This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dotty finally had her babes last Fri. These two will be the last for a few months Penelope is just on a different schedule than the rest of my girls.

Attachments

• IMG_20170127_124152.jpg
    IMG_20170127_124152.jpg
    582.3 KB · Views: 19
Finally finished wiring the barn on Friday. I put in LED lighting. These lights are really bright. I think I'll use LED's for all my lighting when I build the house and shop too. Later this week I'll pick up the lumber for the loft. I'm going to use 6x6 posts and beams with 2x8 floor joists and 3/4" plywood for the floor. I'm anxious to start working on some outside projects but we're still buried under 5 feet of snow. They're predicting snow every day for the next two weeks too. Oh well, still have lots of work to finish inside the barn.

I went to Wally World today. I had some extra money so went to stock up on things while I had the chance. Got a stack of toilet paper, lots of soaps, and general supplies for the pantry. Kind of depressing as 180.00 later and I really didn't bring home any food! Oh well, could be worse, at least I was able to get things I use anyway. I did score a deal there. I'm guessing bow season is over as they have most of the archery stuff discounted now. I got several packs of razor broad tips for less than half price. The arrows weren't marked down yet, but I'll keep an eye out for them over the next couple weeks. Espechially on stuff I don't use much, but think it's worth stocking up for prepping, I only buy it when it's on a good sale.

Finally finished wiring the barn on Friday. I put in LED lighting. These lights are really bright. I think I'll use LED's for all my lighting when I build the house and shop too.

So expensive upfront, but they use SO much less power, and last longer, so you do save in the long run...just a lot of upfront cost. I'm gradually changing out all of my house lights for LED (as they blow out, etc.). Seems I went to the new twisty bulbs not too long ago. (which are still less than standard, but still more power consumption than LEDs...and not as bright).

Ordered a couple of Streamlight ProTac railmount (88059) lights and MagPul MOE m-lok Forend for the Remington 870P and 870 Tactical. Finished last night installing the Mesa Tactical saddle on both. Ordered a few more of the shemagh's from Army Universe.

I like guns, but man, that is like a whole other language to me right there....lol.

I'm anxious to start working on some outside projects but we're still buried under 5 feet of snow

Yeah, though nothing like what you guys see, but for US...it's cold. Only in the 40's, but to a Floridian, that is Arctic. (and too cold to do too much outside). We only get like a couple of weeks like this each year, but seems it's been most of the month this way, this year.

For one thing though, we just don't have the clothes for being out for a while in cold weather. Where the hell am I going to get a full winter coat in Florida? (except ordering online)

Yeah, though nothing like what you guys see, but for US...it's cold. Only in the 40's, but to a Floridian, that is Arctic. (and too cold to do too much outside). We only get like a couple of weeks like this each year, but seems it's been most of the month this way, this year.

For one thing though, we just don't have the clothes for being out for a while in cold weather. Where the hell am I going to get a full winter coat in Florida? (except ordering online)
40's is cold for Florida. I was in Naples one year around Christmas time and it was in the 50's. I dang near froze my tail off. Cold weather and deep snow is normal where I am, but what's not normal is there hasn't been any break in the cold or snow and almost no sunny days. With only a couple exceptions it hasn't been above 20 degs since November, most days are in the teens and colder at night. And there hasn't been more than 3 days between storms. It snowed 3" yesterday and they're calling for another foot tonight and tomorrow.
Since we get very little rain in the summer we need a deep snow pack. I just picked a heck of a winter to camp out. At least my wife has her own place in Alaska and I don't have to listen to her whining.

I put up a gallon of carrots that was ready from the garden by blanching a couple minutes laying on a cookie sheet and flash freezing, then vacuum seal in single serving sizes for freezer . When I was prepping for Norm to come back, I canned up most all of the veggies I had in the freezer so trying to replace what I took out as I really prefer frozen verses canned. I had leftover beef/pasta soup that I threw into the dehydrator and then vacuum sealed. Other than feeding ans spending some time with the babies, I crocheted on a couple different projects going on.

My wife bought a new bug out back after Christmas. It's smaller than mine, but she can overload it easily. I need to get off my butt and rework mine.

I put up a gallon of carrots that was ready from the garden by blanching a couple minutes laying on a cookie sheet and flash freezing, then vacuum seal in single serving sizes for freezer . When I was prepping for Norm to come back, I canned up most all of the veggies I had in the freezer so trying to replace what I took out as I really prefer frozen verses canned. I had leftover beef/pasta soup that I threw into the dehydrator and then vacuum sealed. Other than feeding ans spending some time with the babies, I crocheted on a couple different projects going on.
There's something wrong with still calling him Norm after he was sent away..... I think it's time to rename him to Sir Loin or something :).

My wife bought a new bug out back after Christmas. It's smaller than mine, but she can overload it easily. I need to get off my butt and rework mine.
It's an ever evolving thing. It really is good to swap out perishables in them. I have two plus yr old mre's in the boot of the car still. Those will go strait to the trash... I did get a pretty good backpack at Walmart a few days ago. On clearance from 42.00 to 7.00. I'm a sucker for a bargain. Bags are always good for storage anyways. My problem is I have so much crap there's no way I could carry it better than three or four miles.

I ran across a pic of him tonight when just a couple months old, . . . he will forever be Norm to me since he was a bottle feed calf, but he sure does taste good! Believe me, I shed some tears bringing this 900 lb babe in.

it's a rainy wet day out.and no where to go,untill tomorrow.thats when i'll be doing my primary shopping for the month..so today,im sharpening some knifes somewhat...

Our last storm dumped a couple feet of snow, then freezing rain, high winds and back to snow again. We had one day this past week that got above freezing but still no sun. I've been spending 8-10 hours every day this past week trying to clear the road. Ran out of fuel yesterday for the generator and tractor and had to attempt driving out to get more fuel. Even with tire chains on, my truck slid off the road in a step narrow section. Luckily the snow bank kept me from rolling the truck over and down the hill. A couple hours of digging and I was back on the road again. The wife fly's in tomorrow morning for her monthly visit, but since we had more heavy snow today I had to leave the ranch early tonight. So needless to say I haven't done much in the way of prepping, but did have to dig in to some of my supplies. I'm looking forward to Spring, or at least a sunny day.
IMG_20170203_145031138.jpg

Our last storm dumped a couple feet of snow, then freezing rain, high winds and back to snow again. We had one day this past week that got above freezing but still no sun. I've been spending 8-10 hours every day this past week trying to clear the road. Ran out of fuel yesterday for the generator and tractor and had to attempt driving out to get more fuel. Even with tire chains on, my truck slid off the road in a step narrow section. Luckily the snow bank kept me from rolling the truck over and down the hill. A couple hours of digging and I was back on the road again. The wife fly's in tomorrow morning for her monthly visit, but since we had more heavy snow today I had to leave the ranch early tonight. So needless to say I haven't done much in the way of prepping, but did have to dig in to some of my supplies. I'm looking forward to Spring, or at least a sunny day.
View attachment 6517

Tell me about it. Since Christmas we have had 4 days where we've seen the sun. Our default weather is fog, generally freezing fog, around here. I'm looking forward to spring!

Well ive been subbed to Battlbox for several months now .. Just got this months box couple days ago -sitrep " Camp Chef" pretty cool got a camp stove compact fuel can type, very similar to my MSR pocket rocket, got aReadyman card which becomes a skewer that you can attach to a stick for roasted dogs or w/e meat you happen to kill, multi compartment seasoning container, a telescopic skewer, and a recipe book for outdoors cooking tips and tricks. been a pretty good investment so far ! cant beat someone else doing your shopping using there gas and there time for only 25 bucks a month? ill take it ! soon as i quit being lazy ill take a pic of the last 4 months worth of shit ive gotten from them quite a bit of stuff...

I finally got all the leaves from my 2.5 acre property picked up and put in the garden! I took the small mower and mulched them all down to a finely ground mulch that's about 4 inches thick over the entire garden. I'm hoping to till it in good tomorrow. I also started picking up the firewood and kindling from the fruit trees I took down. I decided to thin out some trees that I had planted too close to each other. Normally I would just drag the brush to the burn pile, but I'm taking a machete and making kindling out of most of it. I don't know if it's really worth it, but it feels good to not waste much of them. I do heat mostly with fire all winter, but am glad that I don't have to cook year round at least. Keeping up with firewood is a lot of work! Just imagining having to do it without the chainsaw makes me tired.

I am preparing for the Six Nations.;) After many years practice I now have the perfect preps. A locked door, dinner in the slow cooker, an undisclosed quantity of beer and sufficient Pringles and dips to keep me thirsty enough to drink all the beer throughout the arduous 6 1/2 hour stint of Rugby.:D

Latest posts

Back