Gardens 2019

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're calling for snow showers for today and tomorrow here.
Really? You don’t get a break for a garden there at all. Well, when the house is done it’s time to plan a greenhouse. Buried on three sides, solar, maybe wood stove even, oh and a blower to clear the snow from the roof!

Snakes are good at getting rid of other pests. I usually catch them, handle than a little and then let them go again. I really like having them around.
I'm in agreement with you on that. My only issue is with the number of rattlesnakes that we get around the house here. Just last week I killed a rattler within 10 feet of the back door.

I'm in agreement with you on that. My only issue is with the number of rattlesnakes that we get around the house here. Just last week I killed a rattler within 10 feet of the back door.
I’m not crazy about poisonous ones being close to the house either. Even those have a place though and I’m likely to catch and release somewhere else.

I’m not crazy about poisonous ones being close to the house either. Even those have a place though and I’m likely to catch and release somewhere else.
That's a good idea. I have given some thought to building a cage and catching them alive and see about selling them to a person that milks them for their venom. I don't like wasting any wildlife, even a rattlesnake. So far all I have is a bag full of rattles.

That's a good idea. I have given some thought to building a cage and catching them alive and see about selling them to a person that milks them for their venom. I don't like wasting any wildlife, even a rattlesnake. So far all I have is a bag full of rattles.

Seems you could sell those for people who make necklaces etc.

I’ve put many snakes in a pillow case for relocating. 99.9% of the time a snake in the bag will not strike, but good advice is if it’s a poisonous snake handle the bag carefully just in case you have that .1% reptile. I donated some snakes to the reptile park at silver springs when I was a teenager. Ross Allen was a pretty famous reptile handler there at the time. There is a place for all animals in the world, even rattlers.

At this time my garden looks so sad. . . I am normally an avid weeder, nut with everything going on, so my poor garden looks sad. I am still producing but I dont think I will ever catch up on the weeding. Some is almost knee high. Tomorrow morning I will be picking more tomatoes to process. I just recently did chopped tomatoes and then spaghetti sauce. I think tomorrow will be more spaghetti because I only got 7 quarts so far. Peppers have been outstanding this year. I have candied jalaps to can and have split my green bells in half for the freezer.

Welllllll, I posted on Shoutbox that we were having storms.

The house is okay but we have a large tree across our drive and a huge walnut tree that I asked the Corps to cut last year has fallen across my garden fence and half of my beans are smashed.

I'm counting our blessings. My wonderful husband won't even get his fat ### up and survey the damage.

This time he is going to have to man up and take charge not me. I'll call the Corps about their tree, but that's it.

Yes, I'm a little pissed at him right now. Lol

Welllllll, I posted on Shoutbox that we were having storms.

The house is okay but we have a large tree across our drive and a huge walnut tree that I asked the Corps to cut last year has fallen across my garden fence and half of my beans are smashed.

I'm counting our blessings. My wonderful husband won't even get his fat ### up and survey the damage.

This time he is going to have to man up and take charge not me. I'll call the Corps about their tree, but that's it.

Yes, I'm a little pissed at him right now. Lol
Google bandsaw mills in your area. I bet one of them will come and get at least the trunk of the tree ASAP.

Google bandsaw mills in your area. I bet one of them will come and get at least the trunk of the tree ASAP.

I had huge, straight walnut trees and I called all mills to see and none would even look because they said that they have no idea if any had bullets or nails embedded. Said one woyld ruin a $500 blade and it wasn't worth it.

I think the walnut tree shoyld be the Corps responsibility because I tried to have it removed at my expense just last year.

I had huge, straight walnut trees and I called all mills to see and none would even look because they said that they have no idea if any had bullets or nails embedded. Said one woyld ruin a $500 blade and it wasn't worth it.

I think the walnut tree shoyld be the Corps responsibility because I tried to have it removed at my expense just last year.
That’s why the bandsaw mills are the ones to call. Their blades are 40.00 compared to the bigger mills 500 ea. It’s worth risking a bandsaw blade for a pile of walnut boards. The stuff is over 5.00 a foot now. Great for furniture makers.

That’s why the bandsaw mills are the ones to call. Their blades are 40.00 compared to the bigger mills 500 ea. It’s worth risking a bandsaw blade for a pile of walnut boards. The stuff is over 5.00 a foot now. Great for furniture makers.

What's bad about this is that it splintered up and down the trunk, ruining any chances of getting lumber. Just my luck.
I called every mill in the area when I had the walnut trees. Ended up giving them to a neighbor for firewood.

I was watching out the window and the trees were bending so far I'm surprised we haven't more damage.

They should have metal detectors for checking for metal objects. If you weren't so far away I'd take the trees.

Latest posts

Back