Your Best and Worst Preps of 2019!

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think investing in my home here has been my focus with prepping this year. Solar was a biggie and probably my favorite. I’m starting to re design the deck on the east side of the house now to add a covered screened porch. It will both provide some shade and keep moisture away from the house. The plan is to have an outdoor cooking space that I can use even when raining. The shutdown and shortages were a wake up call. I hope enough people paid attention to it. I’m getting around to completing some of the things I’ve wanted to accomplish here because of it.

Going through Port Lavac Texas on our way to our vacation home in Port Bolivar Texas back in the early 60s when we got caught up in hurricane Carla, we lost the roof and one of the walls of roadside motel and lost our car, 2 years before that we lost our farm in the Panhandle outside of Sunray Texas by a tornado. Then I end up in a state that have earthquakes and volcanoes but in reality their are no place that is truly safe, one just preps for the geographics one chooses to live. At some point I'll be heading to the Midwest escaping the geopolitics of the West Coast.

I'm not far from Port Lavaca.

why are we still talking about 2019,,,,we are over half way thru 2020,,,,what have you done lately,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,myself I am going to put in that new elevated garden here in the next month,right now I am looking at 16x36 I have a good price on the soil and may go 16 x 45
Because we're remembering happier days before 2020 happened. . . our worst preps of 2019 are great memories compared to what has happened this year, LOL. I was talking to my sister the other day and was saying how she couldn't believe we were celebrating the new year and toasting to a happy new year, if she had known what would happen this year she wouldn't have celebrated, she would have been in mourning.
For real though, I think this year for many people has been so focused on immediate needs and adjusting to new things we may not have previously considered in our preps. So when it comes to more long term planning, last year may have been the last time we really worked on plans or acquired major items. I know for me I'm just now turning back to a more long-term focus now that work is getting to a new normal and I'm able to have a little extra money available again.

Because we're remembering happier days before 2020 happened. . . our worst preps of 2019 are great memories compared to what has happened this year, LOL. I was talking to my sister the other day and was saying how she couldn't believe we were celebrating the new year and toasting to a happy new year, if she had known what would happen this year she wouldn't have celebrated, she would have been in mourning.
For real though, I think this year for many people has been so focused on immediate needs and adjusting to new things we may not have previously considered in our preps. So when it comes to more long term planning, last year may have been the last time we really worked on plans or acquired major items. I know for me I'm just now turning back to a more long-term focus now that work is getting to a new normal and I'm able to have a little extra money available again.
If anything this year taught me that working on long term preps is more important than ever. I certainly don’t think the world is coming to an end here but I also don’t think we have seen the worst effects of the economic impact yet. I am fortunate enough to be able to invest in some prepping right now, and very greatful.

We bought a dedicated small window AC for the second story of our BOL cabin, where our food/supplies are stored. It gets up to around 83º up there in late summer (when it's up to 100º outside) and we KNEW we needed to address this problem if we were going to start using it to store our preps. Would have to put it on a dedicated generator (which we have for that outer wall of the cabin) if we lost power. Just no place else to store our preps INSIDE the cabin. We have discussed moving them to the large, well-insulated out-building/workshop that is somewhat cooler during late afternoon heat (it is under hickory nut tree shade all day long) but we really don't like the idea of our preps not being in the cabin proper with us. We have a 3/4-underground 6x8' cement storm shelter we just had installed some 25' from the back door, but it's just not big enough for our preps and storm protection, quite frankly. But we plan to store some of the preps on shallow brick/board shelving along inner walls.

Mistake was leaving 20 or so 5 gallon water bottles filled with water in the milkhouse this week.
How many exploded? I must confess I left 5 five gallon water buckets outside once. But here it usually doesn't get cold enough, for long enough, to do any harm. A couple months I was proven wrong also! Lost 4 of the 5. Thankfully I keep water inside now, BUT, with the recent fire I had, I lost, so far, 3 - 24 packs of water bottles to heat and flame!

Last count was 4. But I'll be going in the milkhouse in a little while to get something out of the freezer in there, so I'm sure after negative 13F there will be more. Our add on with a basement was supposed to be finished last month, and those 5 gallon containers were going to be moved down there where it doesn't freeze. Forgot about them. So far my 55 gallon containers are ok. We'll see. Glad there are floor drains for when this stuff thaws out.

I think my worse prep so far.is NOT being prepared for a winter like we're having.

my best will be the portable propane heater when it gets here. I"ll be stocking up on 1LD tanks as well
Glad you will have a way to stay warm Jim. Sorry you haven’t got it for this cold spell though. Did you get any snow out of this? Or loss of power?

Latest posts

Back