This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my grape vines fell over a little while back. The posts were rotted below grade, and should have been replaced allready anyways. Anyways, five hours later, I replaced all the posts and wire and resecured the vines to it. Looks great. Unfortunately I have 9 more rows to replace still. Wish I could afford two full time laborers around here!

One of my grape vines fell over a little while back. The posts were rotted below grade, and should have been replaced allready anyways. Anyways, five hours later, I replaced all the posts and wire and resecured the vines to it. Looks great. Unfortunately I have 9 more rows to replace still. Wish I could afford two full time laborers around here!

I know the feeling. I have a small pasture I can't really use until I repair the fencing of it. But, it's about 50' or so that really needs replacing, and just can't allocate that kind of money to it yet, as it isn't essential. (we typically only use that pasture for quarantine purposes).

I know the feeling. I have a small pasture I can't really use until I repair the fencing of it. But, it's about 50' or so that really needs replacing, and just can't allocate that kind of money to it yet, as it isn't essential. (we typically only use that pasture for quarantine purposes).
Money and time are always obsticals. After working for a company for 9 yrs with a fixed schedule of 40 hrs I had forgotten how nice self employment was. Now I can fit my schedule as needed. I find I'm able to get a lot more done around here.

I had a piece of really good news today. I have an Allotment http://www.nsalg.org.uk/allotment-info/brief-history-of-allotments/.
Now this may not sound all that life-changing but it means next season I will be growing my own veg again. A major prep for me as we really don't like tinned vegetables (home canned are great) with luck I should get some Garlic and Broad Beans planted in the next few weeks. Being an embarrassingly persistent git sometimes pays off:D

A quick update, I have now paid the rent and got all the paperwork and the rule book, I just need the key to the gate. I am officially a Northern Allotmenteer.:)
I plan to make a start at the weekend so I'll take photos and get measuring and start that diary next week.

Got the pig pen done and the propane heater connected in the well house today. I was going to start on the chicken coop next but the wifes not sure of the style she wants yet. So I'll start on the fur shed and the barn extension. I'm going to add another 12'x24' to one side. If the weather holds out I should be able to finish rocking the road by Saturday. May even find time to shoot a deer too.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I scored on two display ceiling fans today! I got them both for 25.00 each! Yeah! Yes, I'm a sucker for a bargain. Almost everything in my home is recycled or a deal of some kind. Base mouldings are in now and caulking all the joints/seams comes next. Then prime and paint. Now if it would only get cold enough for the wood stove to get fired up.

Brent, is the annex getting insulated against heat or cold?
I've insulated the floor and walls. The ceiling isn't right now. I put a lot of effort and extra expense to show the rough sawn ceiling when I first built the porch. If I insulate then I'll need to re finish the underside. I may insulate it down the road but since I'm not air conditioning it I'm not In too big a hurry. The main goal was a room to add heat to the house via solar (south facing windows) and the wood stove.

Got the driveway finished, at least as much as I'm going to do this year. Its getting too soft for the gravel trucks now. There's about 1/2 mile left to gravel next summer.
Put up a mail box down on the county road. Mail service will be 2-3 times a week. That beats going to the Post office a couple times a week saving a 40 mile round trip.

Put up a mail box down on the county road. Mail service will be 2-3 times a week. That beats going to the Post office a couple times a week saving a 40 mile round trip.

Our mail only runs through the summer otherwise we head to our local post office way out in the boondocks (no, not my bike)

post office.jpg

Just finished canning 9 pints of spicey 'dilly' beans that I picked earlier today. The jars are cooling now. There not quite as good as pickeled okra, but I didn't get much okra this year so green beans will have to do. Still have enough left to make a decent pot of them for dinner tomorrow too. SE is posting Picts of snow and ice and I'm still growing beans and potatoes here. Global warming isn't all bad.....

Latest posts

Back