Anyone here drink raw milk?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my advice for you and your heifer. Get her used to being tied with you messing with her. Get her used to you messing with her teats and udder, good way to do that is to just wash it well with a wash cloth and warm water. Tie her tail up if she's swinging it. If after all of this, learn how to hobble her hind legs or tie her near leg straight out behind her so she can't kick the heck out of you or put a foot in the milk pail. Work with her every other day or so until it's old hat to her and milking shouldn't be an "OH MY GOD WTH are you doing to me" ordeal for her. Just my two cents worth.
I have been able to mess with her teat while she is eating with no problems. So far she hasn't kicked once, but she hasn't been milked yet either. . . still young, but she is used to the idea.

Will continue to get her used to the idea. When the "time" comes. . . I am really hoping she is. I am really not looking forward to being kicked, not that it would be my first.

I hate getting kicked by cows. You never know which way it's going to come from and when you're squatting down there to milk, it puts your face at ground zero.

I took a local kid out to milk tonight. She had a blast! It was her first time and I am hoping that she will come back. Great kid and so wants to learn. She actually came over to see the piglets, but then it was milking time and she wanted to follow. She asked me if that sweet smell was the milk. . . lol

Get those seeds sown in the kids when they're young!
I just wished that we had done this years ago for our boys, but they were already in their late teens and 20's. We started the garden about 10 years ago, but on a small scale until last year. Since the boys are older and out of the house, three out of four living not in our area, they don't really get to enjoy, but when they do come home to visit, love it. I am waiting on the grandkids! We are considered the local petting zoo since all of our animals are so tame. You can even walk up to our bull and pet on him. The only thing that makes me worried with people not used to him is when he starts to dance around and swinging his head. That means he is wanting some petting.

Just make sure the cow stays out of the wild onions if you want drinkable milk that tastes nice.

Latest posts

Back