Gardening 2023

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone left some of their potatoes in the ground all winter and had them grow in the spring? Just an idea I’m going to test out.
Dug these SWs up cple/few wks. Ago. Been in ground quite a while. Not sure what they turned into. Ignore the onion in the pic.

Attachments

• 20230929_194432.jpg
    20230929_194432.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
For those who want to plan how much they will need to plant when the stores go unstocked, here are some examples.

Wide rows planted like this grow more produce! These rows are 36” wide.
1698610310678.jpeg

Here are some plants and their normal yield. Of course this will vary according to location and weather.

Artichoke.
Grow 1 to 2 plants per person. Yield 12 buds per plant after the first year. Space plants 4 to 6 feet apart.

Arugula. Grow 5 plants per person. Space plants 6 inches equidistant apart.

Asparagus. Grow 30 to 50 roots for a household of 2 to 4 people. Yield 3 to 4 pounds of spears per 10-foot row. Space plants 12 inches apart equidistant.

Bean, Dried. Grow 4 to 8 plants per person. Yield in pounds varies per variety—space plants 1 to 3 inches apart equidistant or in rows 2 to 3 feet apart.

Bean, Fava. Grow 4 to 8 plants per person—space plants 4 to 5 inches apart equidistant or in rows 18 to 30 inches apart.

Bean, Garbanzo, Chickpea. Grow 4 to 8 plants per person. Yield 4 to 6 pounds per 10-foot row. Space plants 3 to 6 inches apart equidistant or in rows 24 to 30 inches apart.

Bean, Lima. Grow 4 to 8 per person. Yield 4 to 6 pounds per 10-foot row. Space bush lima beans 3 to 6 inches apart equidistant or in rows 24 to 30 inches apart; increase distance for pole limas.

Beans, Snap. Grow 4 to 8 plants total of each variety or several varieties per person. Yield 3 to 5 pounds per 10-foot row. Space plants 1 to 3 inches apart equidistant or in rows 2 to 3 feet apart.

Beans, Soy. Grow 4 to 8 plants per person. Yield 4 to 6 pounds per 10-foot row. Space plants 2 inches apart equidistant or in rows 2 to 3 feet apart.

Beets. Grow 5 to 10 mature plants per person. Yield 8 to 10 pounds per 10-foot row. Space plants 3 inches apart equidistant for roots–1 inch apart for greens.

Broccoli. Grow 2 to 4 plants per person. Yield 4 to 6 pounds per 10-foot row. Space plants 18 to 24 inches apart equidistant or in rows 3 feet apart.

Brussels sprouts. Grow 1 to 2 plants per person. Yield 3 to 5 pounds per 10-foot row. Space plants 18 to 24 inches apart equidistant or in rows 36 inches apart.

Cabbage. Grow 4 to 8 plants per person. Yield 10 to 25 pounds per 10-foot row. Space plants 24 to 30 inches apart equidistant or in rows 30 to 36 inches apart.

Carrots. Grow 30 plants per person. Yield 7 to 10 pounds per 10-foot row. Thin plants to 1½ to 2 inches apart equidistant or in rows 12 inches apart.

If you want me to post more plants, just let me know! ;)

Beauregard sweet potatoes . They always seem to do good .
That is the same type I grew. Our weather was cool here up until the middle of July. Then was hot for a few weeks, but got cool again. We just didn’t get the heat required for sweet potatoes. Unusual for here. I noticed Tennessee had lots of hot days this summer. Did you?

Robin did yours grow well?

That is the same type I grew. Our weather was cool here up until the middle of July. Then was hot for a few weeks, but got cool again. We just didn’t get the heat required for sweet potatoes. Unusual for here. I noticed Tennessee had lots of hot days this summer. Did you?

Robin did yours grow well?
We had some above average temperatures but mostly a mild rainy summer then drought started in September .

Whew! Spent the day in the gardens and greenhouse. Placed row covers over my growing brussel sprouts, green and red cabbages, and mustard greens. Finished harvesting my potatoes. Removed the still growing tomato and pepper plants in the greenhouse. Put the heater in there and plugged up the heat pads under all my growing plants. Hubby collected my citrus trees and brought them in. Those babies are heavy! Watered all my greens growing in there. Kale, Romain, spinach and Swiss chard. I’m feeling really good!! 😁

My winter garden is now in question . I planted , it was growing , a fall drought killed . Now I may plant again on my next day off or just cover with compost and let it set all winter and wait for spring .
You're a step ahead of me. I only planned half of what I meant to plant so now all we have are winter greens. I doubt there's time for anything to grow enough now, but I'll try to just get things in the ground early next spring.

Latest posts

Back