Chicken/egg question

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have had a hawk lurking. Do they rip Open the abdomin?

This was a daytime attack and i read that weasels are mostly nocturnal.

Iv had chickens killed by Hawks and they would eat a strip of breast meat or off the neck and leave the rest . Really sounds like a Cooper hawk or red tail that got Your hen .

Mom told me that a hawk was outside earlier this week. I went out, but nothing. She was probably too heavy for a hawk to pick up. Looks like we would have heard something. At least one of my 3 wonderful guard dogs. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Caught the extra rooster and put him in the infirmary. (Rabbit cage in the laundry room) He will be picked up tomorrow and someone's dinner tomorrow night.

A hawk just had a hen pinned to the ground. I scared it away, but the hen ran away and I can't find it.

Now I'm just checking all the tree tops.
We saved one once that the hawk had 10 ft in the air. The screaming and running startled it enough to decide to let it go. Surprised the hen didn’t have a heart attack!

Okay. I have a broody hen. I left her in the nesting box with her 4 eggs. Today I go look and the other ladies have been giving her eggs and now she has 12.

I'm sure its an instinctive, save the species thing.

Question for chicken people. Should I have separated her and her eggs from the other hens when she first went broody or leave her in the nesting box?

I don't need 12+ baby chicks every time a lady goes broody. I was hoping to get 4 babies to replace the ones the fox ate.
Take the eggs and leave a golf ball in the nest. You could also just leave one egg in the best every day. You could also separate your rooster from the chickens. Your choice.

Screenshot_2020-03-17-10-03-25.png

Latest posts

Back