Young prepping family

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrepperMommy

Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm Chelsea, and my husband and I have been planning for a couple years now. Our actual preps are limited, as we're both still in college and our income goes mainly to bills and toys for our 10 month old son.

Our food supply is minimal in canned goods, a 10# can of freeze dried lasagna, and the huge apple tree in our back yard. Ha! We have about 15 gallons of water and two filtering water bottles, and a 3 week supply of baby food for our kiddo (and he's still nursing regularly as well).

Mostly, we're planning in the short term, but with that darn 21st of December less than three weeks away, we're getting a bit more serious

Cheap and easy go to a dollar store they have canned food and pasta's cleaning supplies Namely bleach for water sanitation. 50 bucks 50 items its the best way to go if your on a limited budget. Just my opinion

Dollar tree.... its been good to me and my family we have enough food stored and cached for 3yrs. Canned goods (fruits/veggies,sauces, meats), pastas and bottled water. all purchased at dollar tree. As well as snacks, and cheap toys and games stuff we wont miss, but have if we need them. It was cheap but effective. also stored away crisco cooking lard, spices, vitamins, and first aid items as well as some trauma items.

Thanks, Ranjen! I'll be sure to check them out, there's a Dollar Tree and a Dollar General close by.

Good luck too you, btw Colorado has a huge prepping community in it I know i just moved from there about 5 months ago. Keep your eyes open and your ears sharp you will be able to pick out the preppers

Hi guys! I'm Chelsea, and my husband and I have been planning for a couple years now. Our actual preps are limited, as we're both still in college and our income goes mainly to bills and toys for our 10 month old son.

Our food supply is minimal in canned goods, a 10# can of freeze dried lasagna, and the huge apple tree in our back yard. Ha! We have about 15 gallons of water and two filtering water bottles, and a 3 week supply of baby food for our kiddo (and he's still nursing regularly as well).

Mostly, we're planning in the short term, but with that darn 21st of December less than three weeks away, we're getting a bit more serious

Don't pass up thrift stores for clothes. My wife picks up more Never Worn top quality clothes in places you would not expect to find them. The key is, if you unsure you want it, put it in your cart anyway, you can always put it back later. If you put it back, when you go back it will be gone.

Welcome aboard, how about rice and beans ? We buy stuff that we like to eat and then rotate it out. Like said before dollar stores and sales. I am lucky my wife handles all the food and has done a outstanding job.

Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

I wish I had been as squared away when I was young and in college! Even though you say you have only prepped for the short term, it puts you far above the rest!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Welcome!
Sigh
The Mayan thing isnt going to happen. to let you know, the uncovered another tablet that furthers the Mayan timeline another 7000 years. however, from what ive read, some crazy shit happened at the end of all the other cycles.

I like Wal-mart for mres, and fishing supply, and a few other goodies.
The 99¢ only stores for some medical, like rubbing alcohol, bandaides, ace bandages, sewing kits, and other prepping nik nax.
Harbor frieght for ALOT of cheap useful stuff.

Oh and e-bay is freaken awesome!
For $20 you can get all sorts of stuff, like paracord, mylar blankets, knifes, fire starters of all types!
I almost always check up on e-bay for stuff.
Just dont buy stuff from China, i never seem to get it!

I do a lot of my online shopping on Amazon! I put together a bug out bag for my husband for Christmas and got some good stuff for it -- a camping cookware set, a hand chainsaw, a Sawyer filtering water bottle, two boxes of waterproof matches, 4 mylar blankets, and 8 ponchos. I was thinking of checking out the freeze dried food selection at Walmart (I've heard they sell Mountain House brand) as well, when my husband doesn't need the car. I still need to put together a first aid kid, but we have most of the basics in our medicine cabinet here at home (rubbing alcohol, the alcohol swabs, hydrogen peroxide, bandaids, gauze, neosporin, ibuprofin and acetaminophin), so it isn't my top priority just yet.

Have you been watching the History channel's 21 Days to Armageddon specials? We're planning for any sort of emergency that results in loss of power / civil disorder, but it is crazy how some of these specials claim that several different "prophecies" all point to the end of 2012/early 2012 as The Event. I figure it's better to be as prepared as possible for us by then, just in case :)

Dude, you're an awesome wife! Lol!
You really need to teach my wife your ways lmao!

Yes im sure the History channel is trying to drain every bit out of it they can!
Something is coming, even the government is prepping. but for what exactly.........

Hi and welcome to the life of a prepper.

A suggestion might be to hold off any further toys and use that money to better your situation. At the age of 10....find a construction sight and ask if you can have some small wood blocks, or maybe small length of 2x4's and have your hubby cutr em to be about 2x2 and 2x3 inches square. give these to your child and watch him.her go nuts building with em. They are also educational and help the child in MANY areas of learning. Simple and cheap!

Ok, now how about a weapon or 2 in the house? I mean guns here. A GOOD knife or 2 and baseball bat is good...but if it gets bad people WILL have guns. You need to protect yours (Family). So I suggest, if you don't have a gun yet, is to invest in one. The best bang for your buck here (pardon the pun) is the Mosin Nagant. It can be gotten for about 120$ usually, and you can get a big can of 440 rounds of ammo for 80$ ish. Second I would go with a shotgun. Walmart sells a pump action shotty for 209$ that would do fine for ya. If you want apistol and need to be frugal then I look for a highpoint. I prefer the 45, but frugal...you can go 9mm.

IF your not familiar with firearms then I suggest you start going to the local gun shops and ask around about clubs and ranges in your area. Most of these have a way (classes) to introduce new folks to PROPER firearm handling. This is a good first step if it is needed.

Just some thoughts.

Thanks! We have a lot of family that are super excited about our son's first Christmas, so we're anticipating a lot of toys as gifts for him and will be able to slow down on the toys for a while.

We have two metal baseball bats, one on each floor of our house. We also have a couple pocket knives hidden (securely with safety locks) in our nightstands, and I carry pepper spray in my purse. We're planning on getting a .22 within the next week or so as well. My husband is excited; he's wanted a gun for a long time!

Not yet. We're going to check out a local gun shop tomorrow or Thursday, and go from there

well i know most people lean towards pistols for some reason but if i were you i would look at rifles. Better accuracy and better functionality over the long term and more often than not based on my research they cost less. if that is a concern

Latest posts

Back