Sweden's Push to Get Rid of Cash Has Some Saying, 'Not So Fast'

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmttactical

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
A prepper's nightmare and Big Brother's dream. If there is no cash, then every transaction can and most likely will be recorded (no need to register firearms, Big Brother knows what , from whom and when). Then add to the problem of a grid down scenario, no access to your saving, earnings or any other financial means and you have the perfect storm.

"Cash is disappearing in the country faster than anyone thought it would. Now, officials are trying to slow its demise as they determine the societal costs.

Few countries have been moving toward a cashless society as fast as Sweden. But cash is being squeezed out so quickly — with half the nation’s retailers predicting they will stop accepting bills before 2025 — that the government is recalculating the societal costs of a cash-free future."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mar...some-saying-not-so-fast/ar-BBPXDjp?li=BBnbfcN

This is probably a large part of the reason for the rise of untraceable, fungible cryptocurrencies like monero. Currently, it's probably almost entirely used for underworld transactions, but the more legitimate business that is conducted with it the more useful it will become. Of course, in a scenario where the internet is no longer usable, cryptocurrencies are useless, but I think cash would become useless rather quickly as well in such an event.

This is crazy. If any hacker wanted to bring a society to a hault, they could do it in Switzerland.

It’s not just people not using cash, everything is electronic. One virus or electronic hiccup and there would be chaos and pandemonium. Looks like someone is starting to wise up.

Last edited:
A prepper's nightmare and Big Brother's dream. If there is no cash, then every transaction can and most likely will be recorded (no need to register firearms, Big Brother knows what , from whom and when). Then add to the problem of a grid down scenario, no access to your saving, earnings or any other financial means and you have the perfect storm.

"Cash is disappearing in the country faster than anyone thought it would. Now, officials are trying to slow its demise as they determine the societal costs.

Few countries have been moving toward a cashless society as fast as Sweden. But cash is being squeezed out so quickly — with half the nation’s retailers predicting they will stop accepting bills before 2025 — that the government is recalculating the societal costs of a cash-free future."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mar...some-saying-not-so-fast/ar-BBPXDjp?li=BBnbfcN
If Sweden goes cashless, how do you tip strippers and exotic dancers?

Are they going to have a plastic bar code thing attached to the g-string so I can wave my--uh, smartphone--at it?

Joke about it Kevin. But this is a real issue of how much of your life do you want big brother to track? Every ammo purchase. Every weapon purchase. Every body armor purchase. At some point any gov't agent would be able to know everything about you with just a few clicks. And just imagine what hackers can do to your life. You should re-read the books 1984 and Animal House. This level of loss of privacy will tie into gov't takeover of everything.

Joke about it Kevin. But this is a real issue of how much of your life do you want big brother to track? Every ammo purchase. Every weapon purchase. Every body armor purchase. At some point any gov't agent would be able to know everything about you with just a few clicks. And just imagine what hackers can do to your life. You should re-read the books 1984 and Animal House. This level of loss of privacy will tie into gov't takeover of everything.
I agree with you.

Sometimes when I'm utterly horrified, I joke as a way to come to terms with my loathing and disgust. I'm sure other people have better ways of coping, but joking is one of mine.

This idea of going cashless seems--to me--like undressing and having sex on a stage in front of millions of strangers. It makes my skin crawl.

Also, did you mean 'Animal Farm' by Orwell? Animal House was a great movie with John Belushi.

Last edited:
Almost all my discrete purchases (ammo, private gun sales, etc.) are cash. Everything else is on my wifes debit card. As I pointed out in a previous post, I seldom leave the place. Not phobic, but have no real need to be around other folks. I do like cash deals and I am dreaded the loss of cash. Now that would have one positive feature, no more (illegal) day laborers or illegal aliens working here. The one good point is that all the registered firearms in the family are in my name. The government is going to be real disappointed when they raid my place on only find three or four weapons. The cashless society is going to make 1984 / Big Bother very real.

I agree with you.

Sometimes when I'm utterly horrified, I joke as a way to come to terms with my loathing and disgust. I'm sure other people have better ways of coping, but joking is one of mine.

This idea of going cashless seems--to me--like undressing and having sex on a stage in front of millions of strangers. It makes my skin crawl.
But Kevin you did bring up a valid point. There would be an enormous retrofit of every small business to be able to take only plastic. If this were to happen in the US there would be massive business closures. Maybe not so much in the big cities, but there would be in the rest of the country. I also think that we'd end up up a huge "underground" economy. Trading and bartering would expand in a huge way.

Personal example of why I always have cash. Last year I went to help son, who is located in komifornia. I stopped in Yuma to gas up. Service station internet access was down and they could only accept cash. Guess who went to the front of the line. :p Yep, always keep cash on me, along with my EDC. :D

Oh my, watching the cashiers try to make change without the cash register is painful.

Try giving them 2 pennies so you won't get back more and they look at you like you are crazy.

Some just can't think... my purchase was $1.07 so I gave her $5.02, utter confusement even after telling her just give me $3.95 back.. it get's baffling

Latest posts

Back