10 Must-Have Items for a Bug Out Bag

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where I live there aren'tmany guns and they are really hard to get. A bow is the most dangerous thing I can legally own.

SHTF man, who cares about "legal"? Get one and bury the damn thing if you have to. ;)

SHTF man, who cares about "legal"? Get one and bury the damn thing if you have to. ;)

You beat me to it, Gazrok, and Tyler, you just think there aren't many guns where you live when SHTF they will be comming out everywhere.

It isn't that I can go and get one, it is 100% illigal for me to get one as I'm not a citizen here. I have a special thing in my passport so I can live here :p I do know where to get them though SHTF but as of now I can't get one. The bow is acctually the most legal thing I can own. Out of the 7 weapons I train with in martial arts, 2 are illegal to those that don't train a martial art. My plan is to lay really low SHTF time and keep way away from everyone wih the bow as a last resort.

Not really possible as I'm not so great with the language. Also if I get caught I can't become a paramedic and that is what I want to do. If I get a criminal record I can't work as a paramedic in Canada (from what I've been told) weighing my options and knowing 2 police officers here and I know where to look I can acquire a gun but I'd rather not out of fear that I can throw away a career before starting it. I'll get guns when I get back to Canada but for now I have my bow. Not like north america where I can just run a course to be able to purchase one.

1) train, train, train and using your kit before it happens will make a huge difference. You'll see what "you" need and what you don't need. Try taking some advanced First aid courses. Join a volunteer fire or rescue group. They will teach you valuable lessons for free! Ask native healers to teach you there old ways.
2) Where I live in a climate zone.. a person may need two bags.. A summer bag and winter bag..
3)water of course...Locate good sources of water in the area..30mile circle.. make maps and use them.
4) Game... Your going to need to eat to keep your spirits up and energy. There's Lots of game and plant sources of food in our area.. No need to carry food. Earth worms are great protein and can be eaten raw. Squirrels are also great and abundant if need be. Ration packs stored in food cashes under ground in sealed containers are also good prepping. A food Cash can be sought after later if need be.
5) I like Camo clothing. I don't like to be seen until I wish too. a light layer and heavier, Clothing. Clothing made of wool or a blanket. Wool even when wet, will keep you warm. A big reason settlers had one heavy wool blanket.
If you get wet in winter...rub your clothing with snow. It will actually dry out your clothing some.
try not to sweat in winter.. If need be.. take some of your heavier clothing off. Walk slowly.. keep dry.
6) We live in a damp & windy area... that green stuff that grows on old trees is actually really awesome tinder to start fire..
7)Use fur tree's to build a bed...Again we live in a damp area.. Keep yourself dry. Bedding is important. A quick leantoo will also keep you semi dry if built correct and position in right direction. No need for tarps. In winter clear away snow from a fire pit.. You don't want that snow melting and putting out your fire.
8) a good tomahawk/hatchet. You can make a lot of hand tools, knifes, etc.
9) First aid kits are great but know your nature and you won't need that first aid kit.
10)No your limits, No your strengths and weakness.. There's no need for pride or bigheads in a survival situations.

I notice a lot of people say "CASH"... why? A couple ounces of gold seems a better choice to me. Paper money when the SHTF happens even in 72 hours deal... I don't think paper money will matter. We'll all be going back to gold standards or other precious metals. Silver, Platinum. etc. Those metals will trade faster then paper money I would imagine.
I.D's .. I won't be carrying any on me and neither will family. I don't want anyone being able to use my family members against me.
Whats a cell phone gonna do?? Christmas of 2013.. We lost power for 10 days here because of an ice storm.
no power, No cell phone, no internet, Didn't even get a radio signal because of the valley I live in.
Thanks to prepping. My neighbors even were taking care off though. Virginia ice house... yup they work to store food
GUN or guns..?? maybe if I store enough ammo....Long rifle or pistol?? why? Not to sound boastful but I've killed a dear with a knife & my hands before. Not recommended or legal but it can be done if the desire and strength is there.
I don't mean to judge or sounds boastful.... just trying to understand peoples reasons. :)

Kinda like I do not have any Tattoo's nor would I get any..... Or visible scares to help identify me.
Be plain, Be normal, Be unseen.

Not to sound boastful but I've killed a dear with a knife & my hands before.

Not from 100 yards you didn't. See the difference? You know what happens to the survivor who brings a knife to a gunfight, right?

I notice a lot of people say "CASH"... why? A couple ounces of gold seems a better choice to me.

In the first days of a SHTF event, no doubt cash will still work for a lot of things (before it is evident there will be permanent collapse). Gold? Are you sure that's a good plan? It's like $1300 per ounce! A couple of ounces? How is that going to be divisible? Are you going to pay $1300 for a can of food? Point is, you won't get the same purchasing power with precious metals EVER post SHTF. And a SHTF event isn't always the apocalypse. For example, a bad storm could have someone using their Get Home Bag, and cash will certainly be useful here. With gold, first, some may not accept it, not knowing if real or fake, and second, they likely won't be able to appraise its value to give you a fair deal.

Long rifle or pistol?? why?

Long rifle for perimeter defense, pistol for close quarters defense. Both have their purpose.

Last edited:
i believe that cash money gold and silver will have value at first.even then,cash money at the top of the list.and for the very reasons gazrok pointed out.but yet,not any one of them will have much value to me if any after tshtf...and here's why.if im set up where im at least set up comfortably for the time being.im gonna want items i can use later on.be it tools,food ,water,clothes,etc etc..now lets say i have some thing you need/want..i'll trade you that said item for what i need/want befoe before i'll give some money..but yet,if i can come out ahead by includeing some money and less item(s)..then yes,i'll go that route.now take seeds for crops.no i wont take any in trade,simply because i dont know if their heirloom seeds or not..and i only want heirloom seeds.so i been stocking up on them..now othau.lets say you gazrok and my self live within 5 miles of each other,if not closer.now lets say you need a packet of corn seeds i have.but yet gazrok has some thing i need while you have something he needs.now we're gonna start doing some bartering. untill each of us has what we need.now i ask.would you rather trade a item you dont need,or cash money or gold after tshtf happens?

that's the beauty of prepping,you get to make your own choises only time will tell if they are correct or not,really hope we don't have to do that,but the possability is,that's why we prep,some of us wanna have guns or more,that's our choice,if they make our life easier what's better than that,beeing here I've learnt alot more than alone and made new friends,friends I respect.
and barter sounds good to me,goods for goods,that's what I already do at my garden patch, last time I did help my neighbour and got a raspberry sapling as thanks

He said,

I don't mean to judge or sounds boastful.... just trying to understand peoples reasons

So, just wanted to provide my reasons... Not saying right or wrong, just wrong for me, and then the reasons why.... Certainly no disrespect intended, just wanted to communicate the reasoning.

yeah the communication is great here..and just like out in every day life.im sure some folks has bit their tounge a time or 2 just to keep from saying some thing that dont be said..LOL..and the ideas that (EVERYONE) comes up with either works for them or not.and same applies to everyone else as well.just because i recharge my flashlight batteries a certain way.dont mean it works for someone else..

right on point my friend,the way I do my things might be wrong in some way,but it works for me and if I get a better idee here,heck why not try it

right now I thinking am I to buy a new or used .22lr

right on point my friend,the way I do my things might be wrong in some way,but it works for me and if I get a better idee here,heck why not try it

right now I thinking am I to buy a new or used .22lr
youll pay almost as much for used right now, stick to new, unless of course you have something to barter.

I've been looking at ruger 10/22,I would love the tactical but with a prizetag for almost 800 euros,well I keep dreaming :) , and propably take the semi-auto 10/22

I've been looking at ruger 10/22,I would love the tactical but with a prizetag for almost 800 euros,well I keep dreaming :) , and propably take the semi-auto 10/22

I would highly recommend getting the Ruger 10/22. You can actually get a drop-in stock kit (got my wife one from Tapco) that essentially turns the 10/22 into a tactical semi-automatic rifle complete with a pistol grip, adjustable stock, and picatinny rails for mounting accessories. Throw on some extended mags and an optic, maybe a light and Presto Chango, you've got a lean mean self-defending machine. My wife's is pink but they also come in black, OD green, and desert tan. There are also other stocks from other brands but from my research, the Tapco Interfuse is the best bang for your buck.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398441915.716221.jpg

Not sure the conversion right now from euros to American dollars but that entire setup cost me about half of what most ARs do, and then you have to accessorize the AR which gets expensive fast. This is definitely a budget survival rifle but I don't doubt it'll get this job done should the need arise.

thanks friend,that looks nice,though my choise would be something else than pink ;) , that's propably something I could order to Finland,found a place that sells those mags here already,even a hunting mag,law says you can only have 2+1 in bullets when huntin here

I would highly recommend getting the Ruger 10/22. You can actually get a drop-in stock kit (got my wife one from Tapco) that essentially turns the 10/22 into a tactical semi-automatic rifle complete with a pistol grip, adjustable stock, and picatinny rails for mounting accessories. Throw on some extended mags and an optic, maybe a light and Presto Chango, you've got a lean mean self-defending machine. My wife's is pink but they also come in black, OD green, and desert tan. There are also other stocks from other brands but from my research, the Tapco Interfuse is the best bang for your buck.
View attachment 2375
Not sure the conversion right now from euros to American dollars but that entire setup cost me about half of what most ARs do, and then you have to accessorize the AR which gets expensive fast. This is definitely a budget survival rifle but I don't doubt it'll get this job done should the need arise.

Have you had problems with the Ruger Mags? I've got a 10/22 for my daughter, more to teach her to fire, she doesn't like the recoil on the M-4, but when I run some of the competition rounds, they jam a few times, I don't even use the cheaper mags that I use on my old 22, because they just don't feed the Ruger quite well. Like your insight or your wife's if she's fired it a few times. My daughter is like my wife, she doesn't like weapons...which is funny because my wife's family all have weapons to include sister in law who is nationally ranked blackpowder muzzle loader competitor.

On another note, Shadow..noted the Dr. Pepper...great drink....any ideas of building a production plant when the SHTF...I can't survive without my 10'oclock shot and the guys at Nattick Laboratories have not perfected the MRE Soda yet...:(

mre dr pepper,mmmmmm :)

did a quick check on tapcos page,prize is right for a kit :D

Back