"It could be worse": VZ version

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasFreedom

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
We think we have problems, read this short article: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ital-signal-growing-desperation-idUSKBN23K0KT

Things are so bad there that people can't afford rent... at $10/month. They are building mud/bamboo huts to live it. And if you think that is 'environmentally friendly', read how their toilets work!

Yup, this is what democrats are striving for. I wonder if living conditions are better at the Seattle 'autonomous zone'? What are they doing for bathrooms and shelter? I heard they want Gatorade? How about the yellow flavored one???

We think we have problems, read this short article: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ital-signal-growing-desperation-idUSKBN23K0KT

Things are so bad there that people can't afford rent... at $10/month. They are building mud/bamboo huts to live it. And if you think that is 'environmentally friendly', read how their toilets work!

Yup, this is what democrats are striving for. I wonder if living conditions are better at the Seattle 'autonomous zone'? What are they doing for bathrooms and shelter? I heard they want Gatorade? How about the yellow flavored one???

TF there are many in Seattle that have it just that bad and not in the "autonimous zone" Seattle has a huge homeless population as does Portland. My daughter just spent 18 months there for her job and said she was absolutely shocked at the homeless crisis there. She paid almost $2000 for a studio apartment the size of her bathroom at home. Cost of living was unbelievable.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...les-homeless-crisis-the-worst-in-the-country/

TF there are many in Seattle that have it just that bad and not in the "autonimous zone" Seattle has a huge homeless population as does Portland. My daughter just spent 18 months there for her job and said she was absolutely shocked at the homeless crisis there. She paid almost $2000 for a studio apartment the size of her bathroom at home. Cost of living was unbelievable.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...les-homeless-crisis-the-worst-in-the-country/

AND what law is forcing the homeless to stay there? Liberal city, liberal government and Amazon pay scale. Can't afford to live there, move!

AND what law is forcing the homeless to stay there? Liberal city, liberal government and Amazon pay scale. Can't afford to live there, move!

I have absolutely no idea. Maybe no money?? My own daughter left as soon as her contract was up. The money was great but she simply was born and raised in the South and did not really care for the culture. She came back South.

Homeless is not an overnight process. You do not have a job and residence on Monday and are on the street Tuesday. The homeless had time to get out of dodge but chose to stay. Being on the streets in 99% of the cases is a result of their choices. Mental health issues are the only non-accountable reason for being on the street. JM2C

Homeless is not an overnight process. You do not have a job and residence on Monday and are on the street Tuesday. The homeless had time to get out of dodge but chose to stay. Being on the streets in 99% of the cases is a result of their choices. Mental health issues are the only non-accountable reason for being on the street. JM2C
Do you really think only one percent of them have mental issues? I’ve been around enough homeless to see the vast majority are deficient in one way or another. That doesn’t mean stupid, but emotionally or reasonably out there in some way.

Do you really think only one percent of them have mental issues? I’ve been around enough homeless to see the vast majority are deficient in one way or another. That doesn’t mean stupid, but emotionally or reasonably out there in some way.

My daughter said she had it explained to her one day when she took the bus while her car was in the shop. An elderly lady had lived there in her community her whole life. Said that Portland once had a thriving middle class. Then people came in and starting buying up the middle class homes and building mansions. The property tax kept going up and up and people could not afford the taxes. As they sold there homes the rich bought the properties and started driving the rents up and up. The cost of living followed suit until there was not a middle class anymore. They all had to flee because they could not afford to live there. So now you have the remainder, upper class, predominantly white and very wealthy that can afford the prices. Most hard hit were the elderly that had lived there their entire lives. On the flip side Nashville Tn itself has the same problem with a huge homeless population. My husband and his American Legion Post raise money to build small homes for veterans living on the streets of Nashville. Many disabled both emotionally and physically. JM2C

Last edited:
My daughter said she had it explained to her one day when she took the bus while her car was in the shop. An elderly lady had lived there in her community her whole life. Said that Portland was once had a thriving middle class. Then people came in and starting buying up the middle class homes and building mansions. The property tax kept going up and up and people could not afford the taxes. As they sold there homes the rich bought the properties and started driving the rents up and up. The cost of living followed suit until there was not a middle class anymore. They all had to flee because they could not afford to live there. So now you have the remainder, upper class, predominantly white and very wealthy that can afford the prices. Most hard hit were the elderly that had lived there their entire lives. On the flip side Nashville Tn itself has the same problem with a huge homeless population. My husband and his American Legion Post raise money to build small homes for veterans living on the streets of Nashville. Many disabled both emotionally and physically. JM2C
The old saying of never judge someone until you have walked in their shoes comes to mind.

Drug and alcohol addiction is self induced and not mental. I did overlook physical disabilities and that would be a legitimate issue.

My daughter said she had it explained to her one day when she took the bus while her car was in the shop. An elderly lady had lived there in her community her whole life. Said that Portland once had a thriving middle class. Then people came in and starting buying up the middle class homes and building mansions. The property tax kept going up and up and people could not afford the taxes. As they sold there homes the rich bought the properties and started driving the rents up and up. The cost of living followed suit until there was not a middle class anymore. They all had to flee because they could not afford to live there. So now you have the remainder, upper class, predominantly white and very wealthy that can afford the prices. Most hard hit were the elderly that had lived there their entire lives. On the flip side Nashville Tn itself has the same problem with a huge homeless population. My husband and his American Legion Post raise money to build small homes for veterans living on the streets of Nashville. Many disabled both emotionally and physically. JM2C

Yes housing cost going though the roof is a problem but then again most of these people, young and old chose to stay where they could not afford to live. This was their personal choice. I fail to see how living on the street is better than packing your bags and moving to an area you can afford to live. Mental and physical disabilities are beyond personal control. Refusing to face the changes in housing and the cost of living is a refusal to face reality.

Being on the streets in 99% of the cases is a result of their choices

https://journalistsresource.org/studies/government/health-care/homelessness-u-s-trends-demographics/
hks-shorenstein-logo.jpg

There were 610,042 homeless persons counted

There were 57,849 homeless veterans recorded in 2013, and 40% were unsheltered

There were 46,924 unaccompanied homeless children and youth on a single night. Most (87% or 40,727) were youth between the ages of 18 and 24, and 13% (or 6,197) were children under the age of 18. Half of unaccompanied children and youth (23,461 or 50%) were unsheltered

https://endhomelessness.org/homeles...ssness-statistics/state-of-homelessness-2020/
National Alliance To End Homelessness

Many Americans live in poverty, amounting to 38.1 million people or 11.8 percent of the U.S. population. They struggle to afford necessities such as housing.

In 2018, 6.5 million Americans experienced severe housing cost burden, which means they spent more than 50 percent of their income on housing.

Chronically homeless individuals are disabled and have experienced long-term and/or repeated episodes of homelessness. They are currently 17 percent of the population. Veterans, who are 7 percent of people experiencing homelessness, are prioritized due to their service to our country. And unaccompanied youth, who represent 6 percent of the population, are a vulnerable age group consisting of those under 25 years old.

http://nationalhomeless.org/about-homelessness/
National Coalition for the Homeless

Poverty
Homelessness and poverty are inextricably linked. Poor people are frequently unable to pay for housing, food, childcare, health care, and education. Difficult choices must be made when limited resources cover only some of these necessities. Often it is housing, which absorbs a high proportion of income that must be dropped. If you are poor, you are essentially an illness, an accident, or a paycheck away from living on the streets.

According to the United States Census Bureau, the national poverty rate in 2016 was 12.7%. There were 40.6 million people in poverty. While the poverty rate has been slowly declining since 2014, a couple of factors account for continuing poverty:

• Lack of Employment Opportunities – With unemployment rates remaining high, jobs are hard to find in the current economy. Even if people can find work, this does not automatically provide an escape from poverty.
  • Decline in Available Public Assistance – The declining value and availability of public assistance is another source of increasing poverty and homelessness and many families leaving welfare struggle to get medical care, food, and housing as a result of loss of benefits, low wages, and unstable employment. Additionally, most states have not replaced the old welfare system with an alternative that enables families and individuals to obtain above-poverty employment and to sustain themselves when work is not available or possible.
Other major factors, which can contribute to homelessness, include:

• Lack of Affordable Health Care – For families and individuals struggling to pay the rent, a serious illness or disability can start a downward spiral into homelessness, beginning with a lost job, depletion of savings to pay for care, and eventual eviction.
  • Domestic Violence – Battered women who live in poverty are often forced to choose between abusive relationships and homelessness. In addition, 50% of the cities surveyed by the U.S. Conference of Mayors identified domestic violence as a primary cause of homelessness (U.S. Conference of Mayors, 2005).
  • Mental Illness Approximately 16% of the single adult homeless population suffers from some form of severe and persistent mental illness (U.S. Conference of Mayors, 2005).
  • Addiction – The relationship between addiction and homelessness is complex and controversial. Many people who are addicted to alcohol and drugs never become homeless, but people who are poor and addicted are clearly at increased risk of homelessness.

Housing and Urban Development’s Point-in-Time Count, 2016:

• HUD found 549,928 individuals to be homeless on a single night in January 2016. Most homeless persons (65%) are individuals while 35% of homeless persons are in family households.
  • The number of families experiencing homelessness has increased significantly from past years. For example, in 2013 only 15% of homeless persons were in family households.
  • 31% of all homeless people were youths under the age of 24.
  • Close to 40,000 veterans were homeless on a single night in January 2016. 66% were residing in shelters or transitional housing programs, while 33% were without shelter.
  • The number of those in homeless shelters or transitional housing was split almost equally between people in families (47%) and individuals (53%).
  • Five states, California (22%), New York (16%), Florida (6%), Texas (4%), and Washington (4%), accounted for more than half of the homeless population in the United States in 2016.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homelessness_in_the_United_States#Homeless_veterans

Wikipedia

In 2009 it was estimated that one out of 50 children or 1.5 million children in the United States of America would experience some form of homelessness each year.[7]

There were an estimated 37,878 homeless veterans estimated in the United States during January 2017, or 8.6 percent of all homeless adults. Just over 90 percent of homeless U.S. veterans are male.[

New York City reported it had approximately 114,000 temporarily homeless school children.

There were an estimated 57,849 homeless veterans estimated in the United States during January 2013; or 12 percent of all homeless adults.[citation needed] Just under 8 percent of homeless U.S. veterans are female.

The number of homeless children in the US grew from 1.2 million in 2007 to 1.6 million in 2010. The US defines homelessness as "individuals who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence," per McKinney–Vento Homeless Assistance Act.[72] The number of homeless children reached record highs in 2011,[69] 2012,[70] and 2013[71] at about three times their number in 1983.[70] An "estimated two million [youth] run away from or are forced out of their homes each year" in the United States.[73]

One out of 50 children or 1.5 million children in United States of America will be homeless each year.[7] In 2013 that number jumped to one out of 30 children, or 2.5 million.[74]

Texas, California and Florida have the highest numbers of unaccompanied homeless youth under the age of 18; comprising 58% of the total homeless under 18 youth population [8]

College youth that are homeless account for over one million of the young homeless population.[82] According to the Free Application Federal Student Aid, also known as FAFSA, in 2013, over 58,000 students identified as homeless on their application.[82] "The federal government defines these unaccompanied homeless youth (UHY) as individuals who do not have "fixed, regular and adequate" housing and who are "not in the physical custody of a parent or adult

Homeless women with children
Another study discovered that the three biggest risk factors that contributed to family homelessness in the United States are: ethnicity, lack of resources (specifically funds), and young children/pregnancy.[92] There is also a strong correlation between homeless families and households run and financed by a single female, especially one from a minority group and with at least two children.[

Mental health
Homeless individuals report mental illness as being the number three reason for becoming or staying homeless.[99] Such illnesses are often closely linked with the fourth reason—substance abuse

There is another cause: lack of balance.

Look at how many people drive a nice car, pay $150 for cable TV/HBO/etc. Have a $1000 cell phone, and can't afford to write a check for a pizza. Or they have a $1000 car with $2000 rims.

When times are good, live under your means & save. When times are tough, tighten your belt and draw from your savings. But far too many people live beyond their means in the best of times and are dismayed when trouble comes & they're evicted. If your area has taxes skyrocketing, vote with your feet, sell, take your profits, and move to more affordable areas.

Too many people hit hard times, and turn to the bottle or drugs to find a way out. Too many mentally handicapped are self-induced from drug abuse.

I think a big problem is that there is too much free cr*p available. Every form of welfare, mostly gov't handouts. Stop all of it. When people get hungry, realize there are no more free lunches, then they (at least many) will pull up their britches and find a job. Otherwise they'll starve. For the truly needy, there is plenty of private charity. For the self-induced, I'm 100% fine with them starving by choice.

There is another cause: lack of balance.

Look at how many people drive a nice car, pay $150 for cable TV/HBO/etc. Have a $1000 cell phone, and can't afford to write a check for a pizza. Or they have a $1000 car with $2000 rims.

When times are good, live under your means & save. When times are tough, tighten your belt and draw from your savings. But far too many people live beyond their means in the best of times and are dismayed when trouble comes & they're evicted. If your area has taxes skyrocketing, vote with your feet, sell, take your profits, and move to more affordable areas.

Too many people hit hard times, and turn to the bottle or drugs to find a way out. Too many mentally handicapped are self-induced from drug abuse.

I think a big problem is that there is too much free cr*p available. Every form of welfare, mostly gov't handouts. Stop all of it. When people get hungry, realize there are no more free lunches, then they (at least many) will pull up their britches and find a job. Otherwise they'll starve. For the truly needy, there is plenty of private charity. For the self-induced, I'm 100% fine with them starving by choice.

TF I agree with you that there are many that abuse the system. But I think as a country we need to realize that a huge number of homeless are veterans returning from war with issues. There are mothers with small children fleeing violent and abusive marriages. There are foster children already abandoned by parents that turn 18 and are turned out from foster homes with no parents and nothing but the clothes on their back. They have aged out of the system. There are old people that can't afford their medicines and their rent. There are teenagers fleeing abusive parents. There are people with cancer that have spent every dime they have on medicines and treatments, the insurance has run out and they have nothing left. There are mentally ill turned out of mental facilities when the insurance runs out. I think we cannot simply write everyone off as bums and addicts. We can't write all of them off as irresponsible or poor financial planners. I think as a country we owe something to the elderly, to the veterans that put their lives on the line for our freedoms. That we should be able to find compassion in our hearts for the children stuck in these situations through no fault of their own. But to indiscriminately condemn 99% of this group is just COLD.

It’s getting pretty bad in Denver too. Homeless tent camps are huge here. If I have time I’ll try to drive past a few today and take pics to show you guys. Rent and home prices are through the roof. The legalization of marijuana and now the heroin injection sites have led to quite a bit of this. In certain parts of the city, the homeless can camp in your front yard (City legalized it) and some of the neighborhoods even have portapotties on the street so the homeless don’t crap in the road.

It’s getting pretty bad in Denver too. Homeless tent camps are huge here. If I have time I’ll try to drive past a few today and take pics to show you guys. Rent and home prices are through the roof. The legalization of marijuana and now the heroin injection sites have led to quite a bit of this. In certain parts of the city, the homeless can camp in your front yard (City legalized it) and some of the neighborhoods even have portapotties on the street so the homeless don’t crap in the road.

Linda same in Nashville. And as the unemployment rate goes up it will just get worse. Which also creates a huge problem with Covid spread as well because of lack of sanitation.

There is no reason anyone in this community should be on the street. There are more than enough shelters that will feed them and give them a place to spend the night. And you don't see people on the street here very often. Anyone on the street here is there by choice.

There was one guy that was semi-homeless that I paid weekly to come by and do yard work and various things. He got a room in a hotel downtown called the Ralston that got Section 8 funding, and paid no rent.

There is no reason anyone in this community should be on the street. There are more than enough shelters that will feed them and give them a place to spend the night. And you don't see people on the street here very often. Anyone on the street here is there by choice.

There was one guy that was semi-homeless that I paid weekly to come by and do yard work and various things. He got a room in a hotel downtown called the Ralston that got Section 8 funding, and paid no rent.

Yeah you very rarely see homeless in rural areas and smaller towns in my experience. In researching that post I was surprised Doc to read that the two states with the lowest
homeless populations were Louisiana and your home state of Mississippi. In larger cities those numbers do seem to be growing though. I find it particularly troubling to see young children on the streets. I guess just the Mom in me. I did see a release from the White House where Trump has introduced some programs to address this. I hope it helps. I do find it troubling that there are programs for helping immigrants and yet US Veterans are sleeping under bridges.

What a softie I am. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yeah you very rarely see homeless in rural areas and smaller towns in my experience. In researching that post I was surprised Doc to read that the two states with the lowest
homeless populations were Louisiana and your home state of Mississippi.
Doesn't surprise me one bit. One factor is that housing costs are very low in Mississippi. You can buy in a frickin' three story mansion cheaper than buying in a one room studio condo in some places. I grew up in a five bedroom, four bathroom house in one of the better neighborhoods, and we were not rich.

Latest posts

Back