EMP design : baking tray critique

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spelimp

Reaction score
Can anybody advise on the follow idea of an EMP protective case.

The idea being to clasp together two identical oven trays, to form a box:

HTB1T_icXsnrK1RjSspkq6yuvXXa2.jpg

Then to use aluminium tap to seal around the edges.

Naturally there would have to be a non-conductive inner lining, but that essentially should be sufficient to protect against ~50dB ?

Any thoughts please ?

Last edited:
There's EMP bags that are much easier to open and close for small items to be protected. It would be better to use those. It's the large equipment like desktop computers, laptops that will likely be damaged by emp and of course generators, vehicles, solar systems, the electrical grid, etc... A cell phone or even a small tablet won't, as long as there not plugged in to anything.

An EMP pulse will force electrons from the conduction and semi-conduction bands. As SSDs store electrons in a silicon gate after being deposited there by a MOSFET (metal–oxide–semiconductor field-effect transistor), they will simply lose their charge. Rotating platter drives on the other hand, that rely on magnetic domains, should be more resistant.

From everything that I have seen online, any reduction that a re-sealable RF blocking polymer bag offers is less so than food grade aluminium foil, metal woven fabric, or a dedicated container, so I would rather avoid them.

Granted I have an emergency radio + other stuff in my faraday cage and also it is in EMP bags , but the reality is after an EMP attack there isn't likely any of these type of devices going to be of any use because there will be no broadcast sent out for them to receive . As a prepper I sometimes do things that I consider futile but will at least try as I have a never give up attitude . --- My faraday cage is simply an old non-functioning microwave oven . Whether it would actually work , I don't know but for extra insurance placed its contents in zip lock EMP bags . Then again I really don't know if those EMP bags work either .

Last edited:
For myself I am looking to preserve my digital life, so I need that extra redundancy with backup.

Putin may be bluffing, but he also may not.

Any thoughts on my proposed system ? I am looking to try with some walkie-talkies, as they can have a wider dynamic range of frequency, even up to 100dB, which should be more than enough if I can break that signal.

My faraday cage is simply an old non-functioning microwave oven . Whether it would actually work , I don't know but for extra insurance placed its contents in zip lock EMP bags . Then again I really don't know if those EMP bags work either .
A consumer microwave oven operates in the 2.4 GHz-2.5 GHz range, and that is what it is designed to block; nothing else.

Exactly Dr. Henley, and that is what is so taxing when designing a system without the proper tools to broadcast and receive in select frequencies, as one material may excel in one part of the spectrum, whilst neglecting another.

I hold hope in high dynamic range two way radios, operating at >100dB, as this will inevitably require nesting to give adequate survivability, but I do not have any of those either.

Last edited:
I have come to the conclusion that no one really knows what will work or not. It is all guess work (yes, educated guesses but still guesses). I am not attempting to prepare for all events. I have a steel outdoor building that I have sealed with metal tape. Using alum screen to create a minor seal where the doors slide and close. I have metal shelves in the building lined with cardboard. I have a few items stored in metal boxes on these shelves. That's it. Most of my planned protection is based upon hope that I am far enough away from the event that this will provide sufficient protection. I am hoping the building will provide enough protection to my "old style" generator (non-invertor) and riding mower. Being all engines are carbureted with basic ignition, I suspect these items will continue to run and the metal building will provide added protection especially if I am far away from the event.

Since I have just started setting up solar system for some of my electrical needs (off grid only. Nothing connected to the grid.) I think, I may need to store a replacement charge controller and invertor in a box within the steel building. I really should have those around anyways so this would not be anything extra.

In the end, I have determined that there is not a lot of electronic equipment that I think I would need. Yes, I want to have electricity available for cold storage and limited lighting. I have stored some communication devices. Small radio (which may be useless), walkie-talkie and old CB radio. Not much else.

What else do others think needs to be protected? My setup may or may-not work. Either way, as long as I have food, water and protection covered anything else is a bonus.

I just purchased EMP shields for my solar system, my battery banks, my generator system and my house electricial wiring. I'm currently installing them. I will be protected from EMP, lightning and electrical surges. One of my vehicles also has one. Everything plugged into these systems is also protected.

Granted I have an emergency radio + other stuff in my faraday cage and also it is in EMP bags , but the reality is after an EMP attack there isn't likely any of these type of devices going to be of any use because there will be no broadcast sent out for them to receive . As a prepper I sometimes do things that I consider futile but will at least try as I have a never give up attitude . --- My faraday cage is simply an old non-functioning microwave oven . Whether it would actually work , I don't know but for extra insurance placed its contents in zip lock EMP bags . Then again I really don't know if those EMP bags work either .

I have some critical auto components etc in sealed mylar bags and then stored in a sealed compartment in a flatbed truck like this...
1667047402620.png

That way they are always with the driver.

I just purchased EMP shields for my solar system, my battery banks, my generator system and my house electricial wiring. I'm currently installing them. I will be protected from EMP, lightning and electrical surges. One of my vehicles also has one. Everything plugged into these systems is also protected.
Where did you find them??

I found an online tutorial by Dr. Henley Bradley for a kit that he sells to mimic the expensive equipment that he sells.

It relies on a button box attenuator which will restrict the signal broadcast from the transmission CB radio to better understand what your setup can resist, it looks like the best way to test:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back