Your Best and Worst Preps of 2020!

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think there are a couple of reasons most people don't prepare.

1) It is expensive and means much of your disposable income goes towards prepping so less to spend on getting your hair and nails done, fancy nights out, new cars every four years and such.

2) They believe that someone else is going to "help" them if all hell breaks loose; be that the Federal Government, local police or relatives

3) They are clueless as to how thin the veil between civility and chaos actually is

4) They are somehow "special" and therefore that kind of stuff happens to other people and not them.
I agree with you on all accounts. What it ultimatum boils down to is people are ignorant to how bad things can get and how quickly those things go bad.

I'm assuming you mean the English Channel, NO I moved out of a British city 25 years ago and live in a rural agricultural area and have no plans to bug out anywhere else,
crossing the English Channel from here would mean travelling South and going through many inhabited towns and villages, or going many miles around to avoid them, I dont think that is feasible.
Fair enough.

Years ago we used to go to a friend's ranch every labor day. They'd cook a whole beef in an underground pit. A couple times while traveling in the south pacific islands the wife and I would go to a pig roast. The locals would dig a hole in the sand and wrap the pig in banana leaves and cover with hot coals. Good eating.

We have done some underground cooking of feral hogs like this, on a smaller scale:

Now my mouth is watering.

I like the underground method in SHTF for a couple of reasons

-no smoke to give away your location
-no smell ditto
-you don't spend all day having to check on your food
-it just tastes amazing

Native Americans used this method effectively for cooking many things such as yucca root, that would be poisonous otherwise.

One thing though they did not tell you in the video about using rocks. Make sure the rocks DO NOT have water trapped in them or when you heat them, they can explode, sending rock fragments out like shrapnel. We lined our pit with mortared in fireplace brick and only dug about 4' down. That way, it doubles as a smoke pit as well (because our ground doesn't freeze, we can have our "smoke house" in the ground)

and an addendum...make sure there are no tree roots extending into the pit as they can catch fire and burn undetected for months underground.

Did some more concrete work today, I poured an 8 X 12 ft. slab where a 7X10 wood garden house will be raised in the next few days. Electric will go in but also a small self-contained solar lighting over 12V LED lights. Next to the small house will be a 3 ft. wide and 7 ft. deep and 6 ft. high firewood storage area.
First pic is the form and re-bar and the second is finished poured. Only now did I see that the first pic was taken a 1:13 pm and the second at 6:13 pm...well, I guess not bad for exactly five hours of work.
1672766446585.jpeg

1672766497308.jpeg

Years ago we used to go to a friend's ranch every labor day. They'd cook a whole beef in an underground pit. A couple times while traveling in the south pacific islands the wife and I would go to a pig roast. The locals would dig a hole in the sand and wrap the pig in banana leaves and cover with hot coals. Good eating.
I know where I'm heading next labor day. Haha. Reading that made me hungry!

Latest posts

Back