Looking for Communications Radio for Emergency

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the reply. I recently found that there are repeaters, and there is a local club.

I was looking at the V-80 Sport and the V-86. As would be expected, 40 years of not paying attention to this industry has me surprised with what's available.

They are purchased non programmed. You have some choices. Use free CHIRP software to program the 128 channels (via Windows is best). Or do each channel manually. This is used if in the field and not near a pc. Here are directions for that...

How to manually program a simplex channel

• Step 1. Press [VFO/MR] and enter Frequency Mode.
  • Step 2. Press [A/B] and choose the A Side (upper display).
    The A side must be used to program channels into the radio. Programming data entered on the B Side (lower display) will not be saved.
  • Step 3. Press [BAND] for the frequency band.
    Toggle [BAND] to choose 136 MHz (VHF) or 470 MHz (UHF).
    If the incorrect band is chosen for the frequency entered in Step 5, the radio will cancel the operation.
  • Step 4. Disable TDR (Dual Watch/Dual Standby).
    Press [MENU] 7 [MENU] [press up/down arrow keys] OFF [MENU] [EXIT]
    It is highly advised to turn TDR off when programming directly from the radio.
  • Step 5. Enter the frequency.
    Use the keypad to enter the frequency into the radio.
  • Step 6. optional - Enter the transmit CTCSS/DCS code.
    • CTCSS - [MENU] 13 [MENU] [enter/choose code XXXX] [MENU] [EXIT]
    • DCS - [MENU] 12 [MENU] [choose code XXXXX] [MENU] [EXIT]
  • Step 7. Assign the frequency to a channel.
    [MENU] 27 [MENU] [enter channel number XXX] [MENU] [EXIT]
My understanding is that without repeaters they will not go past 4 miles. There are repeaters already active that you can join. The yearly fee is dirt cheap.

Yes, they are legal!
GMRS repeaters you can join, and you still need a GMRS license. Ham repeaters don't charge fee's, but you must be licensed to use them. And we take care of boot leggers...

So pay the FCC the $35 for a GMRS license, buy a few midland 40 watt mobiles and a few GMRS handhelds and comm away.

What you conceive to be SHTF is nothing like what it's actually going to be. It's going to be like Venezuela with Martial Law. They won't fine you for not being licensed, they will deem you an insurgent and put you against a wall. Ya'll watching too much Walking Dead... 🤣

I am looking for information on 2way radios for my family to use in case the world goes totally 'south'. If our cell towers go down, I need to find something that I can communicate with my family. We are about 20 miles apart over flat terrain although there there many forests between us. Of course, should we have to 'bug out', I also need them to be hand helds.

Will ham work? Will ham repeaters remain up even in a disaster? Are there other/better alternatives?

I had one person suggest this:

https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-1800...cp8Kq-I5Nq6uX5eA_YJWcrsv0x1hcixlOjQ3ovFh0TZt4
but I'm not convinced something that cheap will do the job (and don't get me wrong, if it will I'm all for inexpensive)

I do have a newer shortwave radio to I can listen in on what is going on worldwide (hopefully) so that part I have. It's the 2way that I need to figure out.

Thank you.
But please get the BaoFeng 9U. Earlier models had poor audio quality. The other good news is, BaoFeng is dual band and cross repeat functions to support hiding in plain site.

Why not just study up and take the ham radio exams. You dont have to know Morse code anymore. If you stay on Technician (VHF/UHF) the test is super easy actually, the Test for General (HF) is super easy also.
If you stay with UHF/VHF dont count on all repeaters being up. Depends on the SHTF event.

However, you can put up you own simplex repeater easy like this

I highly recommend you spend one week reading the Tech exam study guide (check one out at the library) and taking free practise exams online then take the test. the test is only 18 bucks.

Go to the QRZ website and take all the practice test for free...

What is the reason for a programming cable? What would you program this radio (or any radio) for? I'm simply looking for radios to communicate with my family.

The other thing is distance: some of the comments say the 8 watt version will only get up to 3 or 4 miles. Others claim the radio is illegal to use in the US.

Sorry, I am brand new to this so need to understand.
Again, it's all about the antenna. You can use a hand held (walkie-talkie) in the car or the house with a high gain mobile antenna. There is even a small base kit and dual band antennas available. When I started in ham radio I used a Midland hand held and an outside base antenna and got 20 miles on VHF consistently. Just a thought.

Again, it's all about the antenna. You can use a hand held (walkie-talkie) in the car or the house with a high gain mobile antenna. There is even a small base kit and dual band antennas available. When I started in ham radio I used a Midland hand held and an outside base antenna and got 20 miles on VHF consistently. Just a thought.
I forgot... All of the lower end radios such as, Baofeng must be programed by the user. The programming cable comes with software as well.

Cheap antennas for house tops:
Cut a two foot square sheet of metal, screw it on your roof as a ground plane reflector.
Then purchase a cheap magnetic car antenna and stick on it.
Spray paint the metal to make the wife happy.

This works just as good as the tall 3 meter antenna pole mounted rig I have.
They are equal in range.

This 3 foot wire might get you from rooftop to inside the house.
longer wires are available. $8

Attachments

• #38 Communications.pdf
    43 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I am looking for information on 2way radios for my family to use in case the world goes totally 'south'. If our cell towers go down, I need to find something that I can communicate with my family. We are about 20 miles apart over flat terrain although there there many forests between us. Of course, should we have to 'bug out', I also need them to be hand helds.

Will ham work? Will ham repeaters remain up even in a disaster? Are there other/better alternatives?

I had one person suggest this:

https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-1800...cp8Kq-I5Nq6uX5eA_YJWcrsv0x1hcixlOjQ3ovFh0TZt4
but I'm not convinced something that cheap will do the job (and don't get me wrong, if it will I'm all for inexpensive)

I do have a newer shortwave radio to I can listen in on what is going on worldwide (hopefully) so that part I have. It's the 2way that I need to figure out.

Thank you.
Pay $35 for your GMRS license. That covers up to 12 immediate family members (each individual would need to get a ham license). Look at companies like Retevis and Anytone. GMRS License allows you to use up to 50 watts and the radios are affordable. Get yourselves base antennas which will cover the 20 miles easily. I have both 5 watt HT's and 50 watt mobiles. A much cheaper way to go for your intended use. The are also GMRS repeaters and linked repeater systems. Most ham and GMRS repeaters have battery back up systems for power outages. Some in this area even have back up microwave links. This is the best advice I can give. Though I'm not a fan of the guy, check out NotARubicon on YouTube. He gets it right about 70% of the time.

Regarding Programming everything.

In a chaos situation one only needs radios to protect the home.
One guard outside and others home sleeping but ready, with one awake and on guard in the home.

In that situation most guards only need one or two channels for communication with each other.

Don't program all the local repeaters. They will only get the guard killed.

Latest posts

Back