramp & it goes under water back there??? What happens when you bounce it over a stump & it gets smacked from underneath? Drive it through a dry creek and bounce the bottom on rocks, logs, everything!

This is some great 'marketing'. But it's not a real truck, I can't see it ever being one. The best use of the truck bed will be to carry a generator to charge it as you drive. I wonder if it can 'charge' as it drives? They really need to add that feature. Add a charger plug in the truck bed. Pathetic.
It can charge in thirty minutes

I don't mind the look but i doubt it will appeal to people who actually need a truck. Looks more use in the city. I am no expert but I think it needs some protection bars at the front. Also is it road legal it doesn't appear to have wing mirrors or windscreen wipers.

It can charge in thirty minutes

At special charging stations, which you won't find in 99.9999% of locations. If you consider the average 120v / 15 amp outlet, how long will that take to charge?

If SHTF, it could make a nice portable power source. Assuming you can charge it with solar/wind/hydro/magic, drive it to the job site & plug equipment into it. Or tear it apart & make it your battery bank for your solar/wind/hydro/etc. BTW, putting solar panels on it is a bad idea. Nobody is going to park this $200k beast outside, and it'll just add more weight and glass to break.

At special charging stations, which you won't find in 99.9999% of locations. If you consider the average 120v / 15 amp outlet, how long will that take to charge?

If SHTF, it could make a nice portable power source. Assuming you can charge it with solar/wind/hydro/magic, drive it to the job site & plug equipment into it. Or tear it apart & make it your battery bank for your solar/wind/hydro/etc. BTW, putting solar panels on it is a bad idea. Nobody is going to park this $200k beast outside, and it'll just add more weight and glass to break.
Elon didn’t just build the Tesla car, he also built a network of thousands of charging stations all over the country. Most are at places that have a restaurant so you can get a meal during the charging. You are right about the 120v not being an option, I’m pretty sure they are all at least 220v. The charging stations are on maps in the cars flat screen and it tells you how much charge you have and how many stations are on your route. The trucks starting price is about the same as a Ford F-150. A decked out ford is actually more than the Tesla.
I read some cool things today on it. The body is frameless and made entirely of heavy gauge stainless steel. You can walk on it without it bowing or denting. The bed has a retractable cover that is sturdy enough to be walked on and is waterproof too. It is power operated and stows inside the roof. There is also a retractable ramp for it that you can drive an ATV into the bed. 0 to 60 in 2.9 seconds. (Wow) 14,000lb towing capacity. There is even a camper version that has a futuristic pop up tent in the bed. Front trunk and storage under the bed. At 160,000 miles the battery life is still supposed to be at 90%. Of course keep in mind that no car manufacturers ever actually get what they state on mileage or capabilities, but it gives you an idea.
I agree that the thing is ugly as hell, but the technology in this thing is impressive. Ford is starting a design for an electric truck, but it’s still a long ways out. As are almost all the other major manufacturers. Hopefully there will be more options for traditional styling. I bet within 5 years at least 50% of all vehicles sold will be electric, and with each year range and capabilities should increase.

Hi, Here is one problem with electric vehicles that does concern me, if you have a shunt in one and the battery catches fire, if its a lithium battery you cannot put the fire out with WATER, This poor mans Tesla burned for FOUR DAYS.

https://www.rt.com/news/474190-austria-tesla-electric-car-ash/
I remember reading that when Henry Ford started mass producing the model t the public said these would be death traps and the gasoline would explode every time they were in a wreck. Some did, but the vast majority do fine, except in Hollywood movies where a fender bender ends up in an explosion. I imagine they will become more and more safer with each passing year. I honestly never want to own a new model of any type of vehicle until it’s been on the road for a couple years and the bugs are worked out.

Latest posts

Back