This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you imagine all the knowledge old people take with them? Blacksmiths, cobblers, woodworkers, seamstress, bakers. They have a lifetime of things they learned and will take it with them when we could all use it.
One reason I have written so much survival things and info down for my kids to read later...GP

Can you imagine all the knowledge old people take with them? Blacksmiths, cobblers, woodworkers, seamstress, bakers. They have a lifetime of things they learned and will take it with them when we could all use it.
One reason I have written so much survival things and info down for my kids to read later...GP
We have lost so many skills. My mom embraced suburban life with open arms, so she never taught me any of my grandparent’s skills. By the time I wanted to learn it was pretty much too late. I have self taught myself some skills, and my husband was exposed to some skills so he taught me a bit. So we can recover these lost skills.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm glad I spend time with my grandparents growing up and learned a few things that will come in handy. I hope if I ever have children I can pass them along, but the world is changing so much they probably wouldn't have any interest anyway.

I hope if I ever have children I can pass them along, but the world is changing so much they probably wouldn't have any interest anyway.
My life long dream was to have a large property with enough room for family. I offered to deed 100 acres to each of the kids. They aren't interested. I offered to give the entire property, livestock, equipment, etc to my son, not interested. Three of my grandsons are more interested in their hair, clothing and computer games than they are in this place or us. My last hope is my 3 year old grandson. Yes, times have changed, and changed too much. I figure that I can realistically manage this place on my own for probably another 10 years. Although some days it seems like its too much now.

We have lost so many skills. My mom embraced suburban life with open arms, so she never taught me any of my grandparent’s skills. By the time I wanted to learn it was pretty much too late. I have self taught myself some skills, and my husband was exposed to some skills so he taught me a bit. So we can recover these lost skills.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I know exactly what you mean. . . . I have had to be self taught too. I never got to live close to my grandparents on my mom's side and my dad's parents both passed early in my life. Some skills can be learned out of books or the internet, but until you actually do some of them you just don't get the full aspect of it. Take quilting for instance. Cutting all those two inch squares and trying to get them seen together. . .learn the short cut of two and a quarter strips sewn together then cut. or the flying geese. . You see your squares then cut. You learn the tricks of the trade by doing. It would be nice to be able to have learned some of these things first hand by someone who does. Canning was another trial by error for me. Now days all books will say to process pickled items, when it is really not necessary. Just invert and let cool. And then of course the no this is not deemed safe any more. . . So it is no longer published in books. I had to search for pumpkin puree and finally found out how.

I hope if I ever have children I can pass them along, but the world is changing so much they probably wouldn't have any interest anyway.
My children and your future children will be interested in that which we show them. They are unwritten books and living arrows. My daughter was at a party once when she was 31 and spoke to a man around 50. They were discussing the music being played and the man said oldies would be better. Patricia immediately said yes indeed. He looked and asked her what she would know from "oldies" and couldn't even name one she wasn't even old enough. Promptly came: Puff the magic dragon- Peter, Paul and Mary! Him: WTF! She: grew up with oldie parties with my parents...
They know and like them still. Living arrows, teach them, train them and shoot them into life prepared for life.
Like Doreena, I learned nothing from the grandparents. Little from the parents. All my knowledge came from raising myself after they divorced when I was 6 and I left home at 17 and never went back. In Germany at 19, learned to cook from my wife and mother in law. Survival is self-taught, worked in 14 different jobs in America before I left and another 11 here in Germany. All self-taught. Writing a survival book for the kids and translating it into English for Clyde at the moment...GP

Canning, quilting, sewing, fishing, hunting, archery, knife and ax throwing, knife making, woodwork, welding, tiling, roofing, sheet-rocking, upholstery, concreteing, cooking, baking, electrical, pipefitting, automotive, motorcycle riding, massage, I have read so many books and worked in so many jobs as possible to learn to survive. GP

My life long dream was to have a large property with enough room for family. I offered to deed 100 acres to each of the kids. They aren't interested. I offered to give the entire property, livestock, equipment, etc to my son, not interested. Three of my grandsons are more interested in their hair, clothing and computer games than they are in this place or us. My last hope is my 3 year old grandson. Yes, times have changed, and changed too much. I figure that I can realistically manage this place on my own for probably another 10 years. Although some days it seems like its too much now.
most people are too far removed from the land these days, it is said in UK we are 4 generations removed from our agricultural roots, more interested in computers, phones, iplayers, games etc.etc. I guess.
they even have to ask "alexa" what time it is!!

most people are too far removed from the land these days, it is said in UK we are 4 generations removed from our agricultural roots, more interested in computers, phones, iplayers, games etc.etc. I guess.
they even have to ask "alexa" what time it is!!
I've always said that in the city where I grew up, people were "close to the land." Everyone I knew had "country cousins", or, as in our case, had farms themselves even though they lived in the city. My home address was in the city, but I spent as much time as I possibly could out in the country. I spent a lot of time with my grandmother whose washing machine was a cauldron in the back yard with a fire under it to heat the water.

Last edited:
most people these days especially in the UK don't have a clue about the countryside or agriculture, they know all about computers and mobile phones but nothing about rural stuff, some kids think you get eggs from cows and i'm not joking.
although I was brought up in a city I was always a country boy at heart, my mother was a farmers daughter, and I spent as much time as I could in the countryside, mostly alone.

some kids think you get eggs from cows and i'm not joking.
I had a friend in college that thought that rice was manufactured in a factory. He would not believe that it grew on a plant. I had to take him to a rice field in the Mississippi Delta and pull up a rice plant and show him the grains of rice on it before he would believe me.

there was a joke played on the nation back in the 60s a reporter-I think it was David Dimbleby-well known at the time, he reported that Spaghetti grew on trees and even showed a tree with long strands of spaghetti hanging from it, a bit like weeping willows, many people accepted it as fact.
okay, its was 1957: news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/witness/april/1/newsid_4362000/4362667.stm

Last edited:
I recently ordered a pair of chopper mittens when I placed my trapping supply order. They we're advertised as leather with fleece lining. The price was only $8.95 so I didn't expect much. When they arrived they looked like a quality made in USA product, real leather and real wool fleece. This morning was finially cold enough to try them out and they exceeded my expectations. They are roomy enough that I can wear my wool gloves with them when it's really cold.

i bought me a a solar phone charger and a emergency radio with solar panel and hand crank..we had a planed outage this last Monday.on account Oncor is up dating the power lines and all.the solar charger paid for it self that day.and as for the radio goes.I'm still iffy on that one..

I recently ordered a pair of chopper mittens when I placed my trapping supply order. They we're advertised as leather with fleece lining. The price was only $8.95 so I didn't expect much. When they arrived they looked like a quality made in USA product, real leather and real wool fleece. This morning was finially cold enough to try them out and they exceeded my expectations. They are roomy enough that I can wear my wool gloves with them when it's really cold.
It's always nice when you find bargains like that.

Ceiling painting is done and got the first coat on the walls. This master bedroom remodel has been going on for a year or so. I’m ready for it to be over though.... need one more coat on the walls and two coats on the trim and doors. Then a good cleaning up before getting a king size bed and some kind of furniture to go in it. Light at the end of the tunnel... when I was younger and had more fire in the belly this would have been a month long project.

So I have finally decided to reduce my collection of air rifles down to two bullpups over the next year, the lighter weight and far more compact dimensions of modern bullpups means I can shoot from the inside of the car if neccessary, plus lighter weight and shorter length means moving around in woodland is that much easier.

Few weeks ago, I found an old dyno pocket lamp from WWII times belonged my grandpa. You had to pull a string in one direction and than into the opposite, and a little dyno inside provided enough light to find the exit of the basement bomb shelter.

Now, in the consumption paradise, I thought, what if... and start to prep again.

Growing up in East Germany in the seventies and eighties, it was a economic / social crisis in slow mo. And a preppers paradise. We bunkered coal for heating and potatoes in rough quantities to avoid the permanent queuing for everything. I have just to remember what my parents/grandparents did. Some of the memories were;
Instead of a car, use a trolley and/or a bicycle to bear the bags and food to bug out; you have to walk; cars would not work. Be ready to march 50 km/35 miles, not more, to find the shelter in rural areas, as the bombed outs civilists in Germany of WWII did. That may work for the most incidients and for a month or two.

I had a few friends and family over from my prepper group. We tried out a new hand water pump, it worked perfectly. Even a small child of 6 or 7 can pump the water.

We also put up a HAM radio antenna in the trees, it recieved very well through these thick trees.

We also practiced shooting our Daisy bb guns.

22774b.jpg
bought this combo,that burner goes inside a metall box I got when I bought a new watch and those legs turn in,so it's easier to pack it away,

Latest posts

Back