If your unsure about purchase bottled water...

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick

Top Poster
Reaction score
Washington State - between 2 mountains and a river
I stock up maybe 3 days worth of bottled water. IF SHTF, another 3 days through the apartment's water tanks into a 100gal water bag.

But after that is filter and boiling from the river next to my apartment.

I stock up maybe 3 days worth of bottled water. IF SHTF, another 3 days through the apartment's water tanks into a 100gal water bag.

But after that is filter and boiling from the river next to my apartment.
I recently made a 'still' to distill the creek water if I ever need to. I tested it out once and it worked great, but is labor intensive with the firewood and all. At least it's another option if both of the two filters I have fail. Sometime this year i want to get one more kind of filter, but will do it as I can afford it.

We stock up beginning of storm season, then just use it outside of storm season, so when stocking up again, all fresh. Even though we have well water, and other water storage, in bottles is just a redundancy, and convenient (and cheap enough).

We were without city water for about two days not too long ago when they repaired a line. I broke out some of the 2 liter bottles I had stored with a few drops of bleach and didn't even notice the problem. I probably have 75 2 liter bottles, so there great for convience, but anything longer than a few days and I'm pumping creek water, which involves filtering/purifying. At least I have the option, I feel for everyone in the s.w. With the drought.

I don't buy bottled water,we have so good water here so I use our tap-water to fill my bottles,but if things go to hell,I have a creek 500 yds from where I live so that would be my main supply for a while

no,it's done at the water treatmentplant already and I rotate them regularly,if I don't drink it it goes for my plants and then it's a thorough wash and refill.
I'm super happy that I have such a good water from tap,only thing I sometimes miss is bubbles :)

Last edited:
Water is my biggest concern here. There are no ponds, lakes or streams nearby. I cannot put in a well and space is very limited for large storage containers. I could perhaps put as much as a dozen 55 gallon pickle barrels behind the privacy fence on the side yard but I wonder how long they'd stay a secret in a SHTF situation. I would have to fit them all with spigots at the bottom and set them on cinderblocks, I suppose. To tell the truth, the water here is so bad I'm already trying to figure out how to get a filter to put on the water inlet to the house. Any suggestions anyone?

all i can think of in the way of filters.check and see if you can find one that can be attached to the water line outside the house..and also,if you can find a type that you can removed and washed clean.then that'll be all the better.on account you'll be able to take one out.and put another one in.then wash dirty one..

Water is my biggest concern here. There are no ponds, lakes or streams nearby. I cannot put in a well and space is very limited for large storage containers. I could perhaps put as much as a dozen 55 gallon pickle barrels behind the privacy fence on the side yard but I wonder how long they'd stay a secret in a SHTF situation. I would have to fit them all with spigots at the bottom and set them on cinderblocks, I suppose. To tell the truth, the water here is so bad I'm already trying to figure out how to get a filter to put on the water inlet to the house. Any suggestions anyone?

You needing a Filter or Purifier? both Rhino and Pelican make whole house water filters with sediment filters/traps but it may set you back slightly less then a grand

You needing a Filter or Purifier? both Rhino and Pelican make whole house water filters with sediment filters/traps but it may set you back slightly less then a grand
That's way more than I can afford right now. I want the calcium, chlorine and fluoride out of my water. The PUR filters that attach to your faucets don't remove those things. Calcium and mineral buildup from the water here is pretty bad. Dishes are left with what looks like a dusting of white after washing.

That's way more than I can afford right now. I want the calcium, chlorine and fluoride out of my water. The PUR filters that attach to your faucets don't remove those things. Calcium and mineral buildup from the water here is pretty bad. Dishes are left with what looks like a dusting of white after washing.

For a whole house water filtration system that you are looking for, I don't see anything cheaper unfortunately :-/

For a whole house water filtration system that you are looking for, I don't see anything cheaper unfortunately :-/
What I'm wondering is if I can find a youtube video for how to build it myself. I'm pretty handy. But some things actually end up costing more to build yourself nowadays. Ah, one thing at a time. Right now, I still have a lot of unpacking to do.

Check out Berkefeld water filters at www.arctic-1.com I haven't used them and they are not cheap, but considering what they are capable of, its probably worth it. If you do the multiple barrel route, I'm sure you can figure out a siphon method and only have one raised off the ground with a spigot. If you want to hide them. build a shed- out of sight out of mind.

Check out Berkefeld water filters at www.arctic-1.com I haven't used them and they are not cheap, but considering what they are capable of, its probably worth it. If you do the multiple barrel route, I'm sure you can figure out a siphon method and only have one raised off the ground with a spigot. If you want to hide them. build a shed- out of sight out of mind.

Hey Warriorhealer22, just wanted to fyi.

If you ever buy one (Berkey Waterfilter)...don't forget to prime it. Here is a good PDF. I always review it before I use mine...bought another one the other day, just in case, our lakes hit 5%...going to double treat the water...just in case.

Hope all is well with you.

Attachments

• Water_-_Priming_the_Berkey_Filter.pdf
    177.4 KB · Views: 7
Hey Warriorhealer22, just wanted to fyi.

If you ever buy one (Berkey Waterfilter)...don't forget to prime it. Here is a good PDF. I always review it before I use mine...bought another one the other day, just in case, our lakes hit 5%...going to double treat the water...just in case.

Hope all is well with you.

Thanks for the info, its an item that's on my list.

It means there is only the last 5% of dregs left in the water reservoir, I prefer British Berkfield filters cos they don't need priming. Larg bodies of water tend for various reasons to remain much more pure than small bodies of water, less toxic algal blooms, more dilution of bad stuff etc but when a body of water dries up to only 5 or 10% of capacity levels of pollutants start to increase.

Latest posts

Back