Dorian projected to be CAT 2 hurricane when it gets to Florida....

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm almost in the middle of the cone in Palm Beach County.

I've been through many hurricanes before, but my other half hasn't.

I was a relief worker after Hurricane Andrew with Humana and the Red Cross.

She has always criticized my preoccupation with prepping.

After this......maybe we'll be on the same sheet of music.

I'm almost in the middle of the cone in Palm Beach County.

I've been through many hurricanes before, but my other half hasn't.

I was a relief worker after Hurricane Andrew with Humana and the Red Cross.

She has always criticized my preoccupation with prepping.

After this......maybe we'll be on the same sheet of music.
She always objected to the expense of a generator. After sitting with me in the 90° heat and 95% humidity for the three or four days before the power comes back......maybe she'll change her tune.

It's supposed to be a category 4 now.

Yep, this could get real nasty.

204603_key_messages_sm.png

Wife and I are currently in Atlanta. But our daughter is home with all the animals. Currently...the track has it going right at us. Irma all over again. Just did this two years ago. We are fully prepped for it. I even boarded windows...but bad timing. Too expensive to cancel our trip. Supposed to fly back Tue. We'll see....if it isn't cancelled.

Sorry to hear about the bad timing. I thought you were further north, not central FL?

I think for those directly in the path that this is going to be much worse than Irma. Maybe further north FL will be similar (slow moving, lots of falling water). But east coast north of WPB is going to be destroyed. Go back 30 years & look at the damage from Andrew. A direct hit cat 4. But Andrew moved quickly saving further damage. From what they're showing, once Dorian hits, the brakes come on and it crawls. Rising water from falling water is going to cause as much damage as the initial hit. The slow move is what we faced with Harvey here in TX a couple of years ago. We had 30" of rain over a couple of days and I'm 100+ miles from the coast.

Wow. Look at the map, Dorian has not moved at all over the past 24 hours. The 'northern Bahamas' are sitting just below the eye. When the hurricane finally moves, we'll see the level of destruction. I suspect it will be massive. Many 'homes' there are made of corrugated tin, little more than a cheap tool shed you might have in the back yard. Subject those to 100+ mph winds (let alone gusts/micro-tornados) and add both the falling water and rising waters, it's going to be very deadly. It's no accident that no major news have people in the Bahamas... they were smart enough to not send them to their deaths (or they refused to go!).

I wonder if the Clinton Foundation will organize to help the Bahamas, just like they did with Haiti. Where 1% of the money actually made it to the island.

Wow. Bahamas have spent the last 3 days under the hurricane going from a cat 5 to a cat 2. Only now is the rain stopping. Initial aerial views show massive destruction. The two biggest islands had 70k people living there, and the highest land was 40 ft above sea level. I'd guess 50+k people are now 'homeless'. And probably 100's are dead/missing.

Latest posts

Back