Some Random Survival Facts Most People Dont Know.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SurvivalMike

Reaction score
Random facts I found out today that may be useful. May be obvious to some of you :/

(Let me know if you find evidence to the contrary)

• Sucking venom from a bite wound will only do harm. Venom will already be in the bloodstream and your mouth might only add bacteria to the site.
  • If you get lost in the wilderness don’t make finding food your first priority. Most people depending on starting point can survive around a month or more without food. WATER and SHELTER is first priority.( or weapons. I like those)
  • Drinking water straight from a cactus is likely to make you vomit and become dehydrated faster. There is certain cactus that you can extract and filter water from but you have to know how.
  • Moss doesn’t grow on the north side of trees it can grow on any side (sorry if its an obvious one)
  • Just because an animal can eat it doesn’t mean you can. Some things like certain berries and mushrooms can be eaten by some animals but fatal for humans!

thanks to Hollywood those one and three are known "facts" ;)..hey it's on movies so it must be true,isn't it??
sad part is,many belive so.

most people in the UK are totally ignorant of any survival facts, that's why you see them being airlifted off Dartmoor on a regular basis with their strappy tops, shorts and flip-flops, having broken a leg, sprained an ankle or got heat stroke or hyperthermia.
most people are too stupid to survive.

most people in the UK are totally ignorant of any survival facts, that's why you see them being airlifted off Dartmoor on a regular basis with their strappy tops, shorts and flip-flops, having broken a leg, sprained an ankle or got heat stroke or hyperthermia.
most people are too stupid to survive.
Seriously, in a large scale disaster, I bet 50% of the general population would perish in the first 3 months.

Seriously, in a large scale disaster, I bet 50% of the general population would perish in the first 3 months.
I have always gone on the basis that the population would halve every 6 months, but that's on the basis of something written in the mid 80s, so you could be right about 3 months.
I read something a few years ago, the results of a survey done in the US but would apply anywhere in the western world,
55%of people have less than 3 days worth of food in the house at any one time,
21% said they would survive for less than 1 week,
28% said they would survive for less than 2 weeks,
75% said THEY WOULD BE DEAD INSIDE 2MONTHS!!

Agree with everything above, but would like add a few things if you guys don't mind:
1) I was a paramedic for many years, and the "cut and suck" way of treating snakebite is (and has been) out of favor for a long time. Outdated survival manuals still discuss it as if it works. FYI in North America, 1/3 of the time a viper bite is dry, 1/3 of the time it will make you ill, and only about 1/3 of the time is it really life-threatening.
Cutting the tissue with a razor blade may actually allow more venom into the bloodstream and make the situation worse. Coral snakes (not vipers, but elapids... like cobras) have extremely potent neurotoxic venom, but small, inefficient fangs. The Arizona coral snake is the most venomous snake (mg. per mg.) in North America, yet it has never caused a single known human death.
2) Food may be a priority in certian medical conditions like diabetes, hypoglycemia, and so on...also if the survivor needs to take certian medications that must be ingested with food.
3) For finding direction, any piece of ferrous metal (stainless steel is an exception) can be magnetized and used as a compass if you bash it repeatedly with a rock. The metal can be floated on a leaf in a puddle and it will give you north-south.
4) Fins, fur, and feathers is often quoted as a survival mantra, but keep in mind that animals may carry disease and parasites, so wash your hands frequently while butchering (if you don't have gloves), and check yourself for fleas and ticks after handling dead animals.
5) Danger from scorpions, tarantulas, black widow spiders, and brown recluse are, in my mind, overstated. It would be very, very rare for someone to die from a bite or sting from one of these animals. Of all these creatures, the brown recluse is the most problematic (in my opinion) because it creates a kind of slow necrosis that spreads over time, and usually requires plastic surgery. The Arizona bark scorpion (the most toxic in North America) is very unlikely to cause death, although high blood pressure, heart problems, and diabetes increase the risks associated with this sting.
The black widow spider will make you miserable, but you have less than a 1% chance of death even if it's untreated.
The problem with tarantulas is not the bite (no known human deaths), but if the hairs from the body get in your eyes...you can go blind. This is true even of the pet tarantulas that you get in pet stores.

I've been bitten by a brown recluse on several occasions (and a black widow once or twice...I didn't even notice), but my wife panicked on the first brown recluse bite, and that's when we found more, lol). For most folks, the danger is highly overrated. (though some react badly to it). Seriously though, Google on it (and the black widow), and you'll be surprised. So the above from Kevin, is spot on. (we live on a ranch, and see these spiders ALL the time, though usually more orb and barn spiders). Needless to say, my wife's arachnophobia is now a thing of the past, hehe.

If you get lost in the wilderness don’t make finding food your first priority. Most people depending on starting point can survive around a month or more without food. WATER and SHELTER is first priority.( or weapons. I like those)

Depend on where you are. Here in FL, shelter is really not much of a necessity at all. Water though, yeah, that's numero uno on my list. Food, is nearly everywhere here, depending on how picky you are.

For the snakebite, a kit for suctioning these (without your mouth) is a pretty cheap and small thing that should be in everyone's BOB or GHB. While it's a small chance, it's also a tiny enough item that including it as a "what if" just makes good sense.

Last edited:
The only real drawback for me, on a couple of the recluse bites, was the necrosis mentioned. It wasn't very bad on me at all, just a small dime-sized or less area by the bite sites, it just never fully heals and looks "right" (due to the slight indentation there, from the fat under the skin being dissolved, I guess)...but not really that bad...and it's not in a visible place.

Still, if you do get bit by one, and notice the area getting worse and bigger (I marked mine with a marker on the skin)....worth a trip to the doc. Just to be safe.

One thing I forgot to mention:

Everyone should be careful of ticks, and not just because of diseases.

There is a condition called tick paralysis, which is quite life-threatening.

If a tick attaches to your upper body (usually if the tick latches on at the back of the neck), a kind of slow, ascending paralysis occurs, and can progress until it involves the diaphram...and the patient becomes unable to breathe.

This process usually takes several hours, and if the tick is discovered in time and removed, the victim will make a complete recovery with rest, supportive care, and common-sense medicine.

This is part of why I believe--in a true crisis--that all survivors should shear their hair very close (ie: a Marine Corps. buzz cut) regardless of gender.

The tick must usually remain attached for quite a while--usually eight to twenty-four hours--before tick paralysis sets in.

Many ticks can cause this, especially ones in North America in the northeast and in New England...although many ticks in other parts of the country are implicated.

Also, tick bites can force you to become a vegetarian, as many people can get a bad allergy to meat and dairy products after being bitten.

It is my understanding that eggs and fish can still be eaten in this situation, if that helps.

Now Gazrok, don't lie.... we know your #1 priority item. You've recently admitted to it.

Air conditioning.

Well, #2. LOL

Also, tick bites can force you to become a vegetarian, as many people can get a bad allergy to meat and dairy products after being bitten.

OK, this has now become the most dire threat to ever be faced.

One thing I forgot to mention:

Everyone should be careful of ticks, and not just because of diseases.

There is a condition called tick paralysis, which is quite life-threatening.

If a tick attaches to your upper body (usually if the tick latches on at the back of the neck), a kind of slow, ascending paralysis occurs, and can progress until it involves the diaphram...and the patient becomes unable to breathe.

This process usually takes several hours, and if the tick is discovered in time and removed, the victim will make a complete recovery with rest, supportive care, and common-sense medicine.

This is part of why I believe--in a true crisis--that all survivors should shear their hair very close (ie: a Marine Corps. buzz cut) regardless of gender.

The tick must usually remain attached for quite a while--usually eight to twenty-four hours--before tick paralysis sets in.

Many ticks can cause this, especially ones in North America in the northeast and in New England...although many ticks in other parts of the country are implicated.

It is my understanding that eggs and fish can still be eaten in this situation, if that helps.

After many years spending and living in heavily forested areas, particularly hunting I have had many upon many ticks on me over the years. I know diseases can happen from tics, almost all tic diseases don’t happen within the first 24hrs, as long one checks them self at least once a day if in the back country they will be fine ;)

But making one a vegetarian!!!??? Ack! I'd rather die I think.....

Only the lone star tic, and that still being debated if there are direct link... anyway, if you get the tic off with in 24hrs you'll be fine... But that would suck to all of a sudden become allergic to red meat :( you can still eat fish, chicken and pork :)

Latest posts

Back