"Caravan"

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrHenley

Top Poster
Global Moderator
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
Word histories, especially the different evolution of words in different countries, has always fascinated me.

Take the word "Caravan" - From the Persian کاروان‎

Originally, a caravan was a group of people traveling together across the desert on camels.

Caravan
53837e31d99f8a40d808c59d77064cea.jpg

So it was only natural that when people started traveling together in groups of vehicles, the word "caravan" was sometimes used to describe the group.

Caravan of automobiles
web630-model-t-convoy.jpg

The word was especially used in place of "convoy" when describing a group of tourists traveling together in vehicles, especially when they were towing travel trailers or campers.

Caravan of tourists towing travel trailers
airstreams-rv-caravan-by-Airstream-Life.jpg

Today, in the United States, it still means a group of people traveling together for recreation, as opposed to a convoy which generally refers to a caravan of military vehicles or long haul truckers.

convoy-of-caravans-on-the-road.jpg

But somehow, in the UK and their other former colonies, caravan completely lost its original meaning, and got attached to the travel trailers people used in caravans, instead of the caravans themselves. How it made the jump is curious, since the meaning is completely different from the original. I can only assume that people spoke about traveling in a "caravan" and other people heard that and misunderstood what they meant, thinking it was the camper they were referring to instead of the collective word for the group.

At any rate, now in the UK, it is a "one size fits all" word which means a SINGLE

Camper
popup3-thumb.jpg

Or Travel trailer
traveltrailersforsaleintexas.jpg.pagespeed.ce.lmCMjaXimz.jpg

Or Pickup Camper
97%20Ford-Elkhorn%20camper.JPG

Or Mobile Home
foreclosed-mobile-home.jpg

Or Gypsy wagon
1902-original-Hearst-gypsy-wagon-full-1.jpg

Or Tiny Home
mobile-home-insurance-get-the-details-mobile-home-cheap-modern-home.jpg

Last edited:
Caravan my friend is a " Spit" FRENCH word. Word Origin and History for caravan. n. 1580s, from Middle French caravane

1 Camel Caravan is Camel Train in English English
2 Caravan of automobiles is a Cavalcade or Convoy
3 Caravan of tourists towing travel trailers is Convoy of Caravans
4 RV is a Motorhome
5 Camper is a Trailer Tent
6 Travel Trailer is a Caravan
7 Pickup Camper is a Demountable
8 Mobile home is a Static (Caravan)
9 Gypsy Wagon is Roma Traveller Caravan
10 Tiny Home is only something the Yanks can come up with :)

A gadzho soha nem fogják megérteni. That caravan lifestyle.

But I'm as American as apple pie and bass fishing (I do love to nail a big carp though) so I will call my Airstream a travel trailer.

Love the word history on caravan.

Haven't I read the places camel trains stopped at as "caravansary?"

A gadzho soha nem fogják megérteni. That caravan lifestyle.

But I'm as American as apple pie and bass fishing (I do love to nail a big carp though) so I will call my Airstream a travel trailer.

Love the word history on caravan.

Haven't I read the places camel trains stopped at as "caravansary?"

AHA Gotcha REAL Merkins hunt for Catfish :)

Seriously, never thought about the camel being the first use of the word. I figured the ‘car’ part signified the automobile.

If you'll notice, I removed the RV from the list, bigpaul. But from what I read, truck campers are considered caravans (it's sort of being "towed"), so I left that in the list.

yes, I don't think RV's as such exist over here-not down here anyway, a truck camper is more likely a "living in " vehicle with a wood burner used by the homeless and alternative community(horse boxes are a favourite of this group).

Large RVs over here are often referred to as Expedition Vehicles as well. Oddly enough they often get called Winnebagos regardless of who made them. Ex Peds often being highly off road capable or having high ground clearance and short overhangs. Winnies being those huge great things your Snowbirds like so much.

Last edited:
Camel trains go back to BEFORE Marco Polos time when silk route traders transported goods and merchandise between China, India and Europe, much of the central and eastern parts of the journey was done with Camels. We ( Brits refer to them as Camel Trains, French call them Camel Caravans or Camel Convoys hence the often used words CONVOI EXCEPTIONNEL for very long modern road vehicles on the Continent.

Latest posts

Back