Your Food Storage Equation...

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TuckerDane

Reaction score
There's a lot of conflicting information out there about what's better to stock up on. Freeze dried food storage (buckets, kits, MRE, etc) or just non perishable foods.

What are you stocking? Is there a company you prefer? Are you doing a combination of non perishable and freeze dried?

Interested in seeing your ideas.

I have mostly home canned, store bought canned, dried beans and riced, pasta, powdered milk, home freezer stuff. The only freeze dried I have is coffee, strawberries, butter and eggs. The freeze dried food is expensive so that is why it is limited in my home store and pantry.

I have a combination of mainly non perishable items both from the store and garden along with home canned and dehydrated foods. Recently I was able to get a freeze drier since I do garden pretty much year round so it made it a good investment for us. Things that I can't grow or don't have enough room to grow the amount we need is what we buy, like flour, sugar, baking supplies etc. When starting out your food storage, take a look at what you eat now. Those that are long term or semi long term is what you need to buy a little extra when you go to the store. Learn how to cook from scratch if you don't already. It's way cheaper and most basic items have a descent storage life when done correctly.

That was my thinking too although I haven't stocked any freeze dried company stuff yet. Which brands you like best?
Mountain house seems to have the best pricing on average. I check Walmart and amazon periodically and buy stuff that’s on sale regardless of brand if it fits what I want to store.

My two top freeze dried brands are Mountain House and Daily Bread.
Daily bread is one I haven’t seen yet. I will compare them for price and variety. I did buy a can of chili, broccoli, cauliflower, apricots and 2 cans of potatoes last night online. They were all Augustan Farm, and the main reason was a sale price on amazon, and this thread reminded me! I mostly have gotten premodern main meals in freezedrieds so far but figure some variety would be smart.
I just saw some of the cans I just ordered were from Saratoga farms. There’s a lot of companies to choose from. I mostly watch for sales vs loyalty to a specific brand.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what to do to store freeze dried snack bags of fruit? The best buy date is 113019 but I thought freeze dried was supposed to last for years. It is in little bags, silver lined( I assume mylar type bags). Should I just keep sealed and store in a dry climate controlled place? Should I repackage? I bought some from a store going out of business, I can get more if I was sure I could store for a long time.

Does anyone know what to do to store freeze dried snack bags of fruit? The best buy date is 113019 but I thought freeze dried was supposed to last for years. It is in little bags, silver lined( I assume mylar type bags). Should I just keep sealed and store in a dry climate controlled place? Should I repackage? I bought some from a store going out of business, I can get more if I was sure I could store for a long time.

frig or the coolest place in the house, it will be fine past the date, I've eaten freeze dried fruit 8 years past the date, as long as the sun, moisture and air don't get to the content it will last for years, I store mine at roughly 65~70deg at around 40~45 humidity

frig or the coolest place in the house, it will be fine past the date, I've eaten freeze dried fruit 8 years past the date, as long as the sun, moisture and air don't get to the content it will last for years, I store mine at roughly 65~70deg at around 40~45 humidity
So I am guessing I could keep it for 3 years. so I will get more. It was only 75 cents per package, on ebay it is a lot more than that. They are the "So Natural" brand. 0.71 oz size.

IMG_3457.JPG

I would leave them in th original packaging and just keep them stored in a cool dark place.

Latest posts

Back