This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim I stocked up on xtra toilet paper also and realized it takes up to much space, so I ordered 3 portable bidet bottles to use in place of TP if SHTF, it works well unless you have one of those sticky movements, lol

I am still cleaning out tossing stuff and reorganizing. I bought 3 milk crates today. They hold exactly 4 one gallon jugs of water. I have room for one more milk crate, so I will pick one up in the next week or so. That will give me a total of 16 gallons of water storage. I also ordered jumper cables for my car.

yeah.those milk creates do come in handy..

doesn't some place where you live,have good jumper cables worth buying?

yeah.those milk creates do come in handy..

doesn't some place where you live,have good jumper cables worth buying?
Probably, but I don't really know what would be good or where to buy. These are approved by AAA. They come in a zipper bag so they don't lay all over my trunk. They were $20.00. Maybe that's too much? Not sure, but better to have them than not.

Ha ha don't count me out just yet :)
I know I have a lot to learn. One step at a time. Once I put my mind to something (prepping) I usually do okay. It's my goal to prep and not be dependent on others for anything unless I can absolutely help it.
Everyone has to start somewhere and you have a good attitude about it. You'll do fine. Little by little your preps will add up and you will learn to live everyday life with them.

Tomorrow morning the generator gets hard wired into the house and Friday the propane tank gets delivered and hooked up. We have another storm brewing in the Atlantic and yesterday heard it will probably come into the Gulf. Hoping we won't need it, but at least this would make life sooooo much easier if we do.

Tomorrow morning the generator gets hard wired into the house and Friday the propane tank gets delivered and hooked up. We have another storm brewing in the Atlantic and yesterday heard it will probably come into the Gulf. Hoping we won't need it, but at least this would make life sooooo much easier if we do.
I've never needed mine since I put it in, but am so glad I went through the effort. You will be so much better off with the propane than gasoline too. No bad gasoline after a year, no gummed up carboureator, and a lot of fuel stored in a 500 gal tank. Let's hope we never need to use them, but here's to knowing we can.

So I built a really nice pig pen. It's 16'×40' with a 6'×8' shelter, complete with a window. The water trough is up on a wood deck to keep the area mud free. I used livestock panels for the fencing with a 2×6 top and bottom rail.
The problem is I had forgotten just how small weaner pigs are. They can easily fit through the openings in the livestock panels. For now the pigs are in the barn stalls. Once they get a little bigger I'll move them in to the pen. I've started fencing in about 10 acres that will eventually become the pig pasture, when I get it finished anyway.

So I built a really nice pig pen. It's 16'×40' with a 6'×8' shelter, complete with a window. The water trough is up on a wood deck to keep the area mud free. I used livestock panels for the fencing with a 2×6 top and bottom rail.
The problem is I had forgotten just how small weaner pigs are. They can easily fit through the openings in the livestock panels. For now the pigs are in the barn stalls. Once they get a little bigger I'll move them in to the pen. I've started fencing in about 10 acres that will eventually become the pig pasture, when I get it finished anyway.
Had the same problem with baby goats slipping thru the cattle fencing. Most of them learned pretty quick, except one so far. She was natorious on getting out & then crying about it!!

The generator got wired into this house this morning but there is still about an hours job on it. The propane tank will not be here until tomorrow morning and after that the electrician will come back out to finish the job. I dont trust my sweet guy around the house electricity. . . I want to keep him around even though he has a nice life insurance policy. ;)

Took my BBQ cucumber chips out of the dehydrator and then added in some sliced tomatoes, eggplant, Tabasco & jalapeño peppers. Still need to do more spaghetti squash, but that will have to wait till tomorrow cause all my trays are full.

Also still working on raising empty beds out n the garden. This morning I added in a frontend load to all my empty rows. I am only about 1/2 way of getting those spread out before I till this evening. Little by little it is getting done. Tomorrow I'll start adding the mulch but at least it is light weight so shouldn't take half the day.

All the seeds we just bought have now been organized and ready this go. Hoping to get some butter beans in the ground by tomorrow. I have a ziplock bag that holds a certain category of seeds, like all lettuce, all herbs, etc. And in those ziplocks i have each individual package of seed. . . yes, I'm anal like that. Just easier to find what i am looking for instead of sifting threw all of them. I also keep them in two separate containers. One for beans and corn and another for all others. I used to keep spring/fall but to many things that are planted early spring can be planted early fall too here.

Looks like a good chance of rain this next week with the storm moving in but at least no hurricane. Temps should be going in the upper 80s. . . that will be nice!!

The generator got wired into this house this morning but there is still about an hours job on it. The propane tank will not be here until tomorrow morning and after that the electrician will come back out to finish the job. I dont trust my sweet guy around the house electricity. . . I want to keep him around even though he has a nice life insurance policy. ;)

Took my BBQ cucumber chips out of the dehydrator and then added in some sliced tomatoes, eggplant, Tabasco & jalapeño peppers. Still need to do more spaghetti squash, but that will have to wait till tomorrow cause all my trays are full.

Also still working on raising empty beds out n the garden. This morning I added in a frontend load to all my empty rows. I am only about 1/2 way of getting those spread out before I till this evening. Little by little it is getting done. Tomorrow I'll start adding the mulch but at least it is light weight so shouldn't take half the day.

All the seeds we just bought have now been organized and ready this go. Hoping to get some butter beans in the ground by tomorrow. I have a ziplock bag that holds a certain category of seeds, like all lettuce, all herbs, etc. And in those ziplocks i have each individual package of seed. . . yes, I'm anal like that. Just easier to find what i am looking for instead of sifting threw all of them. I also keep them in two separate containers. One for beans and corn and another for all others. I used to keep spring/fall but to many things that are planted early spring can be planted early fall too here.

Looks like a good chance of rain this next week with the storm moving in but at least no hurricane. Temps should be going in the upper 80s. . . that will be nice!!
That's good that you're hard wiring the genset to the house and plumbing it to the propane tank. Are you going with an auto start switch gear? I'm hoping that my generator will be here in a couple of weeks. I'm going to start excavating the site for our "power plant" building tonight. This building will house the generator, battery bank and inverters. The solar panels will be a couple hundred feet away and up the hill. It'll be nice when I can quit running these gas generators every day. Right now I'm spending about $150 a week on gas for 3 generators. Once the solar is up I shouldn't need to run the diesel unit except for pumping water.

That's good that you're hard wiring the genset to the house and plumbing it to the propane tank. Are you going with an auto start switch gear? I'm hoping that my generator will be here in a couple of weeks. I'm going to start excavating the site for our "power plant" building tonight. This building will house the generator, battery bank and inverters. The solar panels will be a couple hundred feet away and up the hill. It'll be nice when I can quit running these gas generators every day. Right now I'm spending about $150 a week on gas for 3 generators. Once the solar is up I shouldn't need to run the diesel unit except for pumping water.
Ours is a 16 kW Generac system with the automatic switch box. . . so when lights go off, the generator takes over till the power gets back on. The switch box to mounted on the outside of the house by our breaker box and we poured a concert slab in front of that for the generator. If in city limits learned that it does need to be 5 foot away but we didn't need to worry since we are not in a city. I am hoping we can get solar one day, but I am pushing my hunny with baby steps. It would be so easy to attach to the backside of our roof. We don't have many trees in the back that would block the sunlight, actually one, but not for very long.

Ours is a 14kw generac. They tried their best to make me pay them $100 a year for 'maintenance' (also known as an oil and filter change). I do it for $25 or $30. More than annual if it does more than it's weekly test.

Works great. We got it after a really big tornado, and it didn't run much for a couple years. Then we got another round and we were the only lights in the area. Runs the entire house (AC included). Would definitely do it again.

I've got a 10kw Generac. It's a good unit but it won't start the well pump. My well pump is 5 hp and needs at least 30 amps to start. The Generac is only 30 amp so it just trips the breaker. I'll probably sell it once I get the new generator and solar on line.

Latest posts

Back