This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It also calls for perfectly peeled eggs. That's not going to happen here with fresh eggs. They just won't peel well no matter what I do.

To peel a perfect hard-boiled egg: as soon as the eggs are done cooking, put them in VERY cold water. The sudden temp change will make the inside contract and makes the shell easier to peel off the inner membrane. :D

I roll them on the counter for a few moments. This is supposed to help separate the whites from the membrane. Then I poke a hole in the large end with a needle, put them in the pan, cover them with water, bring it to a boil. Then I remove the pan from the heat, cover it and let it sit for 15 minutes. Then I pour off the hot water and put the eggs into ice water for 15 minutes. And the shell, membrane and whites still stick together.
The only other suggestion I've had is to add 2 tablespoons of vinegar to the boiling water.
I didn't do anything special, just put them in boiling water, for fifteen minutes, then remove the pot from the heat and let cool. I tap the shell on the counter and peel under cool running water. I didn't have any issues at all. Do you give your hens laying crumble? It may make the shell easier to peel?

Actually, laying mash makes their eggshells harder. I do give it to them as a treat in the morning and evening, about 2 measuring cups shared amongst 8 hens each time. I did go ahead and make my "damaged" hard-boiled eggs into pickled eggs since they are for me anyway. They'll keep in the fridge for a couple of months. I'll have to scramble the rest of my eggs!
pickledeggs.jpg
These are sweet and spicy eggs. I used habaneros and jalapenos, red onion, a clove of garlic, sugar, salt, pickling spice and a cinnamon stick. They aren't for everyone. You can leave out the cinnamon, sugar and onion if you don't like the sweet. I love these sprinkled with tabasco sauce and pepper.

These are for storage in a cool basement which isn't much different from a refrigerator. It also calls for perfectly peeled eggs. That's not going to happen here with fresh eggs. They just won't peel well no matter what I do. I suppose I could set aside a dozen eggs, date the carton and let it sit in my fridge for 8 weeks before pickling. That canning recipe still says to eat them within 6 months. I'd rather be safe than dead, even though only one stupid person has died from botulism caused by pickled eggs. With my luck, I'd be the second even if I followed every letter of the instructions perfectly.
The way I do my hard boiled eggs. . .
I try to use small to medium sized eggs that are at least a week old. I bring my water to a rolling boil first then place in however many eggs. Cover and turn down to a simmer for 10 minutes. Pour out hot water, add ice and some cold water. Peel. Out of the 5 dozen eggs I just did, I had 4 that didn't want to peel nicely so those I used in potato salad.

This week I was able to add 10 cans of tuna and 10 cans of canned chicken to my storage. Not much but I'm on a tight budget. I have also made plans for a Bol close to home on the way to my long term location. Going to do a semi permenant shelter in the middle of the woods hidden

This week I was able to add 10 cans of tuna and 10 cans of canned chicken to my storage. Not much but I'm on a tight budget. I have also made plans for a Bol close to home on the way to my long term location. Going to do a semi permenant shelter in the middle of the woods hidden

When you write 'cans', do you mean as in tin cans or like pint/quart jars? Reason I asked as I've seen the tin can set-ups and curious about them., Costly but lasts longer than glass.

but those glass jars are reusable,that's a good thing,either for food or moonshine..

On vacation this week already went through and put away some preps that I've been acumalating here and there , worked in whats left of the garden this morning still getting lots of okra and tomatoes ocasional squash Am planning on lots of projects this week and couple fishing trips . Me and my son are going to the flea market this weekend I'm looking for preps He will most likely look for electronics or something for his car , 16 this year .

When you write 'cans', do you mean as in tin cans or like pint/quart jars? Reason I asked as I've seen the tin can set-ups and curious about them., Costly but lasts longer than glass.
Just normal cans from the store. Nothing special about them other than close to 4 year shelf life.

Ordered 8 Cree 7W 300LM Mini LED One Mode for $3.60 Includes shipping, has good reviews. I was looking for something to add to my supply store for trade items and this fit the bill.
http://www.amazon.com/Cree-300LM-Mini-Mode-Flashlight/dp/B006VPPERC/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t
NOTE: doesn't include battery as pictured

Wife was at garage sale yesterday and found a box of double bitted axe heads 11 in all (no handles) for $5.00 all in pretty good shape, I can get handles for about $7 a pc locally,
they are the old Snow & neally out of the hampden plant she figured a good buy (yap)

understand, did peak at their web-page, expensive stuff..

china??

it'sso hard to buy anything domestic nowadys....you think you have it...some small label tells it's from..........

got my self a book about camping, full of old-school things, several hundred pages of info and knowledge of how to do...and it was on sale :)
I'm collecting as many hard copy reference materials as I can. I'm really spoiled with google, you can learn anything, till you loose power.

Latest posts

Back