Squatters

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pengyou

Reaction score
Suppose a person has pitched a tent on your property. Where does a person stand legally on the issue of removing him or her? Yes, besides behind your shotgun....what can people do legally?

A lot depend on your state and city laws. If this is your issue, then call the police and they can tell you what you can or cannot do. After that, you may need an attorney. Liberal state, liberal laws and liberal time delays.

There are laws here against trespassing. You can't use deadly force or even fire a warning shot or you can be arrested yourself. This actually happened to my cousin who fired a warning shot up in the air in order to apprehend a trespasser and was given a choice by the judge between either dropping the trespassing charge or being arrested for assault for a deadly weapon.

But you can use "coercion" ;)

If that doesn't work you'll need to call law enforcement. Of course in a WROL (Without Rule Of Law) situation there will be nobody to arrest either the trespasser or you.

Suppose a person has pitched a tent on your property. Where does a person stand legally on the issue of removing him or her? Yes, besides behind your shotgun....what can people do legally?
I think that depends on where you live. In my county a simple phone call to the sheriff would take care of the SOB. But first I'd probably drive my cattle through his camp. I don't think he'd stay very long here.

I think that depends on where you live. In my county a simple phone call to the sheriff would take care of the SOB. But first I'd probably drive my cattle through his camp. I don't think he'd stay very long here.

AD has the right idea. This is the perfect reason for keeping bees. There is something called 'doing a split', you take one hive & divide it's resources to split it into two colonies. The bees get really mad because you're going through their brood area (bedroom/nursery). Suit up, grab a hive & drive over to where the intruder is. Don't say a word, just start splitting the hive right there by his stuff. You're not making him leave, he can try to stay. Take a sidearm in case he decides to get stupid. And when done, take your hives back to their yard. It'd be a real shame if you spilled a bunch of sugarwater across all his stuff, crying shame. Bees will be cleaning it up for days. There are other 'scents' you can put on his stuff that will keep them coming back for weeks, you can choose how mean you want to be. Bees can offer lots of ways to make someone uncomfortable.

There are laws here against trespassing. You can't use deadly force or even fire a warning shot or you can be arrested yourself. This actually happened to my cousin who fired a warning shot up in the air in order to apprehend a trespasser and was given a choice by the judge between either dropping the trespassing charge or being arrested for assault for a deadly weapon.
But you can use "coercion" ;)
If that doesn't work you'll need to call law enforcement. Of course in a WROL (Without Rule Of Law) situation there will be nobody to arrest either the trespasser or you.

Doc, that story just ticks me off. I'd get a lawyer and look into what possibility you have of getting charged. I suspect the Judge was bluffing, just wanting to clear his docket. If I was easily going to beat the charges, I'd pay the legal fees & follow through with the charges. And request a change of venue since the judge threatened me (he can't press charges, that's up to the DA).

over here trespassing is not a criminal offence and I think you will need a lawyer.
of course there are other ways, I heard of a farmer who removed some picnickers from his land by starting up his "muck" spreader and spraying it over the people in the field, they soon moved!!

Set up some snares and nets around his "camp," maybe a pit-style trap. Post a warning sign that it's dangerous area, keep out (so you can't be sued if he gets hurt. . . hopefully). Wait for him to decide it's not worth the trouble when he's getting tripped or falling through trapdoors every other day.

over here trespassing is not a criminal offence and I think you will need a lawyer.
of course there are other ways, I heard of a farmer who removed some picnickers from his land by starting up his "muck" spreader and spraying it over the people in the field, they soon moved!!

I hear that works with politicans as well... oh wait, they're used to that smell.

My property is surrounded by over a million acres of public land, so it's highly unlikely that a squatter would set up camp on my place. But I have seen evidence of hunters shooting deer and elk on my land. A few years ago I caught a couple people hauling an elk off my place with horses. They didn't even offer me any meat for hunting on my land! Trespassing is taken seriously in my State. The problem that I had with this trespassing hunter was that he was also the county sheriff.

It's really incredible how HARD it is to remove someone like this in certain states/counties...seems like THEY have more "rights" than YOU do, which is just absurd.
Yes, squatters have rights here, but only after they have occupied developed land for 7 years or undeveloped land for 20 years without objection by the land owner.

wait till no one is at the camp.then take remove everything. donate what you can to savation army.haul the trash to the dump or burn it.but yet.more importantly. Don't keep any of it.on account anything kept is incriminating.

Move your compost pile next to them. If they move, move it next to them again. They will get the message. Do not take anything of theirs, that will land you in jail.

My property is surrounded by over a million acres of public land, so it's highly unlikely that a squatter would set up camp on my place. But I have seen evidence of hunters shooting deer and elk on my land. A few years ago I caught a couple people hauling an elk off my place with horses. They didn't even offer me any meat for hunting on my land! Trespassing is taken seriously in my State. The problem that I had with this trespassing hunter was that he was also the county sheriff.
The sheriffs get away with anything.

I read your post to my better half. She quote the song by Eric Clapton... "I shot the sheriff"... (and I added) "but I did not shoot the elk you see"! Got a good laugh.

Move your compost pile next to them. If they move, move it next to them again. They will get the message. Do not take anything of theirs, that will land you in jail.
Take a pissed off (or road kill) skunk and lob it into the camp. Any and everything will be useless after that...GP

Latest posts

Back