Gun purchasers may need to submit social media history

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't mass murder already illegal? Aren't the mental head cases already banned from buying a gun? Don't we already have 20,000+ plus gun laws on the books? Nothing is going to stop an evil person from doing bad things.
I still haven't heard from anyone wanting to address the true root cause of creating these evil people.
Most gullible liberals only want to pass more laws to restrict or make it harder for honest people to own firearms. I'm absolutely opposed to ANY more laws or restrictions that go against our Constitutional rights.
I also strongly support the death penalty be used more offten, and within 30 days of a guilty verdict.

I don't own guns and don't really like them (that may change after learning more about them from people here, but for now is the truth). But I do believe people should be free. My problem is not necessarily with scrutiny in and of itself, but with who is doing the scrutinizing. One day they may agree with you, but the next they may not, and it will by you who is prohibited from owning guns.
I believe that the value of guns may be overstated by the prepper community.

I am an avid and enthusiastic gun owner, but I have more than I need.

You don't need to have a whole armory (like I do) to be reasonably prepared.

Get professional instruction (many concealed carry schools offer a "womans' only" class).

Getting a simple double-action revolver (like a S&W Model 10), a .22 rifle, a 30-30 deer rifle, and a pump shotgun will probably take care of perhaps as much as 98% of all your gun needs.

A gun is the only thing that gives a woman parity with multiple sexual assailants. Cops will tell a woman to carry tear gas, a taser, and so on.

Big surprise, but a lot of this advice is grounded in chauvanistic sexism. Cops (many of them male) are concerned that a woman will get "hysterical" (itself a sexist term, as it refers to the uterus) and shoot unnecesarily.

Bullshit. It's all bullshit, and don't let people tell you otherwise.

If you get into guns, make people like Ludmilya Pavelichenko, Dr. James Barry, and Valentina Tereshkova be your role models.

Ludmilya had over 390 confirmed kills against the Nazis in WWII, Tereshkova was the first woman in outer space, and a champion sharpshooter, and James Barry was a woman who passed herself off as a man (to circumvent laws that forbade women from becoming doctors) so that she could enter medical school, and became a military surgeon without anyone guessing her true gender. Dr. Barry was also a champion shot, as there were many duels (with pistol) when there were accusations of homosexuality.

Don't let a shop owner try to sell you a girl's gun (they're all in a shade of pink that makes you wonder if all the gun manufacturers decided that every woman is inexplicably in love with Pepto-Bismol), and don't be afraid to walk and getter a better deal elsewhere if they act patronizing.

I hope this helps you.

@Kevin L

Very good advice. Well thought out. I might debate on the calibers but the general advice is outstanding. Your referenced Ladies are top notch.

I agree somewhat with the slippery slope of government regulation. I also know that the senseless mass shootings will continue if something dosent change. Debate is good, inaction isn’t.
You want change, have everyone armed that constitutionaly can be. These mass shooting will end.

I believe that the value of guns may be overstated by the prepper community.

I am an avid and enthusiastic gun owner, but I have more than I need.

You don't need to have a whole armory (like I do) to be reasonably prepared.

Get professional instruction (many concealed carry schools offer a "womans' only" class).

Getting a simple double-action revolver (like a S&W Model 10), a .22 rifle, a 30-30 deer rifle, and a pump shotgun will probably take care of perhaps as much as 98% of all your gun needs.

A gun is the only thing that gives a woman parity with multiple sexual assailants. Cops will tell a woman to carry tear gas, a taser, and so on.

Big surprise, but a lot of this advice is grounded in chauvanistic sexism. Cops (many of them male) are concerned that a woman will get "hysterical" (itself a sexist term, as it refers to the uterus) and shoot unnecesarily.

Bullshit. It's all bullshit, and don't let people tell you otherwise.

If you get into guns, make people like Ludmilya Pavelichenko, Dr. James Barry, and Valentina Tereshkova be your role models.

Ludmilya had over 390 confirmed kills against the Nazis in WWII, Tereshkova was the first woman in outer space, and a champion sharpshooter, and James Barry was a woman who passed herself off as a man (to circumvent laws that forbade women from becoming doctors) so that she could enter medical school, and became a military surgeon without anyone guessing her true gender. Dr. Barry was also a champion shot, as there were many duels (with pistol) when there were accusations of homosexuality.

Don't let a shop owner try to sell you a girl's gun (they're all in a shade of pink that makes you wonder if all the gun manufacturers decided that every woman is inexplicably in love with Pepto-Bismol), and don't be afraid to walk and getter a better deal elsewhere if they act patronizing.

I hope this helps you.
Thanks for the advice. I am familiar with Valentina Tereshkova but not the others - I think I need to do some research. I also guess I need to do some research on firearms classes in my area and add this to my list of things I need to shop for.

Thanks for the advice. I am familiar with Valentina Tereshkova but not the others - I think I need to do some research. I also guess I need to do some research on firearms classes in my area and add this to my list of things I need to shop for.
That's very good indeed, but don't forget to ask yourself deep questions about the spiritual and philisophical consequences of gun ownership. You must have it settled within yourself that you're ready to take a human life.

If you have children, consider a Magna Lock on a S&W revolver. You wear magnetic rings on both hands, and you can fire the gun all you want.

If a kid (or--for that matter--an assailant) gets the gun away from you, it becomes an inert paperweight.

Also spend money and get a biometric gun safe (opens to your fingerprint) so that only you can get the gun.

A magna lock is about $150.00, and a biometric gun safe is about the same.

Between these two things, you'll be able to keep the kids safe and still have instant access to your gun without fumbling around with keys or safe combinations in a high-stress situation.

Also, look into Glaser Safety Slugs if you're a parent.

Glasers are highly lethal, yet they almost never richochet, and they won't penetrate a criminal's body and kill a kid on the other side.

They were originally made for air marshals for use on aircraft, but seem to be very appropriate for defending a family in the confined quarters of a house and/or apartment.

I like Kevin L.

Allow me to disagree with all that up there. ^

Forget a revolver. They fail. Happens in instructor classes where a revolver is required, all the time. And there is no "slap, rack, back in the fight" with a revolver.

Semi auto, Glock, Ruger, Sig, whatever, in 9mm. Train with it. You aren't going to draw that anvil of a revolver like you will a modern semi-auto.

Carry it concealed. On your person. Dress for that, you can still wear hot clothes.

Magna locks are highly dependant on solid, repeatable hand placement, and you won't have that when you need it. It's been tested. I would stay FAR away from anything that adds to the complication of a panic threat response.

Cheap, easy, ball ammunition. Overpenetration is a myth (IMO). If your kids are in the line of fire, don't shoot.

No biometric safe, no gun lock, no nothing. Keep it where you can get at it. If your kids are old enough to get it, take them out and let them shoot it, teach them gun safety.

I have always had loaded, unsafe guns in my homes. With toddlers, kids, teenagers you name it. I teach them to use the gun. They know what happens. Never had an issue. Small enough kids, the bang scares the shit out of them, they stay far away.

Kevin's way is probably better than mine, until you actually need to use the gun. Then my way keeps you and yours alive and well.

I like Kevin L.

Allow me to disagree with all that up there. ^

Forget a revolver. They fail. Happens in instructor classes where a revolver is required, all the time. And there is no "slap, rack, back in the fight" with a revolver.

Semi auto, Glock, Ruger, Sig, whatever, in 9mm. Train with it. You aren't going to draw that anvil of a revolver like you will a modern semi-auto.

Carry it concealed. On your person. Dress for that, you can still wear hot clothes.

Magna locks are highly dependant on solid, repeatable hand placement, and you won't have that when you need it. It's been tested. I would stay FAR away from anything that adds to the complication of a panic threat response.

Cheap, easy, ball ammunition. Overpenetration is a myth (IMO). If your kids are in the line of fire, don't shoot.

No biometric safe, no gun lock, no nothing. Keep it where you can get at it. If your kids are old enough to get it, take them out and let them shoot it, teach them gun safety.

I have always had loaded, unsafe guns in my homes. With toddlers, kids, teenagers you name it. I teach them to use the gun. They know what happens. Never had an issue. Small enough kids, the bang scares the shit out of them, they stay far away.

Kevin's way is probably better than mine, until you actually need to use the gun. Then my way keeps you and yours alive and well.
Most of what he says is true, but it's a matter of costs vs. benefit.

More ink has been sacrificed on the "revolver vs. auto" conflict than probably any other subject in a gun discussion, so I won't rehash here. Suffice it to say that a revolver is still a very viable fighting tool.

As for the Magna Lock, I don't like arguments from authority, but I'm going to break one of my own rules. Massad Ayoob (holy ascended gun master) whole heartedly endorses and reccomends the Magna Lock.

I base my suggestions on what I've seen in my field while working as a paramedic in gun-saturated South Florida. Ball ammo does have a tendency to overpenetrate and richochet, and I believe my suggestions strive (successfully or not) to strike a balance between safety and effectiveness with someone who may be new to guns.

Everyone has their opinions, though, and I respect yours, Squirtgun.

I'm not completely ignorant about guns, I just don't like them. A lot of my friends and family do own guns and I have fired a variety of guns on different occasions but I hated most of them. I think part of it is that I have short arms and small hands which makes them difficult for me to handle.
I do have a question though about biometric safes - it seems they would require electricity to operate? So they would be useful for everyday but less so in a worse situation (which is when one would more likely need it?) Just a thought.

Batteries. It's less fancy than a scientific calculator.

Some guns are difficult for me to operate (.357 pistol, .44 pistol, large caliber rifles) and while I can fire them, I don't do so for pleasure.

It's a big mistake to hand someone more gun than they can handle or enjoy, to be their first experience.

I'll tell you the truth, I wouldn't want someone firing my .22 caliber pistol at me, even from a hundred yards away. I'd be beating feet and looking for cover.

I'd also be pretty mad if they hit me.

At in home, or parking lot distances? That little .22 has 10 rounds, and no recoil, you can put someone down with that. It's viable defense in my opinion.

I have a 12 gauge in the house because I can blow someone back down the stairs, blow my door off it's hinges, blow the windows out of their car, switch to the 9mm and riddle the inside of the car with bullets.

I like my home defense dramatic.

I have enjoyed the debate (minor one) between Kevin and SGS. I won't get into the revolver vs. semi auto but I will have to side with SGS on the gun safes. I raised two very independent and curious boys, Rule breaking was not unheard of by them. One rule they never broke and they have admitted to breaking many of the house rules, was they never touched one of our guns without permission. I went against all traditional teaching, I told the boys that ALL the guns were kept loaded. There were no safe unloaded gun in the house. Now that was not true. I also did not keep the guns in a safe or have any form of locks on them. Most of the guns were kept in the closet unloaded but a couple were on the night stand or in the night stand drawer.

Living in Arizona, I am allow to carry and I do, during all my waking hours, home or out. I also keep a loaded 20 ga, shotgun by the bed, and an AR15 in the closet. I do plan to get a cheap gun safe, simply for ease of storage, not for safety. My collection of firearms will continue to grow, so I will need better storage space. The wife really objects to surrendering any of her closet space. :D I have to maximize my storage space. Bottom line, I am not a big fan of locking down weapons, with any type of devices. I do agree and would insist any children present in the home, must be taken to the range and shown and taught proper gun safety. They need to see and understand these are not toys and once the trigger is pulled, something down range is going to get a hole in it.

Over penetration is another hot topic and highly debatable. To me, over penetration is not the real issue, missing the target is the big issue. If I hit the bad guy center mass, I really seriously doubt there will be enough energy left in the bullet to do much, if any, damage to a bystander. Now if I miss the bad guy, then no matter the caliber or bullet type, it could be a danger to bystanders. Granted bullet type and caliber due play a factor in penetration but hitting the target in the desired location plays a bigger part. Yes I know that if I hit somebody center mass with a 50 BMG, it is going through, got it, but we are talking general home / self defense. Now, 9mm, 40, 10mm, 45acp, 38spc, 380, almost any bullet type will either stop or lose enough energy to not be a major threat to bystanders, if the the shot was a center mass shot, even FMJ (Full Metal Jacket).

kate, something my wife wanted, I loaded her 9mm pistol with the first round snake load (she thinks it the first 2 rounds), this is her way to justify using force. Her concept (not mine) is the first 2 shots are to change the bad guys mind. If the bad guy continues to advance, the next shots are lethal. You can have the option of a first round snake load in several calibers. You do have to be careful with semi-auto pistols, many will not cycle with snake loads. I tested my wife's pistol, it worked with her pistol, but would not cycle mine. There are any handgun and ammunition types for every occasion and personal size. Just take your time and pick out what works best for your need.

Last edited:
There were guns everywhere when I was a kid, here, at my folks house...

What did we care? We could just ask, and get handed a beat up .22 rifle or .410, the folks were glad to be rid of us, and if we got rid of a few racoons, so much the better.

Shoot the weathervanes and you get the switch, though. A lesson well learned lol.

5 or 6 kids, age 8 to 13 or so. Out shooting guns unsupervised. We lived.

Idiot did shoot Ritchie in the ### climbing over a barbed wire fence, but it was just a few pellets, more embarrassed than injured. We still laugh about it.

I have enjoyed the debate (minor one) between Kevin and SGS. I won't get into the revolver vs. semi auto but I will have to side with SGS on the gun safes. I raised two very independent and curious boys, Rule breaking was not unheard of by them. One rule they never broke and they have admitted to breaking many of the house rules, was they never touched one of our guns without permission. I went against all traditional teaching, I told the boys that ALL the guns were kept loaded. There were no safe unloaded gun in the house. Now that was not true. I also did not keep the guns in a safe or have any form of locks on them. Most of the guns were kept in the closet unloaded but a couple were on the night stand or in the night stand drawer.

Living in Arizona, I am allow to carry and I do, during all my waking hours, home or out. I also keep a loaded 20 ga, shotgun by the bed, and an AR15 in the closet. I do plan to get a cheap gun safe, simply for ease of storage, not for safety. My collection of firearms will continue to grow, so I will need better storage space. The wife really objects to surrendering any of her closet space. :D I have to maximize my storage space. Bottom line, I am not a big fan of locking down weapons, with any type of devices. I do agree and would insist any children present in the home, must be taken to the range and shown and taught proper gun safety. They need to see and understand these are not toys and once the trigger is pulled, something down range is going to get a hole in it.

Over penetration is another hot topic and highly debatable. To me, over penetration is not the real issue, missing the target is the big issue. If I hit the bad guy center mass, I really seriously doubt there will be enough energy left in the bullet to do much, if any, damage to a bystander. Now if I miss the bad guy, then no matter the caliber or bullet type, it could be a danger to bystanders. Granted bullet type and caliber due play a factor in penetration but hitting the target in the desired location plays a bigger part. Yes I know that if I hit somebody center mass with a 50 BMG, it is going through, got it, but we are talking general home / self defense. Now, 9mm, 40, 10mm, 45acp, 38spc, 380, almost any bullet type will either stop or lose enough energy to not be a major threat to bystanders, if the the shot was a center mass shot, even FMJ (Full Metal Jacket).

kate, something my wife wanted, I loaded her 9mm pistol with the first round snake load (she thinks it the first 2 rounds), this is her way to justify using force. Her concept (not mine) is the first 2 shots are to change the bad guys mind. If the bad guy continues to advance, the next shots are lethal. You can have the option of a first round snake load in several calibers. You do have to be careful with semi-auto pistols, many will not cycle with snake loads. I tested my wife's pistol, it worked with her pistol, but would not cycle mine. There are any handgun and ammunition types for every occasion and personal size. Just take your time and pick out what works best for your need.
I understand most of your points, but I still stand by the biometric gun safe.

I've said it before, as I believe that my EMS experience has twisted my values in some ways.

I've run on too many kids who were killed, maimed, and/or paralyzed by unsecured guns.

I stand by my biometric safe ideas, as I have empirical evidence.

I've taken Wal-mart Airsoft guns that fire a plastic pellet, and worked through different scenarios with a friend breaking into my house (with safety glasses and protective clothing, of course).

I don't find that a biometric safe slows me down enough to make a difference.

I think safety is a personal decision. We are all comfortable with different levels. I have loaded guns in several spots around the house. None are chambered, At least there is zero chance of a gun falling over and firing. I am comfortable with my choice as I have no children anywhere near. With kids around I will secure all weapons more. All I can say about it is sure, you may have grown up and survived with loaded unsecured weapons around. But it only takes one accidental firing to end a child’s life. Just not worth it for me. Again, just a personal decision.

Man, I respect that choice!

That's into parental rights, personal beliefs, safety and responsibility.

I'm for all those things. Anyone who chimed in and pointed out the value of responsible gun ownership, hey, I'm with you.

It's a personal choice, no issues, no argument from me.

We each have to do what we believe is best, now if the liberals would just quit trying to tell us we have to believe and follow what they think is best, what a wonderful world it would be.

We each have to do what we believe is best, now if the liberals would just quit trying to tell us we have to believe and follow what they think is best, what a wonderful world it would be.
Lol. I agree with you on throwing out the far left, but only if we get to throw out the far right at the same time. If we were left with the more moderate and sensible people somewhere in the middle we might be able to actually fix some things.

Lol. I agree with you on throwing out the far left, but only if we get to throw out the far right at the same time. If we were left with the more moderate and sensible people somewhere in the middle we might be able to actually fix some things.

I think for the very first time, I can agree with your post 100 percent.

Latest posts

Back