Please help--want advice on an idea pro vs. con. Thank you in advance

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do plan on ruggedized notebooks, but I still want a battery-powered (ie: D, C, AA, AAA, or 9V) DVD player for certian reasons.

When the kids were small we bought them small battery operated DVD players. I also had an adapter to plug into the car port or attach to main car battery. They were about $60 at the time. Probably not as rugged as you want though. I think i still have a couple.

My SHTF scenario is there will not be electricity. Probably due to EMP.

That's why I'm stocking up on paper books and non electrical tools.

I agree that an EMP must be planned for. Creating an EMP with a high-altitude nuke seems like it would be very tempting to Iran, North Korea, or Russia.

The Carrington Event in the 1800s was a natural EMP event from the sun. Telegraph operators got some hefty shocks from using their equipment, and some operators were able to transmit messages without using electricity.

There was, evidentally, a solar flare (a "mass corona ejection") that happened to be in our direction. As you point out, if this happened today, our electronic infrastructure will get fried. This can also happen with high altitude nuclear weapons. Project Starfish was a high altitude nuke that gave off an EMP that destroyed much of the electronics in Hawai'i, and--I believe, but could be wrong--parts of Guam.

I have a cache of electronic stuff in an improvised Faraday cage made from a grounded galvanized steel garbage pail lined with rubber floor mats.

I agree that an EMP must be planned for. Creating an EMP with a high-altitude nuke seems like it would be very tempting to Iran, North Korea, or Russia.

The Carrington Event in the 1800s was a natural EMP event from the sun. Telegraph operators got some hefty shocks from using their equipment, and some operators were able to transmit messages without using electricity.

There was, evidentally, a solar flare (a "mass corona ejection") that happened to be in our direction. As you point out, if this happened today, our electronic infrastructure will get fried. This can also happen with high altitude nuclear weapons. Project Starfish was a high altitude nuke that gave off an EMP that destroyed much of the electronics in Hawai'i, and--I believe, but could be wrong--parts of Guam.

I have a cache of electronic stuff in an improvised Faraday cage made from a grounded galvanized steel garbage pail lined with rubber floor mats.

My Faraday is a large galvanized garbage can too. My husband thought I was crazy when I asked for one as a Christmas present.

Those trash can faraday cages are bunk. Put a battery powered radio in there. Put it on a local AM station, turn it up, and close it up. Do you still hear the station? Repeat for an FM station. If radio waves get in there, so will EMP (and they run much, much higher frequency)

My Faraday is a large galvanized garbage can too. My husband thought I was crazy when I asked for one as a Christmas present.
We'll see how crazy your husband finds you when something like this happens.

I do believe (note that I said "believe" and that I didn't say "know") that if a natural EMP occurs because of a coronal ejection, that it would be a good idea to keep electronics sequestered for a month.

If someone has diabetes and needs to test blood sugar, I imagine an entire Faraday cage room--a metal shed with a metal roof would probably work--and bring the person to this room to test sugar (or do whatever else that's urgent that involves electronics.

I say that a month is adequate time, as the Sun rotates on it's axis every 30 days or so.

By waiting a month, we will be either behind or ahead of the solar eruption.

Another good tip about a natural EMP is that it will cause exaggerated Northern Lights (Aurora borealis) and Southern Lights (Auroa austrialis).

During the Carrington Event, Northern Lights could be clearly seen and appreciated as far south as Jamaica (the Carribbean Ocean, not the one in Queens, New York).

If the Northern Lights (or, for that matter, the Southern Lights) are intensely active, it means the event is still ongoing.

However . . . just because these lights may have died down, it's still possible that the event is still in progress.

That's why I have dozens of cheap claculators in individual Faraday Cages made of bubble wrap and aluminum foil, and stored in a grounded steel box.

I plan to treat these calculators like canaries in a coal mine to test if the event is still occurring.

If the calculator gets fried when I try to use it, then I'll know that the event is still ongoing.

I have an immense collection of books, but I want to go a step further:

I want suggestions on a dedicated, portable, battery-powered DVD player.
I'm interested in a certian degree of ruggedness, but I realize that a DVD player is not intended-

You are doing the right thing, but maybe in the wrong direction, DVD is not a reliable storage system if you need to take it with you. Scratching and breaking them will get you lost and blind fast. Learn all you can before the SHTF, put the info (copy) onto the micro chips or USB sticks. A DVD can hold a few GB, but the new sticks and chips will keep over 60 GB of info, are easier to protect from EMP, take up less space and are also much faster with the searching that a DVD. I have three sticks with a total of 100 GB of info and they are only 1/3 full with all my stuff on them. About 175 books, from 45 to 500 pages each. Any type of smartphone with a USB cable and/or micro chip on Flightmode, will do that which you are looking for. Display, battery, re-charge, storage space, light, transportability, EMP-proofable. GP

Last edited:
You are doing the right thing, but maybe in the wrong direction, DVD is not a reliable storage system if you need to take it with you. Scratching and breaking them will get you lost and blind fast. Learn all you can before the SHTF, put the info (copy) onto the mirco chips or USB sticks. A DVD can hold a few GB, but the new sticks and chips will keep over 60 GB of info, are easier to protect from EMP, take up less space and are also much faster with the searching that a DVD. I have three sticks with a total of 100 GB of info and they are only 1/3 full with all my stuff on them. About 175 books, from 45 to 500 pages each. Any type of smartphone with a USB cable and/or micro chip on Flightmode, will do that which you are looking for. Display, battery, re-charge, storage space, light, transportability, EMP-proofable. GP
What you have to say makes sense.

Thank you. I will have to try and educate myself more about electronics. I can see how thumb drives and memory sticks might be a better way to go.

Back in the 1990s, I had to store a large number of digitized photos electronically, and went through all sorts of different storage media trying to figure out what was the most economical, most reliable, and most compact medium. As a result of that, I've been watching various media over the years to an eye for the best thing to use for long term storage. At one time I used a SyQuest drive with removable hard drives (actual hard platters just like in a regular hard drive, but in a cartridge) Those however were rather expensive and each disk was only 120 MB, so it became apparent that it wasn't an economical long term solution.

Fast forward to the early 2000's and I was recording TV Shows. Wanna eat up hard drive space in a hurry? Record a few movies in HD! I had 14 seasons of NCIS stored on my computer at one time, LOL. So again my attention was drawn to finding ways of long term storage that were feasible and economic. And because of those large files on my computer, doing a full backup became a problem (it would take something like 425 rewritable DVDs to do a full backup of just the primary drive, and I have 4 hard drives in the computer). I now back up to another high capacity hard drive.

At one time I thought USB sticks and SD cards were the ticket, until they started failing on me.

I have a very large collection of DVD and CD data disks. Optical media have been more reliable than electronic for me.
But what has been the most economic and reliable is good old fashioned hard drives. (but not the most compact) With a USB hard drive interface, OTG cable, and a USB splitter cable than can draw power from a USB charger, I can plug in a regular hard drive to my cell phone and tablet. It wasn't feasible to store large quantities of data (I'm talking terabytes) on hard drives at one time without a warehouse to hold all of them and Bloomberg's checkbook! But now with high capacity notebook hard drives that are very inexpensive, you can store immense quantities of data in duplicate in a small amount of space at relatively low cost.

The jury is still out on SSDs. They haven't been on the market long enough to know how they will hold up over time. It is possible that they will be the best medium, but based on my problems with memory sticks, I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:
Back in the 1990s, I had to store a large number of digitized photos electronically, and went through all sorts of different storage media trying to figure out what was the most economical, most reliable, and most compact medium. As a result of that, I've been watching various media over the years to an eye for the best thing to use for long term storage. At one time I used a SyQuest drive with removable hard drives (actual hard platters just like in a regular hard drive, but in a cartridge) Those however were rather expensive and each disk was only 120 MB, so it became apparent that it wasn't an economical long term solution.

Fast forward to the early 2000's and I was recording TV Shows. Wanna eat up hard drive space in a hurry? Record a few movies in HD! I had 14 seasons of NCIS stored on my computer at one time, LOL. So again my attention was drawn to finding ways of long term storage that were feasible and economic. And because of those large files on my computer, doing a full backup became a problem (it would take something like 425 rewritable DVDs to do a full backup of just the primary drive, and I have 4 hard drives in the computer). I now back up to another high capacity hard drive.

At one time I thought USB sticks and SD cards were the ticket, until they started failing on me.

I have a very large collection of DVD and CD data disks. Optical media have been more reliable than electronic for me.
But what has been the most economic and reliable is good old fashioned hard drives. (but not the most compact) With a USB hard drive interface, OTG cable, and a USB splitter cable than can draw power from a USB charger, I can plug in a regular hard drive to my cell phone and tablet. It wasn't feasible to store large quantities of data (I'm talking terabytes) on hard drives at one time without a warehouse to hold all of them and Bloomberg's checkbook! But now with high capacity notebook hard drives that are very inexpensive, you can store immense quantities of data in duplicate in a small amount of space at relatively low cost.

The jury is still out on SSDs. They haven't been on the market long enough to know how they will hold up over time. It is possible that they will be the best medium, but based on my problems with memory sticks, I'm not holding my breath.

Thank you very much. The idea of using portable hard drives hadn't occurred to me, and I think it's an excellent idea.

Thank you again.

When I move forward, I'll let everyone know what I decide to do.

Insulation like what? bubble wrap, a towel, cardboard?
I use bubble wrap, but anything NON CONDUCTIVE that gets the vulnerable electronics away from touching the mylar/ aluminium/ steel cage etc.

So in this YT video richard Hammond ues a car as a faraday cage. Because he is well inside it and not touching the metal body he is perfectly safe from the energy bolt, but I'll leave it to your imagination what would happen if he was touching the bodywork ( watch especially from 1.57)

TOLD YA BRITS ARE CRAZY

Last edited:
Point of note, Many people do not realise that electronic items inside faraday cages / bags must NOT touch the bottom/ sides / top of the cage / bag, them must be insulatation between the electronics and the faraday container.

I double up on the metal container non-contact >>> I line the interior with cushioning like 1/2" pink foam board and then wrap each electronic item separately to double up on that non-contact protection ...

Latest posts

Back