Lost in the woods, found dead. Another one.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you get lost here, you find a stream-loads of them in North Devon- follow that until it joins a river then follow that downstream until it reaches either a road or a village, hamlet or a farm house.
of course, not everyone knows this!
There's a book by Alexander Thom called "Follow the River", it is based on a true story of a woman who was abducted by native Americans and her escape back to "civilization". It shows how determined a person can be to get home no matter the cost.

i'll have to look that one up, never heard of it before.
Here's another good one that I had forgotten about. The story of Juliane Koepcke, she was in a plane that disintegrated and fell to earth still strapped to her seat. She followed a river and found help several days later. She wrote a book in 2011 and I remember there was also a movie. It is a harrowing story. Pretty gruesome finding dead people in the jungle still in their seats, may have survived the fall but died after landing or plummeted head first and plowed into the earth. It is amazing she got out of there with her injuries, she did what her Dad said to do if she ever got lost and that was follow water.

the following water tip was something I learned a long time ago but I doubt many people these days know of it.
its like the old tip off walking on the right hand side of the road, in the UK that's facing oncoming traffic, in the countryside where there are no sidewalks, but if you tell that to a lot of people they think your joking, no joke being run over by a car that comes up behind you.

I don't understand what all of you are rambling on about. Stop it!

There are a lot of stupid people out there looking for a way to take themselves out of the gene pool. LET THEM. Please, let them help society in the only way the seem able to.

They go out, they feed a bear a good meal or two. I hope their flesh doesn't give the bear any weird diseases. Why is that really that bad of a thing? Life happens. Death happens. Let nature take its path.

if they'd taken even 5 lbs of the right supplies, they'd have been ok, assuming that the had brains, which is way too much of an assumption for half of the US population. Look how many voted for a proven traitor, thief, browbeater of her hubby's rape victims.

if they'd taken even 5 lbs of the right supplies, they'd have been ok, assuming that the had brains, which is way too much of an assumption for half of the US population. Look how many voted for a proven traitor, thief, browbeater of her hubby's rape victims.

Not always the case, a good number are very educated with the right equipment but shit happens and having the right equipment won't change the outcome.

I was reading about people getting hypothermia and wondered why it seems that so many that are found dead have taken off their clothes. I did a little research and it seems, that the muscles tire themselves out with shivering and when they stop shivering all the heat from the core goes rushing to the extremities, then the individual feels overwhelmingly hot, so they start taking off clothing, which leads to more hypothermia and so on. This is called "paradoxical hypothermia". Also some individuals are found dead crammed into small spaces, this is called "terminal burrowing".

I was reading about people getting hypothermia and wondered why it seems that so many that are found dead have taken off their clothes. I did a little research and it seems, that the muscles tire themselves out with shivering and when they stop shivering all the heat from the core goes rushing to the extremities, then the individual feels overwhelmingly hot, so they start taking off clothing, which leads to more hypothermia and so on. This is called "paradoxical hypothermia". Also some individuals are found dead crammed into small spaces, this is called "terminal burrowing".

Getting hypothermia the most rational person would start the cognitive decline then euphoria follows and death.

I've gotten turned around, even in familiar places. It happens.

Hypothermia? I dunno. Every year I pretty much try to get it, no luck yet, although last year I feel like I was almost there.

Maybe this year will be the year, and I'll prove to myself it's not a myth.

About 12 years ago we were searching for a lost hunter, when we found him he didn’t have his pack or rifle, it apparently got left somewhere, it was bad enough he couldn’t remember his name or what he was doing out in the forest, hypothermia affect brain like hyponatremia, it gradually affecting memory, you don’t know it’s coming over you, no, it’s not a myth.

I know. But I spend so much time in cold water, wet and cold, get all my stuff wet and muddy then frozen. I have to be a prime candidate.

We'll see. The Rock is a different animal than the Wisconsin River, the only decent island is N****r Island (it's on the map, that's not some racist crap) and in the winter the Sand bar is exposed and flood prone. And it's a long swim, and if you time wrong the current will take you past it.

I'll head out there when I know it's gonna be miserable, see if I can't get a tad hypothermic.

I know. But I spend so much time in cold water, wet and cold, get all my stuff wet and muddy then frozen. I have to be a prime candidate.

We'll see. The Rock is a different animal than the Wisconsin River, the only decent island is N****r Island (it's on the map, that's not some racist crap) and in the winter the Sand bar is exposed and flood prone. And it's a long swim, and if you time wrong the current will take you past it.

I'll head out there when I know it's gonna be miserable, see if I can't get a tad hypothermic.
You can be there and not realize it, what ya gonna do take a rectal thermometer? LOL

Hypothermia cause the heart to becomes very sensitive and can be easily go into an irregular rhythm and/or cardiac arrest, once the body core temperature drops the heart begins being affected without you even noticing, I wouldn't go out and test myself. If you must, do it in the shower running just cold water with a fan blowing on you, don't eat anything before and during the test and have someone around that can call. You can get hypothermia in 80 degree waters.

To be honest, I feel it to be a foolish attempt.

Last edited:
Last night I was watching TV and fell asleep in the chair. Around 10.30 I had a knock on the door. The dog started barking and I grabbed a gun. At the front door was a half dead lost hunter. He colasped at the water faucet and sucked down about a half gallon of water. He said he started hunting early that morning and soon got lost. This dipshit didn't take any water with him and the only food he had was some salty snacks. He claimed that he was chased by two bears and shot one wounding it. Once he recoved a bit, and since I knew where his camp site was located, I told him to start walking north and eventually he'd run across my northern fence line. Then turn left (west) and follow it for a few miles and he'd come across the county road. Now turn north again and in about 15 miles he'd come across his camp site. I offered to give him a gallon of water to take with him at no charge. This guy was really scared and begged me to give him a ride.
I just can't believe that people, especially hunters, going out in the wilderness would be so unprepared. It was a good thing that the weather was rather warm for this time of year.
Now I've got a wounded bear running around the place to deal with. I really dislike flatlanders.

Latest posts

Back