This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still have plenty room in there. My 2 main concerns, is my 2 lil dogs, and us getting out afterwards .the reason I went with that tent, is because I figured the dogs and me. might have to live out of it until we can get relocated after a tornado.
A lil used popup camper can be a lifesaver. Very mobile, easy to tow with most any vehicle.

But it hold up against a tornado. That's why I fixed up the closet floor, as a tornado safe room.

Edit. I thought of burying a catch. But I have to until I have, what's needed for that first.

But it hold up against a tornado.
LOL, true that!

But they definitely have a place. When I was growing up, we took two extended trips out West and stayed at all the major (and many minor) National Parks in a pop-up camper. Six of us! We camped in that thing in every state of the lower 48 west of the Missouri River and in two Canadian provinces. Well, I slept under the stars on a cot most of the time, and sometimes in the back of the station wagon while my three sisters slept in the camper.

That is awesome Rellgar! At their age and where they are going, they won't have the extra room to have all that stuff anyhow. I am sure that they are just happy to be giving it to someone who can use it and even appreciate it. Most don't anymore and new buyers would probably consider it just junk and throw it. In a way your doing you both favors. It sounds like you are trying to 'repay' and show your appreciation as best you can with what you have available. Just a thought, if you can make a frame out of some of the wood they give you. Take a picture of some nice place of their property, enlarge if possible so when they look at that picture hanging on their wall they could remember the old homestead. It wouldn't be an expensive project and I would think very sentimental for them.

Had a pretty good day today. I got the new hot tub around back and set up on the deck. It's filled and running but is about 75 degrees right now so it will be the morning before it's ready . I got the old one drug announced to the front and ready to load on a trailer for the dump. I used the tractor to move that one and wasn't real gentle or careful about it since it's going to the dump. Then I worked around the yard, cut some firewood and stacked, picked up some stuff that I'd been putting off for too long, made dinner, cleaned up the kitchen really well, racked a 5 gal jug of wine, picked the very last of the muscadine grapes and I just made a glass of wine. That last part there will ensure I'm done for the day! I'm beat, but it's a good feeling after accomplishing some things that needed doing.

Its been raining most of the day so it has been a sewing day. Hunny took me by the fabric store yesterday on our way home from picking up feed. They were having a 50% off sale on their Keepsake Calico which is what I use for my quilting. Since I am waiting around on the garden, thought I would go ahead and start working on the next grand daughter quilt due in April. Got about half my squares cut and two Gentlemen's Fancy blocks done for the quilt top. Only 7 more to go! Its a lot of piecing. . . more than the last quilt. Took me a few times of ripping out and just walking away from the first block to figure out how to sew it, but got it now thank goodness!! First time doing this pattern. Really need to find less complicated blocks since this is a new hobby of mine.

Its been raining most of the day so it has been a sewing day. Hunny took me by the fabric store yesterday on our way home from picking up feed. They were having a 50% off sale on their Keepsake Calico which is what I use for my quilting. Since I am waiting around on the garden, thought I would go ahead and start working on the next grand daughter quilt due in April. Got about half my squares cut and two Gentlemen's Fancy blocks done for the quilt top. Only 7 more to go! Its a lot of piecing. . . more than the last quilt. Took me a few times of ripping out and just walking away from the first block to figure out how to sew it, but got it now thank goodness!! First time doing this pattern. Really need to find less complicated blocks since this is a new hobby of mine.
Most really good things in life take a lot of effort!

Most really good things in life take a lot of effort!
Well, it really helped when I put in the 8 triangles I accidentally left out. . . :oops:. It was one of those smack me in the head moments. There is 60 pieces per a 12 " x 12 " square. Its like a freaking puzzle. I originally was going to do only 9 squares but the more I think about it, I really need to go up to 16 blocks to match big sis's size of a baby quilt. I may come up with just a boarder around. I got time to figure it out.

Got the generator wired to the cabin today. Now we have electric. Ran the generator for 7-1/2 hours.....until it shut down due to engine overheating. I'm surprised the building didn't catch fire. Some of my tools were too hot to touch. I'll pick up a fan to put in the window to help cool the engine. And get a remote thermometer so I can monitor the temps inside the generator building from inside the cabin. Put up another solar powered motion sensor light on the outside of the generator building. It comes on when I step off the front porch and covers the area where the firewood is stacked.

I have been working on meal prep for the week (for the last couple of weeks). It helps me stick to my diet and not spend money on junk food. I have also been trying to go to the gym more often and just started a night course this week. We had a wasp infestation in our attic. We had to have it sprayed. We are still finding dead wasp all over the place. I have started buying a few Christmas gifts each week, so that December doesn't come and destroy me. I want to continue to get thing to fill up my car bag. I went indoor skydiving about 10days ago. My hair was one tangled mess. Guess what I don't have in my bag?...a hair brush. I am sure I will discover good things to put in there once I find myself in situations without them.

If its windy outside, my hair is always in a braid or it would be one tangled mess too :). I maybe getting old but I still wear it to about the middle of my back. Mom always had a hairbrush in the glove box along with her touch up makeup.

Got the generator wired to the cabin today. Now we have electric. Ran the generator for 7-1/2 hours.....until it shut down due to engine overheating. I'm surprised the building didn't catch fire. Some of my tools were too hot to touch. I'll pick up a fan to put in the window to help cool the engine. And get a remote thermometer so I can monitor the temps inside the generator building from inside the cabin. Put up another solar powered motion sensor light on the outside of the generator building. It comes on when I step off the front porch and covers the area where the firewood is stacked.
Do you have the exhaust vented well outside the building? Just remember carbon monoxide kills people every winter from generators.

Do you have the exhaust vented well outside the building? Just remember carbon monoxide kills people every winter from generators.
I ran the exhaust out through the wall and up to the roof. There's one large muffler inside and another muffler outside. I have two screened openings with louvers, one on each end of the building, and another slider window on another wall. I forget to open the slider last night. Today I opened the window and that kept the temp down. I think I'll cut another hole in the wall and add an electric fan to help with the ventilation and cooling for the summer.

If its windy outside, my hair is always in a braid or it would be one tangled mess too :). I maybe getting old but I still wear it to about the middle of my back. Mom always had a hairbrush in the glove box along with her touch up makeup.
I have a hairbrush in my school back pack, home, work desk...but apparently not in my car (although I do now. I bought one yesterday on my afternoon break). My hair is pretty short. It stays about shoulder length because it won't grow any longer than that. Even as a kid I have always had shorter hair. It is fine and tangles at the drop of a hat. All my cousins have or had long thick beautiful hair... I got jipped somewhere along the way. :) I am also going to buy a comb to put in the bag as well

I started my shopping list for next month.gonna try canning stew for the 2nd time. Seeing how the first time was a failure.
Practice makes perfect ;). Besides, wasn't it a cooker you tried the first time or am I thinking wrong? Just remember to wipe your rims using vinegar to remove any oil before putting your lids on.

A pressure cooker. Only thing I can figure.it was the canned veggies. Gonna get yum from the produce section this time.

A pressure cooker. Only thing I can figure.it was the canned veggies. Gonna get yum from the produce section this time.
Canned anything is not good in a pressure cooker. There is no point, its allready been canned. Use everything fresh and raw.

Latest posts

Back