Zucchini and Squash

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
great find :_...i aint much on eating them..but yet there's plenty of good info there all the same

I actually do plan to raw pack and pressure can mixed zucchini and yellow squash because I like the two of them boiled together and smothered with butter. I think I will also pressure can shredded zucchini for bread because I just don't have enough room in my freezer for everything. I can't find instructions for pressure canning 1/2 pint jars, though. Does anyone else pressure can with half pint jars?

Pretty much same as above but I don't do yellow squash. Not on a bet. Nasty veggie!

Pretty much same as above but I don't do yellow squash. Not on a bet. Nasty veggie!
Maybe you wouldn't mind it so much if you planted it next to zucchini - they crossbreed since they are from the same family. You get yellow squash with green stripes. They do have a different texture to the "meat"- especially if it's over-cooked. My mom always sliced the yellow squash, coated it in a thin pancake batter like mix, then fried it quickly so it wouldn't get soggy inside.

You can do 1/2 pints 25 minutes. Normally I remove the seeds first, but that is just me. It tends to can up better and not mushy

You can do 1/2 pints 25 minutes. Normally I remove the seeds first, but that is just me. It tends to can up better and not mushy
I remember you saying that you remove the seeds in another thread and I'm definitely going to try it that way. That just leaves way too many seeds to plant next year so I guess the chickens will enjoy them instead.

I remember you saying that you remove the seeds in another thread and I'm definitely going to try it that way. That just leaves way too many seeds to plant next year so I guess the chickens will enjoy them instead.
You can always roast up like you would pumpkin seeds. Makes a great healthy snack

You can always roast up like you would pumpkin seeds. Makes a great healthy snack
I don't eat pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds either. That's way too much like work. The chickens need to eat too. Nothing is a waste if it feeds one of my animals. I carry a bowl of scraps out of my house at least once a day and no matter where they are, they know I have something in my hand and come running.

Well, from a culinary perspective, both zucchini, squash and eggplant are all bland and they absorb what they are cooked in so they are best with a very spicy or flavorful dish and used as a filler veggie. Veggie soups, stir-frys, Italian Wedding Soups, minestrones, curries, etc...
Any zucchini I get I usually shred and save for my zucchini-apple cinnamon nut bread. Gooood eats!

Latest posts

Back