Your Preps Library

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have my older Neonatal Resusuitation Program course materials (formerly NALS), BTLS, and PHTLS books.

I'm not sure how useful the material will be in a truly austere situation, but I have room, so I saved them just in case.
I had taken NRP way back in the day. I'd rather have someone else do it. I'm so out of practice on babies I would probably totally overinflate the lungs or something. Yikes

I ordered this book last year and ordered seeds for the herbs. Was going to plant them around the garden this year, but didn't do it once we decided to move.
It's a great book on medicinal herbs for beginners.

https://www.amazon.com/Rosemary-Gla...5b0e3&pd_rd_wg=hFj1o&pd_rd_i=1612120059&psc=1
One thing that may be of interest: I seem to remember--years ago--that dried foxglove leaves (Digitalis purpurea) was actually included in a PDR, but I may have been mistaken.

I can't imagine why dried foxglove leaves would be included when a physician can just perscribe Lanoxin (and have a more precise dose of a potentially dangerous medication), but I still think I remember reading it . . . or am I wrong?

One thing that may be of interest: I seem to remember--years ago--that dried foxglove leaves (Digitalis purpurea) was actually included in a PDR, but I may have been mistaken.

I can't imagine why dried foxglove leaves would be included when a physician can just perscribe Lanoxin (and have a more precise dose of a potentially dangerous medication), but I still think I remember reading it . . . or am I wrong?
I don't know if it was in the PDR, and I'm with you.
But we are going to grow it, just in case one of us goes into uncontrolled afib and the hospitals are kaput. LOL

I don't know if it was in the PDR, and I'm with you.
But we are going to grow it, just in case one of us goes into uncontrolled afib and the hospitals are kaput. LOL
I would imagine purple foxglove for digitalis, belladonna for atropine, hyoscyamine, and scopolamine, and mullein (Verbascum thapsis) for multiple uses like bronchial congestion, asthma, and toilet paper.

I might also try to cultivate garlic, American ginseng, hot peppers, and wormwood (Artemisia absinthum). Marigolds are good for natural pyrethrins. I once watched someone use a cold-pressed marigold tea to kill all of the ticks on a tick-infested dog, so I'm sure marigolds would be good for lice. I also think Jewelweed is important, as it's good for poison oak and poison ivy. Willow is also good for the aspirin from a tea made from the bark.

I would also include marijuana . . . for obvious medicinal reasons.

I haven't researched it, but I think growing physillium (the active ingredient in Metamucil) would also be helpful, but I don't know if it growns in my climate.

Do you live in a temperate climate? And have you researched which plants grow in your area? You might not need to cultivate a lot of them, as many can just be harvested on a nice walk.

Last edited:
One thing I haven't researched is how to grow tobacco. I imagine that the nicotine extracted from tobacco could be quite useful as an insecticide to prevent diseases spread by lice and ticks. I have seen people carry chewing tobacco on hikes for the purpose of killing leeches, and it works very well . . . although I've also heard that this is a bad practice, as the leech can vomit if it's poisoned with nicotine while it's mouthparts are still imbedded in the skin, which can--theoretically--create a greater disease risk if it's gut contents get injected into you.

I still have to research this.

There is one natural remedy that I want very much to make--and would be very life-saving--but haven't found a way to make it. In ancient Africa two thousand years ago, the natives were actually using tetracycline!

https://ancient-tides.blogspot.com/2010/09/tetracycline-found-in-ancient-nubian.html
The characteristic discoloration of the teeth from the inappropriate use of tetracycline was found in mummies, and confirmed in several peer-reviewed journals.

The archeologist whom discovered the tetracycline discoloration said it was like " . . . opening up a two thousand year old sarcophogus, and finding that the mummy is wearing Ray-Ban sunglasses . . . "

So, my point is if the ancient Nubians could make huge amounts of tetracycline with stone age technology, then there has to be a way to do it under the austere conditions after SHTF . . . I just haven't figured out how to do it.

Tetracycline is naturally produced by Streptomyces bacteria. They think the tetracycline was from the beer the Nubians drank.
I read something along those lines as well.

I would just like to get info on how to actually do it, as I imagine if it was brewed up incorrectly, then a horrible case of food poisoning could happen.

I remember that someone wrote that the beer was possibly placed in earthenware pottery and buried underground, and then someone else said this wasn't true.

So I don't know.

It would be interesting to get a special, specific procedure for it, as tetracycline helps a lot of different infections . . . although one must ask if the ancient Nubians also had problems with "beer resistance" to certian diseases.

Beer resistance lol
We are moving soon, and I have walked the property but its mostly in a forested area with 4 seasons. We are building a greenhouse. I live about 120 miles south of where the new property is, and this is a much better climate for growing, I just can't stand living here anymore, you can't find property and job wise - its one of the lowest paying areas in my state while the cost of living keeps escalating.

Beer resistance lol
We are moving soon, and I have walked the property but its mostly in a forested area with 4 seasons. We are building a greenhouse. I live about 120 miles south of where the new property is, and this is a much better climate for growing, I just can't stand living here anymore, you can't find property and job wise - its one of the lowest paying areas in my state while the cost of living keeps escalating.
I hear you on all counts. It seems that inflation has been outstripping earnings, and this is true in my area as well.

Building a greenhouse is a great idea, as I can imagine growing all kinds of medicinal plants. Even if you live in an area with four seasons, you could probably manage aloe vera with a greenhouse, as well as soapwort.

Will you be able to establish a good practice there, or will you be working in a clinic or hospital . . . or, perhaps both?

I hear you on all counts. It seems that inflation has been outstripping earnings, and this is true in my area as well.

Building a greenhouse is a great idea, as I can imagine growing all kinds of medicinal plants. Even if you live in an area with four seasons, you could probably manage aloe vera with a greenhouse, as well as soapwort.

Will you be able to establish a good practice there, or will you be working in a clinic or hospital . . . or, perhaps both?

Hospital- I can’t stomach clinic😂
For ICU I have to work in a bigger facility anyway, the smaller hospitals don’t usually have Intensivist teams.
Already started working there and commuting so I’m staying in my RV while on call. Have a great 6 day on 8 day off schedule.
I have a large aloe Vera plant now in the house that’s done well- I hope I can continue it on!!

Hospital- I can’t stomach clinic😂
For ICU I have to work in a bigger facility anyway, the smaller hospitals don’t usually have Intensivist teams.
Already started working there and commuting so I’m staying in my RV while on call. Have a great 6 day on 8 day off schedule.
I have a large aloe Vera plant now in the house that’s done well- I hope I can continue it on!!
I've always liked rotational jobs. For years the wife and I worked 6 months on 6 months off, with a few 9 to 15 months on and 3 months off. When we got jobs in the states we worked 3 weeks on 3 weeks off. The wife just resigned her job of 15 years (over covid mandates) and retired. Its good having her home all the time now.

I've always liked rotational jobs. For years the wife and I worked 6 months on 6 months off, with a few 9 to 15 months on and 3 months off. When we got jobs in the states we worked 3 weeks on 3 weeks off. The wife just resigned her job of 15 years (over covid mandates) and retired. Its good having her home all the time now.
That sounds great!
My hubs is retiring once we sell our place here and move up to the land.
I wish I could! Haha.
Hoping maybe I can do legal consulting from home. Would love to get out of the daily hospital grind.
I bet you are enjoying having her home. I love when we are both home it’s a lot of fun.

That sounds great!
My hubs is retiring once we sell our place here and move up to the land.
I wish I could! Haha.
Hoping maybe I can do legal consulting from home. Would love to get out of the daily hospital grind.
I bet you are enjoying having her home. I love when we are both home it’s a lot of fun.
Yeah we spent a lot of time apart over the years. She stayed home while I was in Afghanistan, Russia, central Asia, middle east, Africa etc.
Are you going to raise livestock on your new property? I'm starting to look for a draft team and a couple saddle horses.

Last edited:
Yeah we spent a lot of time apart over the years. She stayed home while I was in Afghanistan, Russia, central Asia, middle east, Africa etc.
Are you going to raise livestock on your new property? I'm starting to look for a draft team and a couple saddle horses.
I'm not sure about raising livestock. We have chickens, 2 dogs and 1 cat. I grew up in the city, so even that is a lot for me. I wouldn't know how to take care of horses at this point, I think I will need to ease into it.
I would like to get a couple of goats. Our neighbor has a cattle ranch, so I think if push came to shove - some bartering could be done there. I want to stock the pond with trout so we could fish if we needed to.

Where in Africa did you go? I was in Botswana (village about 2 hours outside Gabarone) - volunteered at a clinic there and delivered babies as a student. One of the best times in my life. The people there were so sweet.

I'm not sure about raising livestock. We have chickens, 2 dogs and 1 cat. I grew up in the city, so even that is a lot for me. I wouldn't know how to take care of horses at this point, I think I will need to ease into it.
I would like to get a couple of goats. Our neighbor has a cattle ranch, so I think if push came to shove - some bartering could be done there. I want to stock the pond with trout so we could fish if we needed to.

Where in Africa did you go? I was in Botswana (village about 2 hours outside Gabarone) - volunteered at a clinic there and delivered babies as a student. One of the best times in my life. The people there were so sweet.
As far as livestock, consider getting Ragnar Benson's "City and Suburban Survival." It was published in 1983, but the material is still mostly relevant.

He discusses the pros and cons of keeping ducks, goats, and so forth. He also mentions how small ponds can be stocked with fish, and the ins and outs of different kinds of crops.

My favorite part of his advice is how he deconstructs certain misconceptions and stereotypes . . . like how people stock seeds and fertilizers, but fail to stock pesticides, and how crop yields can suffer to the point of causing starvation because of irrational prejudice against the appropriate and conservative use of pesticides.

1631563812278.png

He also mentions the details about how to set up a slow speed diesel generator, which is preferred over other kinds, as they can last for 25 years of frequent use. Diesel fuel is also easier and safer to store than gasoline, and diesel lasts longer in storage. I'll add that there are kerosene refrigerators that can function perfectly fine with diesel fuel, and the Chinese tallow tree (Triadica sebifera) is an invasive pest that makes up a huge number of trees in the South and Midwest can be tapped for a biodiesel fuel that will work perfectly fine in a diesel generator, car, or kerosene fridge.

One tree can yield up to 120 gallons of fuel per year, and there are whole forests of them here in the States (they make up about 60% of all trees around Houston Texas, for example).

With your medical education . . . an understanding of the basic chemistry of extracting this fuel in a cheap, time-and-cost effective way would be trivial.

As far as livestock, consider getting Ragnar Benson's "City and Suburban Survival." It was published in 1983, but the material is still mostly relevant.

He discusses the pros and cons of keeping ducks, goats, and so forth. He also mentions how small ponds can be stocked with fish, and the ins and outs of different kinds of crops.

My favorite part of his advice is how he deconstructs certain misconceptions and stereotypes . . . like how people stock seeds and fertilizers, but fail to stock pesticides, and how crop yields can suffer to the point of causing starvation because of irrational prejudice against the appropriate and conservative use of pesticides.

View attachment 13557

He also mentions the details about how to set up a slow speed diesel generator, which is preferred over other kinds, as they can last for 25 years of frequent use. Diesel fuel is also easier and safer to store than gasoline, and diesel lasts longer in storage. I'll add that there are kerosene refrigerators that can function perfectly fine with diesel fuel, and the Chinese tallow tree (Triadica sebifera) is an invasive pest that makes up a huge number of trees in the South and Midwest can be tapped for a biodiesel fuel that will work perfectly fine in a diesel generator, car, or kerosene fridge.

One tree can yield up to 120 gallons of fuel per year, and there are whole forests of them here in the States (they make up about 60% of all trees around Houston Texas, for example).

With your medical education . . . an understanding of the basic chemistry of extracting this fuel in a cheap, time-and-cost effective way would be trivial.
Thank you! I will definitely get this book! Much appreciated

Thank you! I will definitely get this book! Much appreciated
I forgot to add that free pdf versions are available online, so you can download a free version and see if it's helpful to you . . . and if so, then spend the money to get a paper copy. If the book is useless to you, then no harm-no foul.

I've thought about goats, but figured the coyotes, wolves, bears and mountain lions would haul them off faster than I could stock them.
We have a pond here, about a half mile from the house, that I planted blue gill, catfish and trout. I dont think the trout survived though. We see fish jumping all the time so something survived.
We do some trading around here now. I recently traded a beef for firewood.
In Africa I was in Liberia, Tunisia, Morocco, Sierra Leone and the Sahara. Some beautiful country in places.

Latest posts

Back