After Nuked gardening

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poltiregist

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Some of our members reside outside the Nuke target areas . After the Nukes stop a Global Winter is predicted . Which plants would be best for the survivors to grow . I would think plants that would grow under cloudy and cool conditions would be our survival garden plants . Would it be better considering the radioactivity levels to grow "above ground " or " under ground crops " ? Which plants are you considering for the " After Nuked Lifestyle " ?

Some of our members reside outside the Nuke target areas . After the Nukes stop a Global Winter is predicted . Which plants would be best for the survivors to grow . I would think plants that would grow under cloudy and cool conditions would be our survival garden plants . Would it be better considering the radioactivity levels to grow "above ground " or " under ground crops " ? Which plants are you considering for the " After Nuked Lifestyle " ?

In theory, whether or not there is a nuclear winter (and how long lasting/severe) will depend largely on the types of detonations. An "air" detonation will push debris out more than up, where as a surface detonation, will suck debris high into the atmosphere where it will disperse there and float around for a long time.

I would think a tight greenhouse would be a decent option. Room, light, protection from falling particles. Getting to it may be the real challenge.

I am working right now on designing my "earth sheltered green house" with a cold seep chamber. The only part above ground will be the skylights. The problem with it, at least from what I understand, is that while it will shelter from dust, it will not stop the penetration of certain radioisotopes through said skylights. ]

I am thinking might need temporary additional shielding of some sort, that can be removed once rads have returned to "acceptable" levels.

I am working right now on designing my "earth sheltered green house" with a cold seep chamber. The only part above ground will be the skylights. The problem with it, at least from what I understand, is that while it will shelter from dust, it will not stop the penetration of certain radioisotopes through said skylights. ]

I am thinking might need temporary additional shielding of some sort, that can be removed once rads have returned to "acceptable" levels.
Make your skylights have a bend with a mirror to redirect light. Most of the gamma rays will go right through the mirror and not make it around the corner.

I think one of the biggest challenges will be storing soil that contains the beneficial bacteria roots need to function. Bags of miracle grow potting soil sitting in a shelter for 3+ years will be completely dead. I suppose one could run outside and scoop some dirt up before the fallout reaches...

Make your skylights have a bend with a mirror to redirect light. Most of the gamma rays will go right through the mirror and not make it around the corner.

I was wondering about that. Being a cold war kid, I remember the home shelters always having a couple of 90 degree turns going in because "radiation can't go around corners"...was trying to find confirmation on that when I saw your post. TY!

"If it were necessary to grow plants in the open during the first year, some plants are more resistant than others to ultraviolet radiation. The best are wheat, soybeans, rye, barley, alfalfa, and corn (all of which are excellent sources of nutrients). Though high levels of ultraviolet light may stunt these plants’ growth somewhat, they’d still produce food."

Getting Food After a Nuclear War - PrepperFortress

Don't know how valid the info is, will need to check it out but the article does raise a good point about between the chance of starving and possibly developing cancer in a couple of decades...

I didn't think corn had any nutritional value. It's just starch. I'd agree with the other plants though. It is not terribly difficult to store 2 or 3 years of rations and some seeds. The plants and animals around chernobyl are doing fine. I even remember a tv show where (i think it was the river monster guy) went fishing in the cooling ponds and the fish looked normal.

Would there really be an issue with UV light (I honestly don't know). I thought the ozone layer and oxygen stopped most of that (even a few inches of air stop the bad stuff). How could a nuke affect that?

Would there really be an issue with UV light (I honestly don't know). I thought the ozone layer and oxygen stopped most of that (even a few inches of air stop the bad stuff). How could a nuke affect that?

Corn is calorie dense at least so, would be good for that.
In the article they talked about some effect that the nuke blast has on the ozone layer, making a temporary hole that would repair itself within a short period of time.

6.9 g of protein

Micronutrients
% Daily Value*
Magnesium
·
93 mg

23%
Vitamin B-6
·
0.4 mg

20%
Iron
·
2.4 mg

13%
Potassium
·
315 mg

9%
Vitamin B-12
·
0 g

0%
Vitamin D
·
0 µg

0%
Calcium
·
7 mg

0%
Vitamin C
·
0 mg

0%
Vitamin A
·
11 µg

0%
Sodium
·
5 mg

0%
Cholesterol
·
0 mg

0%

*Bar represents Percent Daily Values and based on a 2,000 calorie diet with a max representaion of 100%. Your daily values may vary depending on your calorie needs.

I think you may well be able to grow about anything you like . At least with what I have seen of the reels of footage with the Chinese atomic bomb tests. The people’s were out and about within a few days maybe sooner like a army of ants checking out their experimental gardens and whatever else to see how everything fared. And happily feasting upon the gardens in time for afternoon lunch.

an air burst will be an EMP, more likely to fry electrics and electronics than destroy buildings, more people could survive that but whether they could survive afterwards without power and fuel and no deliveries of food is something else.
Bigpaul, I think you are confusing an air blast nuclear bomb with a high altitude nuclear EMP (HEMP). The EMP from an air blast nuclear weapon has a very limited range compared to a HEMP, which is detonated something like 250 miles up (it's in space...there is no air, so it can't be called an "air burst" or "air blast").

Bigpaul, I think you are confusing an air blast nuclear bomb with a high altitude nuclear EMP (HEMP). The EMP from an air blast nuclear weapon has a very limited range compared to a HEMP, which is detonated something like 250 miles up (it's in space...there is no air, so it can't be called an "air burst" or "air blast").
sorry, I thought they were one and the same.

Found this in MIT press

"The upper atmosphere includes a layer enhanced in ozone gas, an unusual form of oxygen that vigorously absorbs the Sun’s ultraviolet radiation. In the absence of this ozone layer, more ultraviolet radiation would reach Earth’s surface, with a variety of harmful effects. A nuclear war would produce huge quantities of ozone-consuming chemicals, and studies suggest that even a modest nuclear exchange would result in unprecedented increases in ultraviolet exposure. Marine life might be damaged by the increased ultraviolet radiation, and humans could receive blistering sunburns. More UV radiation would also lead to a greater incidence of fatal skin cancers and to general weakening of the human immune system."

The Devastating Effects of Nuclear Weapons | The MIT Press Reader

Some of our members reside outside the Nuke target areas . After the Nukes stop a Global Winter is predicted . Which plants would be best for the survivors to grow . I would think plants that would grow under cloudy and cool conditions would be our survival garden plants .

Regarding the effects of a Nuclear Winter
This is some of the latest data of the expected effects.

" Recent studies with modern climate models show that an all-out nuclear war between the United States and Russia, even with today’s reduced arsenals, could put over 150 million tons of smoke and soot into the upper atmosphere. That’s roughly the equivalent of all the garbage the U.S. produces in a year!

The result would be a drop in global temperature of some 8°C (more than the difference between today’s temperature and the depths of the last ice age), and even after a decade the temperature would have recovered only 4°C.

In the world’s “breadbasket” agricultural regions, the temperature could remain below freezing for a year or more, and precipitation would drop by 90 percent. The effect on the world’s food supply would be devastating."

The Devastating Effects of Nuclear Weapons | The MIT Press Reader

sorry, I thought they were one and the same.

Found this with a nice explanation.

1647274945074.png

High Altitude Burst : Detonation above 100,000 feet. Destructive forces do no significantly affect the ground (used to affect EMP/HEMP).

Air Burst: The fireball does not touch the ground. Detonation is below 100,000 feet and results in the greatest radius of structural devastation but, less fall out.

Surface Burst: Detonation occurs at or slightly above the actual surface of the earth. One of the greatest results of the type of burst is the amount of radioactive debris and fallout, and the force of the blast wave.

Sub-surface Burst: Detonation occurs under ground or under water. Depth determines destructive forces on the surface.

The Energy from a Nuclear Weapon (atomicarchive.com)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back