Your Preps Library

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The trick to building a library is don't try to do it in a week. Buy a book here and there and pretty soon, its taking over your house. I have 2600 sq feet, 4 bedrooms and garage and my library has worked its way through all 4 bedrooms, down my hallway and into living room and dining room. BTW, women like a guy who reads more than watches TV, a hint to the single guys out there, smart women are hot

The trick to building a library is don't try to do it in a week. Buy a book here and there and pretty soon, its taking over your house. I have 2600 sq feet, 4 bedrooms and garage and my library has worked its way through all 4 bedrooms, down my hallway and into living room and dining room. BTW, women like a guy who reads more than watches TV, a hint to the single guys out there, smart women are hot

Lisa being a mineralogist with the USGS and WSU (dealing with earthquakes) has an very extensive library on the subjects. My library is more for the kids and grand kids primarily dealing with the old ways of Woodcraft (Bushcraft), the grand kids do most of the reading here be it the books I purchase or even the Wife's far more technical books. Very true, don't try to establish a library in one week!

I expand my library at yards sales, you can usualy get non fiction books for nothing as the education level in America today only allows the best seller list written for 8th grade level. I got an entire machinists library and tools for pennies over what it was worth, basically paid me to haul it away. Today, not really usefull to me but the skills will be important later. Tinkerers and preppers need to be looking in retired peoples areas for sales, I got 3 radios, 2 antennas and a giant TV sized box of parts and cables for $100.

Information will always be more useful than gear if your brain can keep up

A couple of book's that I read as a young boy that inspired me at an early age to prep and be self-sufficient was My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George and Rascal by Sterling North. These two kids books had a big impact on me at an early age that I think helped define who I am today. I highly recommend both books to any young boy to read.
Another important book that l got as a pre teen was Wildwood Wisdom. Which I passed down to my son and he just passed on to his son.

A couple of book's that I read as a young boy that inspired me at an early age to prep and be self-sufficient was My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George and Rascal by Sterling North. These two kids books had a big impact on me at an early age that I think helped define who I am today. I highly recommend both books to any young boy to read.
Another important book that l got as a pre teen was Wildwood Wisdom. Which I passed down to my son and he just passed on to his son.

I have Wildwood Wisdom and it is a very good book, I'll put the two books you mentioned on my wants list :)

Added:
+the practical camp cook

This book covers a lot of topics not just cooking. It goes from building fires to trapping to skinning to foraging to cooking it all to equipment, it includes recipes with pictures throughout the book. It's an 30yr old book I say is a must have for the library. I found this in the stables office though don't remember ever purchasing it... age I'm thinking.

I got a few new books last week to add to my collection:

Build a Smokehouse by A Story Wisdom Bulletin

Meat Smoking and Smokehouse Design by Stanley, Adam and Robert Marianski

Making Cheese, Butter & Yogurt by A Story Wisdom Bulletin

Foraging the Rocky Mountains by Liz Brown Morgan

The Complete Book of Tanning Skins and Furs by James Churchill

The Backyard Tanner by Mike Culbertson

A Guide to Canning, Freezing, Curing & Smoking Meat, Fish & Game by Wilbur F. Eastman Jr.

And for entertainment purposes Volume IV of The Adventures of Lew and Charlie by Maurice Decker bought through Fur-Fish-Game magazine (been a subscriber for close to 45 years)

I got a few new books last week to add to my collection:

Build a Smokehouse by A Story Wisdom Bulletin

Meat Smoking and Smokehouse Design by Stanley, Adam and Robert Marianski

Making Cheese, Butter & Yogurt by A Story Wisdom Bulletin

Foraging the Rocky Mountains by Liz Brown Morgan

The Complete Book of Tanning Skins and Furs by James Churchill

The Backyard Tanner by Mike Culbertson

A Guide to Canning, Freezing, Curing & Smoking Meat, Fish & Game by Wilbur F. Eastman Jr.

And for entertainment purposes Volume IV of The Adventures of Lew and Charlie by Maurice Decker bought through Fur-Fish-Game magazine (been a subscriber for close to 45 years)

I like the storey country wisdom bulletin series, they short and to the point, i'll have to get the 'Making Cheese, Butter & Yogurt' and 'The Backyard Tanner'

I like the storey country wisdom bulletin series, they short and to the point, i'll have to get the 'Making Cheese, Butter & Yogurt' and 'The Backyard Tanner'
Same here. They have several more Bulletins that I plan on getting. This spring my top building project, besides the house and shop and chicken coop, is going to be a 16x20 tanning/fur shed.

Latest posts

Back