How situations in a blink of an eye can go south

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick

Top Poster
Reaction score
Washington State - between 2 mountains and a river
I haven't been on very much due to rehab for the past 5 weeks. Me and my daughter taken the horses up about 8 miles to check on the creek to remove debris and beaver dams from the water in preparation for winter, on the last leg of the journey we decided to check the small falls and make sure the water is flowing properly. We noticed a dam at the foot of one of the falls and decided to clear it, one of the rocks I was standing on broke from the edge sending me down 45 feet tumbling over the rocks into the water below, my right side was paralyzed, daughter finally pulled out of the water, she got my clothes off and wrapped me in two wool blankets, I couldn't get on the horse, setting or standing was out of the question. She written a note and put it in the dog collar tying a fluorescent orange ribbon to the collar sending my dog home, by the time the kids got their it was night, it took about 4 or 5 hours to get me back home. I have a fractured hip and leg broken in two places and a dislocated shoulder.
I guess the jest of it, is it don't matter how sure footed you are shit happens. My complacency caused this because I've gotten away with it for many years in the same spot, this time my luck ran out!

Several of the kids gone back the next day to retrieve a few items left behind and taken pictures, here are a couple of them.

I was wedged on the left side of the big log resting on the rock below it
Clipboard01.jpg

This is what I tumbled down over before I fell over a 15 foot drop off to the location in the above picture
Clipboard02.jpg

Last edited:
I was wondering what happened to you Maverick, its indeed sad news, but it could have been worse in so many ways. It's good you didn't go alone, having 2 people go do what only takes one is always smart. Having a trained dog with you is a great asset. And having a daughter that's as smart as that is priceless
Its great that your recovering.

The daughter is a flight/triage nurse, the dog knows the area pretty good, I never worry about him, the note and ribbon thing we have used a few times but generally not in cases like this. Doctor said it may take a year but more then likely I will have a permanent limp.

Go to town and buy a climbing harness and some 12 mm climbing rope next time you plan on doing something stupid. You have friends and family across the globe who care for you, you got off lucky so next time think about the people who care about you before you try to play mountain goats. Your daughter is wonderful.

Mav, you’re not 18 any more. Me either, but I forget it all the time myself.

Glad it isn’t worse my friend. Keep up updated on your progress. Sounds like you’ll have more time to hang out here.

You got the right, at 18 I probably would have walked away, I reckon 66 is a bit too old for this crap. I thought I would have spent more time here but since the injury I'm been a constant state of fatigue and find my self dozing off often and that dam airbag wrapped around my whole leg keeps me up most of the night when the compressor kicked on, the 21st century and they can't make this shit quiet?

Mav, your #1 job is healing. Do a little research, there are a number of vitamins that are key to healing. Get them & take them. You're tired because all your energy is going into repairing your body. Don't make it harder for yourself!
I love Patriot Power Greens, it gives me energy

Latest posts

Back