Tomahawk vs. Short sword vs. hammer

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
absolutly,not all can take the smell and sight of blood,even in my line of work,I've met doc's and nurses who get very uneasy of the presence of a corpse,
I had the opportunity when in school to do a voluntary training at the pathology center,did 10 "openings" as a autopsy-tech,very educational of the
human anatomy..

I like tomahawks, they are relatively light easier to pack and multi-purpose, you can practice throwing, chopping kindling and use it to defend one self. swords are cumbersome in restrictive environments such as heavy vegetation and small rooms so it's defensive use is much limited and with limited uses, hammer? depending on style some tomahawks have heads on them opposite of the blade.

For the money, you can never go wrong with cold steel tomahawks.

Never got to try it yet, but I imagine if the opposite person only has a knife and no gun, he will change his mind if he really wants a fight with someone with a tomahawk held tightly in a clenched fist. My John Lee is a eye-opener for anyone, even if they don't want any thing from me. Just seeing the thing is a quietening moment. GP

97gmsz_8.jpg
you want a longer blade,this could be yours, you just have to learn to use it like Romans did, if I'm correct instead of hacking with it they used to thrust it and so cause deeper wounds and thus more blood loss..

but as you can see in the vid,very versatile and deadly.

Not impressed. Bamboo is tough. I can cut cardboard and coke bottles with my pocket knife or a carpet cutter...I think I need to make a movie and show you what the knife I made can do. It will cut steel cables and chains and still not break. Gotta see if it will work with a movie, I'm not registered in Youtube tho...GP (yet)

I've always thought that Gray's Anatomy should be required reading for anyone who chooses to used edged weapons in self-defense.

If you study the anatomy, you can see how the nerves, blood vessels, and anchor points for the muscles and tendons are arranged.

I also have considerable experience in treating knife injuries as I was a paramedic for many years.....so, if you couple this with certain martial arts, I believe it would help your outcome in a knife fight.....and, perhaps, influence your choice of weapons.

I have tried to identify vital targets on different angles and surfaces of the human body, with the idea that I have a traget regardless of which part of the assailant's body is closest to me.

I have also sparred with magic markers as knives, so that I can see which part of the body that I've cut on my sparring partner (comparing with anatomy charts afterwords).

I've also smeared fake blood on my ka-bar, and practiced flicking it in a mannequin's eyes to momentarily sabotage the assailant's sight so that I have a reaction gap to exploit.

And so on.

I think you missed my point...

Yes a knife or tomahawk never runs out of ammo...UNTIL YOU THROW IT. Then you are out of ammo!
I once was reading rules of knife throwing when I first started practicing, and one of the first rules was never throw your only knife.
As far as best close quarters weapon I can see pros and cons of all of them. I like the look of some of those tomahawks but I don't think I would ever pay close to that much. They may be good but I'm sure they're not THAT good. .. or that much better than what else is out there.

Reminds me of something I read about the Choctaw chief Pushmataha. During the War of 1812 he trained a battalion of Choctaws that fought under General John Coffee. Pushmataha himself was a Brigadier General. They had some close quarters knife tactics that terrified their opponents. They were literally like Ninjas and could infiltrate the enemy - even in the middle of a pitched battle - and engage them in hand to hand combat using knives and win decisively every time. Casualties rates were like 8:1. They never met anyone that was their match.
Alas, those tactics and skills they used are lost to posterity.

Yup.... Going to go Tomahawk!
Prob will toss out the cash for an RMJ

Before you or anybody does that!!! Look into taking a normal hatchet or small axe and have a blacksmith do a make-over with in into a tomahawk!! Many videos in You Tube about how-to. Cut the price down, design it yourself and have a one-of-a-kind unique piece of functioning art. GP
Cheap, 16 euros. German but watch the evaluation...

Last edited:
The RMJ shrike isn’t a tomahawk it’s pretty much a breaching tool. It’s not very sharp and isn’t designed to be. It’s designed as a military breaching tool.. a Tomahawk is a fighting weapon that has tool applications. However there’s a couple different versions of the shrike. Personally I don’t see the point in paying 500 for 1075 Carbon steel. If it was 3V maybe but not 1075.

Latest posts

Back