This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also started to get to the doc and ask for some more Iboflam or Iboprufen 600 mg for the home pharmacy and cellar. Test run the little generator, put the spare 12V battery in my sons car and will buy another to replace it in the cellar. Made some cough syrup from moonshine, mixed in some hazelnut pollen and herbs, let it stand in the east window for a month and added some honey to taste...the wife swears she has a cold now. 3 dozen more batteries in AA and AAA for the 7 flashlights in the house and car. Re-charged the lithium-ion batteries in the EDC and GHB. Sharpened 6 kitchen knives for an old friend in the next town. Called my mom in Austin to see if she finally got the pics of my grandkids/ her Great-grandkids. (totally proud now). Live free, GP

Last edited:
I've been a bit of a slacker at my prepping this month. My manager has been out of the office several days a week to help run a satellite office so I've been picking up her workload as well, and then I've been training new employees or working in the field on the weekends. I'm an introvert so dealing with people all day wears me out.

My family and prepper group are meeting every Saturday untill the Presidential election and perhaps after. We are working on everyone having all the supplies they need and training with our weapons and equipment. We are acquiring materials to store on the property, so we can quickly set up defences and start our tasks for post SHTF event. The plan is for everyone to come here in there vehicles. Everyone has bicycles and other alternative EMP proof transportation.

We are updating our operations plan tomorrow.

I got all the fruit trees pruned and the debris piled up to burn over the weekend. This was a major pruning and needed a chainsaw not just pruning shears. I still have the grape vines to prune and that will be another full day too. Then the blueberries after that. I have more respect for farmers than I ever did.

My son picked me up a Coleman Big Hat lantern with the same date (58) as my original, the new one also has the original glass. He picked it up from a moving sell on the way here, paid $5.00, I put it on the bench and everything including regulator in excellent condition.

IMG_4204A.jpg

IMG_4205B.jpg

I bought a new side by side (UTV) yesterday. Ordered a set of tracks for it and looking for a snow blower to mount on the front. It'll be a big help around here, and with the tracks it will allow to get out in case of an emergency when we're snowed in.
I realize you are dealing with snow in your neck of the woods, but we deal with mud around here. . . tracks are a BIG benefit to get you to were you need to go. We have to transfer hay from the tractor with spear to skid skeer that has tracks to take out to pastures.

I realize you are dealing with snow in your neck of the woods, but we deal with mud around here. . . tracks are a BIG benefit to get you to were you need to go. We have to transfer hay from the tractor with spear to skid skeer that has tracks to take out to pastures.
Our mud season here only lasts for about 3 weeks during spring break up. The rest of the year is either dry or covered in snow. The tracks will be a big benefit for feeding too. I'll buy or build a sled to haul hay out to the cattle. Having a heated cab will be nice too. This winter I've been having a hard time staying warm.

My wife has been sick for a while now so I’ve spent a lot of the weekend cleaning and catching up the laundry, etc. I did have to replace the washing machine, got the wood stocked back up inside for the wood stove, and went grocery shopping. Even went out for salmon for lunch. I’m planning to take the camper out for a few days and am trying to decide where to go. Leaning towards St. Augustine right now or maybe Savanna or Charleston. Just want a change of scenery for a few days.

My son picked me up a Coleman Big Hat lantern with the same date (58) as my original, the new one also has the original glass. He picked it up from a moving sell on the way here, paid $5.00, I put it on the bench and everything including regulator in excellent condition.

View attachment 9864
View attachment 9865

love those big hat lanterns - rarely see them around here >>> it's a pity that nobody wants the white gas lanterns & stoves anymore - it's propane or the multi-fuels now ...

love those big hat lanterns - rarely see them around here >>> it's a pity that nobody wants the white gas lanterns & stoves anymore - it's propane or the multi-fuels now ...

Love the white fuel stoves and lanterns, I have quite a few and still use them.

Not only is collecting them kind of a cool hobby but I think having multiple options to light up your place is a good idea.

cheap as the used ones are these days it pays to have a number of them around >>>> 100+ watts of lumination - get them up off the ground hanging 5-6 feet and you have a nice circle of lighting - good security for a perimeter during a grid down ....

Just booked 4 nights at a campground in ORMOND beach Fla. got a river front site to relax in and unwind. Close enough to visit family and old friends and far enough to be away from everything for a few days. Wish it was an entire week but this was the most I could reserve. Apparently all the campsites in fla fill up with snowbirds all winter. Damned tourists....

So I got to use a small part of my preps yesterday and today. A pipe bursted in my apartment and flooded everything, pretty much everything in my bathroom upstairs and a lot of things downstairs in the kitchen were ruined. But of course I had extras of all my essentials in my prepper stash so I still had everything I needed to get to bed for the night and ready for work in the morning. Even if it's a small thing, or if it's something big, I want to be ready.
Of course now I have to clean this whole mess up and see what, if anything, can be salvaged. Fortunately the things I really care about are kept in safe places.

Before this latest storm hit I stocked up on canned goods and fuel for the generators. Our freezers are full of pork, beef and chickens that we raised. So far today we've had over 2 feet of new snow, on top of 3-4 feet, and it's still coming down. I spent most of the day shoveling, snowblowing and plowing.
We're down to about 3 weeks worth of hay for the cattle and no way to bring more in. I'm hoping to get the road open by next week and pick up a few more loads of hay. Fortunately we haven't had any more calves born since the last one got eaten.
I'm thinking about joining Brent down in Florida right about now.

I tried to get our family physician to write a script for a good general antiobitic just for prepping. He said he would think about it and never did. I’m sure he was thinking another crazy prepper....

I'm not surprised. Antibiotics dont keep very long and unlike some medications they can do a lot more damage than good if used after their date. Also "General Antibiotic" isnt really a thing. There are wide spectrum gram negative antibiotics and wide spectrum gram positive, but about 7 major classes of antibiotics that affect different types of bacteria, and no single chemical can kill everything. I am a biology major and I'm looking into learning to make antibiotics because lack of information and misuse has already lead to a worsening superbug situation. It would have been borderline malpractice for your physician to give you a random antibiotic to use without direction possibly years from now.

The blue mold that grows on bread and oranges is penicillium (the fungus that produces penicillin). Without modern antibiotics around, in an emergency situation scrapping off some of this mold and putting it on the open would may be a better chance of aseptic than expired tetracycline.

Latest posts

Back