Zeer pot

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent S

Top Poster
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone else has made a zeer pot for emergency refrigeration? I read an article on it and the principal is pretty simple, and seems to be effective for down to 50deg cooling. I was wondering if anyone made a larger, more functional design, like with a door for easier access. I'll play with it and post what I come up with.

looks interesting,but having this winter thing here,would need it only for a short summer,but still...maybe when I get out of this town..

I did some reading on it and it seems bigger is not always better. Due to the surface area and volume ratio it seems it would be better to have two or more small ones than one large one. One study found in the right conditions, shady, dry and windy, it got down to 40deg. 50 is what can be normally expected, but even that is amazing with no moving parts or electricity. I think using a metal pot for the inner one is probably more efficent and sanitary. If anyone can download a link with pictures here it would be appreciated as I am technologically challenged with this iPad. :). I'll post a pict once I put one together.

try this one; www.practicalaction.org/ zeerpot fridge
there might be other useful things there too[/
That's seems to be a pretty good organization. I always thought I should be working to help others somehow. It's amazing how many people don't have access to safe drinkable water. With my medical and construction background I'd like to put it to some good use. I helped renovate an old building for a soup kitchen last year and was involved in a vegetable garden at a local elementary school, but I think drilling wells for remote villages may be in the future somewhere. It would be cool to work for someone like the gates foundation. They do amazing stuff all over the world. I thing it's wise to get your own affairs in order (like being prepped), and then helping others where you can.

yup,no idea running around helping others it your own stuff isn't organized and in good conditions. You have a good base camp to return to, gives you the motivation to do your other stuff good also

My times in South America and Africa I have seen many good organizations (outside governments and NGOs) come up with some brilliant ideas of bringing water to the inner interior of a certain regions and make water safe for the masses in other regions just to be hit with bureaucratic BS but in large it has always been political instability that doomed much of the needed projects. We have many environmental NGOs pitted against aid organizations, we have many brilliant minds in these aid org's that have had their technological advancement shelved.

I love the idea of the Zeer pot though in my area it would get limited use.

Interesting solution post SHTF....

Although I still wish I had a nice cold spring on the property instead, hehe.
Used those all the time when camping, as our natural fridge. (kept the beer cold, just put it in a netted bag)

Interesting solution post SHTF....

Although I still wish I had a nice cold spring on the property instead, hehe.
Used those all the time when camping, as our natural fridge. (kept the beer cold, just put it in a netted bag)
i think the creeks on my property stay at about 60deg in the summer so thats a good option too. Here in the states it's just too easy to plug in for any other technology to take off. I like playing with these ideas though, just in case!

My times in South America and Africa I have seen many good organizations (outside governments and NGOs) come up with some brilliant ideas of bringing water to the inner interior of a certain regions and make water safe for the masses in other regions just to be hit with bureaucratic BS but in large it has always been political instability that doomed much of the needed projects. We have many environmental NGOs pitted against aid organizations, we have many brilliant minds in these aid org's that have had their technological advancement shelved.

I love the idea of the Zeer pot though in my area it would get limited use.
I've heard of many places where someone with a gun would just come up and start charging for the community water/well that was put in. Theres always some asshole in the world that wants to steal from everyone. If you get rid of him, ten others line up to take their place. I think the zeer pot is a good idea to keep in the back of your mind.

Not everything in the fridge needs such a cool temp either, there are some things that would likely keep fine with such pots.

Not everything in the fridge needs such a cool temp either, there are some things that would likely keep fine with such pots.
That's right, I would likely have three or more in an extended power loss. Keeping veggies fresh in one, meats for at least a few days, and mayby milk and cheeses in another. I really liked one that had a stainless steel pot with a lid for the center pot. It conducts cold really well, and would clean easily. They thru a damp cloth over the glass lid to help with cooling and insulation as well.

Latest posts

Back