Heaviest rain in US recorded history

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent Earth

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...vention-center-overflows-9-000-survivors.html

Heaviest rain in history: Catastrophic scenes in Houston as 200,000 people are forced from their homes by flooding and 10,000 survivors fill convention center to TWICE its capacity after Harvey breaks American rainfall record

• The George R Brown Convention Center in downtown Houston, Texas, has a capacity of up to 5,000 people
  • However, Monday night 9,021 flood evacuees crammed into the center, sleeping on chairs and even the floor
  • People continued to flock to the overcrowded shelter Tuesday as Houston plans to open more mega-shelters
  • US Homeland Security Secretary Elaine Duke said there are about 20,000 Harvey evacuees in shelters
  • Louisiana Governor John Bel Edwards offered to take in evacuees from Texas even as southwest Louisiana suffers from flooding and hundreds of people were evacuated on Monday night and Tuesday morning
  • Record for rainfall for a tropical system was set Tuesday for continental US - 51.88inches in Cedar Bayou
  • Mayor Sylvester Turner implemented an overnight curfew Tuesday from 12am to 5am to prevent crime
  • Residents near Columbia Lakes were told Tuesday morning to leave immediately after a levee was breached
  • Chemical plant Arkema SA in Crosby, Texas, was evacuated Tuesday because of the rising risk of an explosion
  • Residents within 1.5miles of the chemical facility were also told to evacuate as a 'precautionary measure'
  • Public health officials warned flooding increases risk of many illnesses including bacterial and viral infections
  • At least 18 are dead but it is likely that number will rise as the floods recede and more victims are found
  • Though military help has been limited, up to 30,000 National Guard troops could be called on to help in Texas

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-overflows-9-000-survivors.html#ixzz4rEWVnZ77
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Report I saw last night was 47.2 inches since this storm began on Friday night. 27 in of that in the last two days, not counting the rains we had last night. It was heavy & i was up until 3 am keeping an eye on the levels again. Lots of reports came back n from my area with water in or about to come in from my area. It is still raining light to steady but hoping most of the heavy rainfall has moved off.

In 1985 West Virginia had almost 20 inches of rainfall and the damage was unbelievable. The hills and valleys turns large amounts of water into massive steamrollers destroying everything in it's path.....Close to 40 deaths and damage that can still be seen in some places to this day, river channels changed and had to be redone....thousands of homes turned into kindling wood, Farm Tractors and cars washed miles downstream...A Corp Of Engineers Dam, Stonewall Jackson Lake suffered 25 million in damage due to flood happening while it was being built....I was in the ARNG at the time and worked 8 days helping people get shelter, cleaning out a couple schools and loading and hauling debris to landfill.....I saw things during that time that you have to see to believe, pictures do not do it justice...I was lucky and the waters crested about 10 ft. from my home....The people affected will come back....on a side note...in 1985 no one was screaming Global Warming.....

Latest posts

Back