Canned Food vs. MRE/Long Term Storage Food

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had a question about what type of food is best for stockpiling. I've been mainly focused on canned goods from the grocery store. They're relatively cheap, and their shelf life is pretty good, between 2 to 3 years. I know that some preppers stockpile MREs and Long Term Storage foods, but I'm not sure what the benefit is. They're bulky and really expensive compared to canned goods, and sure as hell don't taste as good. So why?

I bought a few from an Army Surplus store. They weren't terrible, but I wouldn't eat them as a late night snack.

Do they have this printed on the package?
Q8S27Mc.png

If not, they are at least 23 years old, or are not government issue.

The other way to tell is if it contains a FRH (Flameless Ration Heater). Commercial MREs don't have it.

Last edited:
I can’t agree more with ‘all the above’. I have a pantry filled with regular cans of food, condiments and supplies that are used daily. I also have some dry goods like beans and rice for medium length storage. Even though the freeze dried foods are more expensive they will last 25 to 30 yrs on average without having to think about rotating them. I like buying them as they are light if needed to carry and will outlast me at this point. If something happens in my lifetime then I get to eat. If it doesn’t then my son will get them and hopefully help him out one day. If nothing ever happens then I’m ok with that too. It was just the cost of an insurance policy for peace of mind. As far as having three types of stores, well I get bored with the same meal rather quickly so being able to mix it up a bit is a good thing. Both for taste and nutrition.

Latest posts

Back