Corn Harvest

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most likely dent corn (it's called that because each kernel has a dent in the end of it). That's the only kind we ever grew. It's used for cornmeal and I guess animal feed. I think hominy is made from dent corn. The kernels are dry and hard compared to sweet corn when harvested. I have picked it before it dried out and cooked it. Kind of gritty and not very tasty. About all I can say for it is that it's edible. I guess it beats starving, LOL.

I wonder if deer would even like sweet corn. They go nuts over the dent corn. I tried to get the farmer that planted ours to leave a few rows unharvested. But that was way back when...it's all trees now.
Deer like any type of corn and corn fed deer have a less of a game taste then Forest type deer.
Any corner of a field is usually torn up by them.

We are surrounded by "dent" corn and collect the unpicked/unharvested cobs to use for chicken feed and we also burn the cobs when dried as a fire starter all winter. Sweet corn is still grown here and sold on the markets for about $.25 per cob and a bit more on the vacation areas to the tourists...

Latest posts

Back