Whats in your bug out bag?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richy rich

Reaction score
hey guys im a little new to prepping. i was wondering what are some items should put in my B.O.B. and could you put a list of whats in yours to give me ideas. thanks :)

This is a good starting list. As you gain more knowledge you'll need less in your bag. Just remember knowledge is lighter than gear.

Attachments

• Urban Bug Out Bag - TheUrbanPrepper.pdf
    5.4 MB · Views: 18
Think of the basics first. Then add on to personalize.
I'll have to find my most up to date list to paste here.

It also matters what purpose your BOB is. Is it to get to your safe location? Or is it to go out and survive off indefinitely?
Once this is answered, how many days, on foot, will it take you to get to your safe location?

Most BOB's are designed for a 72 hour supply

Water is the most important. 3 days without it, and you die. (but before death, it will make EVERYTHING else much harder). In addition to some bottled water, a $20 filter straw can really open up a lot of water source options for you.

For me, a Firearm and Ammo is the next most important (you can go without food for a couple of weeks, though like a lack of water, won't be pretty). This is because your main problem in a SHTF scenario will be your fellow man.

Food is next on the list. Pack food you can eat easily while moving and that don't need preparation (since the goal is to get somewhere). Ration bars are great for this. Jerky, nuts, multi-vitamins, etc.

Shelter is next, depending on climate. In FL, I don't have to worry about the cold, but if I'm soaking wet due to rain, I won't be a happy camper, so this includes things like a poncho. Doesn't mean you need a tent, just something that will keep the elements at bay. You won't be hoofing it 24/7...you'll need to sleep sometime.

Everything else is gravy, but think about First Aid supplies, Communication (to talk to where you are going, get updates, like an AM/FM radio), and Light (so you can see at night)

It's easy to put too much in a BOB. I constantly reassessed what I needed and what I could omit, to get the weight down. Remember, you'll be carrying it for a bit if you NEED to use it.

Here's an older pic of my GHB " get home bag "

Picturekevinpicture010-1.jpg

Colt, do you have a list of what all this is? I can tell most items, but not all.

hey guys im a little new to prepping. i was wondering what are some items should put in my B.O.B. and could you put a list of whats in yours to give me ideas. thanks :)
This is a list of what my setup will be when its finished, quite a bit still needs to be purchased and added to my setup but its getting there.

Attachments

• My Newest Setup of My Loadout(8-23-2013).txt
    4 KB · Views: 17
You're carrying all that? The rope alone....(how many feet and thickness?) 50 meters of professional climbing rope is like 9 pounds alone.
More power to you. I think I'd fall right over. :D
Certainly well-equipped though.

Well when SHTF I will probably end up bugging in, but since I am moving to Southern California I am moving out of my parents house. So either I would try to make my way back up towards Sacramento or I would go with my friend to his brothers house since he lives in an area where there are no other homes around. I am not sure yet, but the whole purpose of my pack is to live off of what I can carry on my back and that is all the stuff that is going with me.

Ahh, so a true BOB vs. a GHB (Get Home Bag). Still, unless you're in a vehicle, that's a LOT to carry on you. Does your brother share your prepper ways? If that's going to be a BOL (Bug Out Location), may be a good idea to plant the seed. ;)

He's not my brother, he's my friends brother. But no he doesn't but he is the closest to where my friend and I will be living. Now if I'm still living at home and we haven't got a place yet, then I would just stay with my family because my dad shares the prepping ways. He has the tactical vest and bug out bag and firearms and the whole nine yards. Now if I had control over it I would keep my friend closer to us as well as his mom because she is an RN and no one else I know has medical training, my dad does but its been years since he has done anything really medical and that was when he was in the Navy during the 90's. Also my brother and just people I trust to give us the numbers to really have a fully functioning group. My younger brother is gamer nerd type and cant shoot a gun to save his life, my mom she can shoot pretty good but I'm afraid that she wont fully do what it takes to survive, but like I said if we have people to increase our numbers we have a better chance.

I'd agree there. Would love to have an RN in our group, but we do have an EMT, so I'm thankful for that. ;)
Good luck with your preps! By the way, two of my buddies use ALICE gear for paintball. They love it. I'm more of a MOLLE guy myself, if I were to get into it, but I can't argue with the way ALICE distributes weight.
But, it's like 90+ degrees here in the summer, so when I paintball, it's with a camo t-shirt and shorts, with a belt and a couple of ammo tubes. (I like to go full auto at times). I can take the hits, but not the heat, lol.

This is a list of what my setup will be when its finished, quite a bit still needs to be purchased and added to my setup but its getting there.

Leaving is last resort for me and like you i have a lot of stuff. I plan " god forbid " is to load the truck an haul ###.

Yeah its just those things I think about ahead of time, also my friends mom's boyfriend was in the air force, he has weapons as well and so he would be another person that would be valuable to the group, its just those things I think about. Who would be helpful to the group, does that person have certain training or at least how to shoot a firearm considerably accurate. Like I said its just those things I think about when doing this stuff.

Good to do. For me, I'm just lucky. One couple (he's a cop and former marine, she's the former EMT) for example, are friends first and foremost. We had been over each others' places many times, and the subject of the SHTF came up, and since then, the plan has been for them to come here if things go south. (they're in a housing community, so they know they'd have a lot of other survivors to contend with there).

Latest posts

Back