Zombie Apocalypse

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alabaster

1st Member Of DPF
Reaction score
I have been razzed over and over about prepping for the "Zombies". Like it's real or something. Make no mistake, I DO NOT BELIEVE IN ZOMBIES. I do enjoy the craze, but it's all just good fun. There is another point to it all though.

I look at the zombie thing as a true "Worst case scenario". We all know the zombies are not coming. We don't know who is though. Will it be the govt? Will it be local gangs and bandits looking for food? Will it not even be a DD situation? Will it be a rapist sneaking into your home while you're at work only to surprise you with your own gun? Will it be a carjacker in the rich folks neighborhood that you never thought would happen?

The skinny of it is that I think of "The zombies coming" as a way of thinking, "You'd better be prepared." You never know what's coming and you'll never be able to prep for everything, but planning for ONE SCENARIO is obviously a poor idea and not in keeping with true DDPing. While living on a fault line obviously increases your likely hood of an earthquake, you can't rule out civil unrest or random acts of violence. We never in a million years would have thought we'd see a hurricane bust up the mid-atlantic and northeast, then here comes Sandy.

Anyways, that's a not-so-short explanation for what I mean when talking about zombies. Not real zombies, but anyone or anything that could wreck your day. Not including DC Metro traffic.:tank:

Prepping for a zombie outbreak is essentially preparing for a viral pandemic, so it's all good and sound. and seriously, what disasters is more "interesting" than a zombie outbreak? haha and the only prepper group i known in my area is actually geared towards prepping for a zombie outbreak , part fun, part prepping.... haha

and we never know when a mad scientist release some toxin or that some rabies strain evolve to some deadly strains that can "reanimate" the dead...

I have been razzed over and over about prepping for the "Zombies". Like it's real or something. Make no mistake, I DO NOT BELIEVE IN ZOMBIES. I do enjoy the craze, but it's all just good fun. There is another point to it all though.

I look at the zombie thing as a true "Worst case scenario". We all know the zombies are not coming. We don't know who is though. Will it be the govt? Will it be local gangs and bandits looking for food? Will it not even be a DD situation? Will it be a rapist sneaking into your home while you're at work only to surprise you with your own gun? Will it be a carjacker in the rich folks neighborhood that you never thought would happen?

The skinny of it is that I think of "The zombies coming" as a way of thinking, "You'd better be prepared." You never know what's coming and you'll never be able to prep for everything, but planning for ONE SCENARIO is obviously a poor idea and not in keeping with true DDPing. While living on a fault line obviously increases your likely hood of an earthquake, you can't rule out civil unrest or random acts of violence. We never in a million years would have thought we'd see a hurricane bust up the mid-atlantic and northeast, then here comes Sandy.

Anyways, that's a not-so-short explanation for what I mean when talking about zombies. Not real zombies, but anyone or anything that could wreck your day. Not including DC Metro traffic.:tank:

Very sound advice! Great thread!
By the way..... I have you beat out here with the Los Angeles, ca traffic!

Haven't you heard? Zombies are real!

http://rt.com/usa/news/drug-bath-salt-zombie-321/

Bath salts are still legal in much of the United States, but a string of recent episodes where Americans believed to be under the influence of the narcotic engaged in zombie-like behavior has brought the drug to the forefront of the public’s attention.
"Bath salts can cause psychosis, agitation and paranoia. They can basically turn a person into a wild beast. I have treated bath salt users in the emergency department who have extreme paranoia and super human strength to the point that they can break through handcuffs," Dr. Daniel Bober, a psychiatrist, tells Miami’s KPLC News. And distributors, he says, are able to continuously find markets for the drug because it is easy to make, cheap to sell and easy to deter law enforcement....

In early 2011, newspapers in small towns such as Cranford, New Jersey and Easton, Pennsylvania were reporting that users were snorting, smoking or injecting bath salts to get high, only to be transformed into an uncontrollable psychotic state. Last March the mother of William J. Parisio told the Star-Ledger that her son was believed to be under the influence of bath salts when he was charged with the murder of his girlfriend; a PA couple made repeated 911 calls for help in catching a nonexistent criminal a month later after experiencing severe hallucinations, Lehigh Valley’s The Morning Call reports; elsewhere, the use of bath salts was linked to an incident where a man slayed a goat while wearing woman’s underwear.
Last month, however, the now infamous encounter between a homeless man and a suspected bath salt user reignited discussion of the drug. On May 26, a 31-year-old man stripped a homeless person naked under a highway overpass and attempted to eat his victim’s face for minutes until police shot the suspect dead — but not before he devoured three-fourths of his fleshy feast. Officers investigating the Miami, Florida incident say that they believe bath salt use could have played a role, and less than a month after that episode, similar accounts have been reported: police say that, across the US, there have been no fewer than three incidents since late May where persons high on bath salts tried to literally eat other humans.

ChickenLittle, that is some scary shit there my friend. There for a little while there were people trying to eat other people around the globe. Makes you wonder since the 'illness' just popped up out of nowhere and then just disappeared. Makes me want to know who is hiding what.

We use the phrase for a few different reasons....

1) It makes a serious subject (prepping) a bit more light-hearted
2) Prepping for zombies pretty much covers all other scenarios!
3) For some reason, it's more socially acceptable if your preps are for zombies (some weird pop culture thing I guess, with the popularity of zombies lately)

Don't forget to stock up on Zombie ammo...:)

Untitled.png

When I first saw that advertised, I thought it was a joke. It's not! I bought some.

It's all ballistic tipped, right? Seen it on the shelves but to be honest I'm not sure what makes it different from other defense ammo. I think the green must be some sort of ballistic tip for better/more reliable expansion. Honestly, it seems like for zombies you'd want as much of as cheap an as you could get (basically, FMJ) since we're talking about shots to the dome anyways. Expansion seems like a moot point if you're putting a round in the brainpan.

But yes, if any friendly or curious store clerk asks about our machete, tomahawk, whatever, we say we're getting ready for the zombies. There's usually a little chuckle and then that's the end of it. No discussions, no debates.

It's all ballistic tipped, right? Seen it on the shelves but to be honest I'm not sure what makes it different from other defense ammo. I think the green must be some sort of ballistic tip for better/more reliable expansion.
It is basically their Critical Defense ammo with a green tip instead of red, and slightly less powerful.

45 ACP, 185 grain ZMax: 900 fps
45 ACP, 185 grain Critical Defense: 1000 fps.

Interesting. I have Hornady Custom in 9mm in my BoB but never looked at Critical due to the cost difference.

I know this is an old thread,but hypothetically if they would come, would they be the slow walkers of walking dead or those fast ones from wwz?? what's your guess?? ;)

this thread did pop-up in my mind as it's disaster night on my tv here,zombies and evil computers...

Last edited:
According to experts, the reason we are so fascinated with zombies and The Walking Dead is because we are so depressed about the state of our society and feel helpless to change it.
Yep, that's my reason.

Maybe that's why they don't want guns in the store....too tempting.... :D

What's interesting about a zombie apocalypse? I have an opinion based entirely on a lovely night spent around a campfire all by myself. It gives us a reason to kill people and not suffer the guilt of it. They are no longer human, or they are already dead. Sure, most of us wouldn't actually kill unless we felt threatened, but with zombies, its carte blanc.

Zombies are unlikely but not impossible. A disease can attack the human brain and cause zombie like symptoms. The king is Rabies! I know of a modified version of it that goes active in hours of exposure instead of weeks. The labs use it saying they are going to use it as part of a cure for HIV. In one version they need part of the cure to be delivered to the spine and brain. Also they are experimenting with putting part of the HIV virus in the rabies virus to increase the bodies chance of fighting.

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/1667_11688.shtml

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/667971.stm

A friend of mine works in a lab and told me he's currently disposing of a version of Rabies that goes active in minutes. They modified it because waiting for weeks or hours isn't cost efficient. They created a version that takes you over in minutes or seconds This is the Zombie apocalypse for real people. It can happen...

Latest posts

Back