I just bought a sword and need advice

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will the sword be helpful to me

• Will the sword help me

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Will the sword not help me

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thank you Roninsensei, so how long did it take you to stop laughing at me?:D I am such a proud geeky nerd!

I used to LARP with some SCA'ers. So not so dorky to me!! Your in welcome company.. lol

Awesome. Got to love going to Hardee's with live steel strapped on and cops can't say jack because it's not concealed!

Okay, now y'all get to laugh at me. I did SCA for years. Fought in armor for several years as well. Got pretty good with rattan and weighted rattan. I do own several blades that were made for me by a craftsmen outside of Kansas City. I think my favorite is the bodice dirk he made for me.
ida loved to have done than back in the day, sadly, with kids n stuff i dont really have time.
you ever practiced with a bokken (wooden katana)?

No I didn't, or if I did, I had no clue what it was. Another thing people overlook for protection is a simply staff. You can beat the snot out of a person and still stay out of their reach while doing it.

No I didn't, or if I did, I had no clue what it was. Another thing people overlook for protection is a simply staff. You can beat the snot out of a person and still stay out of their reach while doing it.
a bokken is a wooden katana, usualky made of stained wood and weighted to about the weight of a katana sword. their good to practice with for beginners so you dont hurt yourself, others, or destroy something in the prosses.

I thought it was called that cause that's how you felt after it hit you. "Bokken" LOL

Bo= imitation or fake Ken= sword

Nice and sweet. I always thought a sword was a bit fussy for the end of the world scenario but I study Choy Lee Fut kung fu and their staff mechanics is out of this world for power generation and practicality. I know a sword form but I am more comfortable with a staff. We even practice blocking and strikes instead of straight up forms.

Nice and sweet. I always thought a sword was a bit fussy for the end of the world scenario but I study Choy Lee Fut kung fu and their staff mechanics is out of this world for power generation and practicality. I know a sword form but I am more comfortable with a staff. We even practice blocking and strikes instead of straight up forms.
I like the staff and practice using one often (un pro taught), however how will your staff stand up to a honed katana? Or even the weight of a broad sword?speed training and skill will have the last say obviously, but imho, with the speed even an unskilled person can swing a katana, going against one who is skilled, id hate to be holding a staff.

I like the staff and practice using one often (un pro taught), however how will your staff stand up to a honed katana? Or even the weight of a broad sword?speed training and skill will have the last say obviously, but imho, with the speed even an unskilled person can swing a katana, going against one who is skilled, id hate to be holding a staff.

Miyamoto Musashi was beaten by a staff. He was considered one of the greatest Japanese swordsmen ever. Using the right wood is key. a hard wood like Cocobolo or Bocote would stand up to most swords, but your doing something wrong if your hard blocking a sword.

To the original poster...the sword you described sounds made for decoration, not for combat. You could seriously injure yourself if you try and fight with it. Still, in a pinch, may be better than nothing, but if getting a sword as a melee weapon, I would recommend looking for a carbon steel sword made for the purpose.

since we've got 300 million guns in the USA and billions of rds of ammo, I think that it will be a long time before swords become an issue. :) However, for places/times/people who can't ccw a pistol, a hollow metal walking stick, 3 sided, tapering, divisible in half (quickly) with a removable, heavy "head", about 4 ft long, with a cane crook about 1 ft down from the top of the "stick", is legal everywhere and is a very fine weapon. It can be used 2 handed, like a staff, 2 sticks, like Filipino/style or like a sword. It only weighs 3/4 lb, so you can swish it around one handed, just like you can a rapier.

I made it. A local machineshop will probably want $200 or more to make you one, but it's pretty simple work, except perhaps for the interuppted thread ferrule, and you can buy that part. If you want it to be PRETTY, it will cost you 2x as much, cause the welds have to be full length, ground down, and all of it has to polished out and blued like a gun. Or you can use GunKote baked on finish.

Collapsible batons work pretty well (and similar to what is described above, just smaller). I used to use one back when I did security, as a backup weapon. ASP I believe, was the brand I used. Nice weapon.

and they're just as illegal to carry as is a handgun, most places. Even inmates in prison are allowed to carry canes. :) That's one reason that I favor the cane crook, about a foot down from the top of my walking stick. YOU are the only one who knows if your knee hurts you or not and you can always "bang" your knee on something, on the way to the hospital for evaluation. :) The cane crook also serves to protect your hand if the other guy's weapon slides down the stick at you.

Canes get to be almost a lifestyle though. Unless you're used to carrying one all the time (my wife does), you'll constantly leave it somewhere. It's also kind of a pain to take with you everywhere, especially if you rarely need it. I would recommend checking into the legality of ANY weapon you decide to carry though. States really vary on this....a LOT. For example, I could have an ASP baton in its holster, on my belt...no problem. If it is hidden in a pants pocket though, now I'd need a CCW to legally carry.

I am like a million years too late on the response. I have no issues with the staff going against any other melee weapon besides a good kusarigama (sickle and chain) but how many people know how to use it let alone beaned a person with one? That or a spear because it has a pointy bit. The staff power generation from choy lee fut is totally different than other schools that I've seen. I should have distance, speed, and different attack angles with the staff. Also I don't have to worry about angle of attack like a blade, I can block and snap back up without worrying if I have the correct cutting edge like a katana. Every part of the staff is a striking surface. Here is a video from my school of the staff work.

Nobodys carrying a katana, anyway, and if vs a guy using a shield and sword or spear, the 2 handed swordsman is at a horrible disadvantage.

Latest posts

Back