Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What Fighting style do you favor?

• Total voters
I’ve worked with Fred. He’s talented but, in my opinion he hurts people unnecessarily in order to impress them. His style is a Kali/Silat, Savate hybrid. Most of what you see is Kali Silat. He’s tough and training with him is good if your young and don’t mind a shattered ear drum or six while being his student or demo dummy. 👍🏻

I trained extensively in Tae Kwon Do with some of the best. It has been a while ago, but I think enough is engrained into the muscle memory. Old age and diminished physical skills make me want to bring friends to the fight: Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson or Mr. Sig and Mr. Sauer. I don't leave home without them.

Unfortunately the reality of drawing your gun in a self defense manner is becoming a huge risk and liability. If it’s not truly a deadly encounter with actual weapons involved more than likely if you draw down your going to jail. Most of our protection experts end up doing at least 3 or 4 days in jail before finally having charges dropped or they have to make bail because the city or county is moving forward with brandishing charges of one form or another. If you don’t have hand to hand skills than I suggest getting good with OC. We recently tested POM spray and are now recommending it to our protection details. They sell one with a clip similar to a pocket knife.

Last edited:
MMA and Karate for me. When I fight I try to match myself up with height with person or people I'm fighting. I'm fast and can easily take people down very quickly. But I'm not scared to take hits so I will some times rush them and would just start going to town on their face

That's my preferred hand fighting style. Your still using your hands ;)
I studied karate for a few years and one day the instructor made the point that if you are ever confronted by an assailant with a knife, the best thing to do is run. So I bought a big knife and began practicing concealing it in my pants. I quit karate not long after. They don't tell you the fact up front but when you complete the grading to black belt you immediately go on the police registry as such. No thanks.

Is that an Australian thing cause that rumor has been around since the 60s and I can say here in the states its BS, also I’ve looked all over Australian sites and can’t find any such law or mention of it. However, if you are stupid enough to walk into a police station and say that you need to “register your hands as a deadly weapon” I’m sure they’d be happy to start a file on your dumb self and use it to later convict you of some sort of aggravated assault because you bragged to a cop how “deadly” you are. Lol. Smh

https://nationalblackbeltregister.com/introductionhttps://drive.google.com/file/d/10HjH_ohMKlsC2xOupghBJ3-0uUvzCGfM/viewhttps://www.natcma.org/ncma-black-belt-registryhttps://ibjjf.com/certified-black-belts
There are many registers worldwide, the police don't have a publicly accessed one I'm sure, but they would be stupid not to collate this data into their files. Everyone has a file and everything of interest goes into it for the day of your questioning or arrest. I have been questioned once or twice and the things they dragged up from my past were quite confronting.

I see you are into swords, I bought a katana, and a copy of IAI back in the days of my training. practicing with it was fun for a while but I have more engaging hobbies now. At the end of the day most people buy these as measures of self defense but for that they are very limited imo. That doesn't stop me from keeping it in the hallway though as apposed to a baseball bat. But the blood on the carpet, and the explanations to a prosecutor...

In the Marines, they told us to do everything possible to avoid hand to hand combat.
Then they taught us hand to hand combat.
I did take 6 months of Krav Maga.

I am far too pretty to get into a fist fight.

I studied karate for a few years and one day the instructor made the point that if you are ever confronted by an assailant with a knife, the best thing to do is run. So I bought a big knife and began practicing concealing it in my pants. I quit karate not long after. They don't tell you the fact up front but when you complete the grading to black belt you immediately go on the police registry as such. No thanks.
A lot of videos on that subject on YouTube. Always they say run away if you can. And if you can't, expect to get cut.

During the War of 1812, there were a group of Choctaws under the Choctaw General Pushmataha that were mustered in as US regular soldiers. He trained them in his style of knife fighting and his preferred method of combat was to sneak into the midst of enemy positions from the rear while Andrew Jackson's men were carrying out a frontal attack, and engage in close combat with knives. They terrified the people they fought, including the Creek Indians, the Spanish in Pensacola (who got scared so badly by the tactic that they quickly surrendered) and the British at New Orleans (Choctaws would silently emerge from the swamp, kill a British sentry with a knife, and then melt back into the swamp).

I trained in Kung-Fu from ages 16-22 years old, a long time ago and in boxing. Kung-Fu is great to change the tendons in your body, body awareness, generating punching power BUT for actual self defense: Boxing and Wrestling are the best. Those are made of practical experience. All the flash-bang-gee-wiz factors are gone. Boxing is superior to Thai systems because boxing resides within the length of reach where damage can be done. Wrestling is superior to other ground systems because it is a controlling system.

Any ground system can be defeated by an eye gouge or a bite. They just let you go IMMEDIATELY. Fighting is different than MMA. In boxing after a strike, you are always in position for a second strike, third, and so on.

BUT for actual self defense: Boxing and Wrestling are the best.
All the pro Karate bouts I witnessed were won by the front punch, most of the fancy moves are too easily avoided and a lot of the kicks can be turned again you. One of my favorite tricks was to come in with a front kick only to drop it well short and deliver a front punch. That was on the practice floor of course, I would never try it in the street. Much better to just back away anyway if you can, especially now I'm old, slow, and woefully out of practice lol

Honestly, I have lost all desire to brawl in the streets so hand to hand fighting just seems unsatisfying to me now. I just want to go directly to firearms.

I enjoyed Wesley Snipes talk on the movie "Blade". Amakona Style fighting. As in amakona hit you with this. Amakona cut you with this. Amakona stab you with this.

A black belt registry is not usually public information and also has nothing to do with the police. I think you seriously overestimate the investigative powers of police. If it’s just an assault, they usually just take peoples word on it and hope for video. Once again, I repeat, don’t go register your hands ANYWHERE. It’s just plan stupid. Trust me. I have enough black belts to dress as a black belt mummy. Hmm future Halloween inspiration me thinks….lol

I have not heard that blackbelt registry of hands talk since the middle 1960's. If comes directly from people who don't want to fight with you.

Latest posts

Back