Your Best and Worst Preps of 2019!

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got part of my 2021 Preps done yesterday, 3 days and 2 nights of non-stop smoking has produced a edible amount of food for a while. All three freezers are full, the pantry half full and the rest is coming...
smoked.JPG

My worst prep was to setup a BOL on a rural acreage, even here in Oz in the good times people are out looting remote properties. A lot of it is parochial too, you are the outsider in a community where everyone knows everyone and certain of the young unemployed men are like gang elements.

My best was to sell that property and buy a home in a rural town of 1500 souls that is a good mix of locals and immigrants so to speak, people from the city who moved up for the lifestyle. Much safer and with all the mod cons just a 2 minute drive away.

This cold weather here in South Texas has made me more aware of the lack of insulation in travel trailers/RV's.
I/m currently planning on how to mitigate that issue.
It's been a few months, how are getting on with this?

"My best was to sell that property and buy a home in a rural town of 1500 souls that is a good mix of locals and immigrants so to speak, people from the city who moved up for the lifestyle."

Two years ago was told I was top prospect to move myself to a 50 acre parcel in the middle of Kansas when the SHTF. From what I gather, a corn field, not much else. LOL!

Today live in a small town in Oklahoma. Now Indian territory again. History of being outlaw territory just over 100 years ago.

Will take my chances here.

Today live in a small town in Oklahoma. Now Indian territory again. History of being outlaw territory just over 100 years ago.

You look at these movies about apocalyptic futures and they typically depict some utopian on the land existence. The little getaway Tom Cruse went to in 'Oblivion' All set up with solar and wind power, and of course the basket ball hoop lol lol. That recent one 'Z for Zachariah' where the valley is surrounded by radioactive fallout but still a perfect place to live, an idyllic existence. There are many many more and they all convey the idea that these getaways are perfect safe environments. In the movies...

Glad you will have a way to stay warm Jim. Sorry you haven’t got it for this cold spell though. Did you get any snow out of this? Or loss of power?

I had 5 day's and 4 night's of no electricity during sub zero temp's.the heater and a fan for wood stoves came.i also restocked on long burn time candles.among other items.

Best:
Firearms: Focusing primarily on 22lr (I have a stash of 308 containing only 500 rounds and I wont buy more), Airgun for practice and for the kids
Upgrades to my workshop: Mill, lathe, 3d printers, welders and all kinds of basic tools and power tools
Skills: Making my own knives with my blacksmith friend, working on scissors.
Transportation: Selling my motorcycle and focusing on my bicycle
Fitness: Commute by bicycle and moderate powerlifting.
Food: Dozens of airtight high quality 60 and 200l steel barrels for secure and compact storage

Worst:
Firearms: Crossbows (Literally useless), Built my own crossbow and created my own bolts (even more useless), Slingshots (complete waste of time)
Workshop: Everywhere I tried to cheap out. Buy good quality stuff even if you plan using it only once a year.
Transportation: Buying a road bike with a carbon frame (Although that was 10 years ago) Steel all the way.
Fitness: Screwing up my back on a poorly executed deadlift. Take it easy.
Food: Chocolate stash (I ate it all)
Intrapersonal: Trying to collaborate with people who believe in chemtrails, flat-earth and lizard people. Don't. They're crazy.

Not sure about those yet:
Investing about 6 grand in cryptocurrencies.
Building my own waterwheel for generating electricity. Spent a lot of money on the project but not useful yet. Vandals destroyed it once where I left it in a stream.
Building my own wood gasifier. Not sure wether I bit off more than I can chew here.
Building my own Steam engine. I'd be better off buying something instead of tinkering with stuff that'll cost me thrice including all the failed attempts. This thing is gonna blow up in my face one day.

Latest posts

Back