Young prepping family

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, a .22 rifle would be a good way to start also. Lot of folks, including myself, like the ruger 10/22. These can be gotten for around 210$. And .22 ammo is soooo cheap. I just got back from walmart, went there after my earlier post, and they have marlin .22's for under 200. Also the Mossberg plinkster can be gotten for around 115$. I prefer the semi auto .22's simply because as a defensive weapon your gonna wanna put out ammo fast. And .22s are not known for there man stopping power, so putting a 3-4 rounds into somebody would be the more assured way to take em down. And with the .22 you carry a LOT of ammo in a small amount space/weight.

Kudos to you folks for making a fine choice for your first firearm.

Yeah, a .22 rifle would be a good way to start also. Lot of folks, including myself, like the ruger 10/22. These can be gotten for around 210$. And .22 ammo is soooo cheap. I just got back from walmart, went there after my earlier post, and they have marlin .22's for under 200. Also the Mossberg plinkster can be gotten for around 115$. I prefer the semi auto .22's simply because as a defensive weapon your gonna wanna put out ammo fast. And .22s are not known for there man stopping power, so putting a 3-4 rounds into somebody would be the more assured way to take em down. And with the .22 you carry a LOT of ammo in a small amount space/weight.

A Chain of stores here in southern california is selling the Ruger 10/22 for $189.99. I am sure at those prices they won't last long.

O darn I nearly forgot.. Look a the rossi trifecta for your first gun also. The trifecta is 3 guns in one! It comes with 1 stock and 3 different front ends (barrels). It comes with each in a different caliber, .22, 243, 20 gauge. All 3 of these are good for getting meat to the table. The .22 is of course a good target and small game getter. The .243 is common and great for medium game like deer, hogs and 2 legged varmints. This caliber will also reach out a good ways and still have knockdown power. And the 20 gauge is the second most common shotgun round out there. And with a shotgun you can load buckshot (good for taking down medium sized game and 2 legged varmints), small game shot and slugs!

The trifects run for about 270$ ish usually. For 3 guns this is the best deal you can get!

yeah the 10/22 is also one of the most modified rifles so there are plenty of bells and whistles out there to spruce up your rifle. High capacity magazines are one of my favorites when we're talking about .22 rifles, also sights and lights with a collapsible buttstock, these are just my preferences and they are based on my experiences

well i know most people lean towards pistols for some reason but if i were you i would look at rifles. Better accuracy and better functionality over the long term and more often than not based on my research they cost less. if that is a concern
Thanks! We are leaning towards a rifle, I think. If we get a pistol, it will be in addition to the rifle.

Thanks for all the recommendations! We'll be sure to take a look at them all!

I would have to say the only thing i dont like about the trifecta is it's a single shot, open the breach and reload. If all i was using it for was small game hunting it would be a very nice rifle. but for shtf if i can get a semi auto over a single shot im going that route, it is a slick rifle though

the trifecta is not a combat weapon for sure. I like the versatility of it though. this single weapon system gives you soooo many options. But I am goona have to say that I would prefer a semi auto over a single shot MOST of the time.

hey brother im not knocking it your input was great and the system is awesome, its versatility and fire power are a force multiplier no matter how you look at. it would still hold a valued place in my post SHTF arsenal

AGreed ranjen. I didn't take what you said a "knock". I think any new prepper has a choice (if they are on a budget) for beginning weapons. Of those choices I will list each that I see as feasible.

1. .22 rifle. prefer semi auto here. inexpensive, ammo is readily available and easy to get and carry large quantities. Drawbacks are overall knockdown power which drops darmatically at longer ranges.

2. shotgun, 12 gauge here is my choice but a 20 gauge would ok too if that's all you could get. Shotguns can be gotten for an affordable price also. 179$ for an H&R pump 12 gauge. at short and medium range (100 yards) shotgun is king. LOTS of different types of ammo to be had here also. Drawback is shorter range and ammo is big and bulky. think 1 round of shotgun ammo is same weight and space of about 15 rounds of .22.

3. Mosin nagant. WW2 Russian bolt action rifle. can get 440 rounds of ammo for cheap (80$). This weapon is battle tested and proven and has a great range, think 1000 yards here. Drawbacks..it only hold like 5 rounds and it is a good size weapon. The round is so big that hunting small game with it is out of the question! Ammo is not very readily available, but it is cheap so buy a couple cases. AND it is bolt action which is slower to make follow up shots.

4. the rossi trifecta. Here you have a weapon system for under 300$ that gives you the ability to shoot .22, .243 and 20 gauge ammo. All of these types of ammo are very common and readily available. With this system you can hunt small, medium and flying birds such as ducks and geese if they get in close enough. Drawbacks are it is only single shot... So you would have to practice fire and reloads quickly here. Another drawback ( but I don't find this a drawback personally) are the shortish barrels.

5. for pistol I would get a .22/.22 mag revolver. I own a heritage 9 shot and I LOVE it!! Drawbacks are it is 9 shot and kinda slow to reload.

6. .357mag revolver. I own the Taurus tracker 7 shot .357magnum. It also fires all manner of .38 loads as well. this is one of the most versatile handguns you will fins as both .357 and .38 are very common. Also the .357 magnum round has the best 1 shot stop of most any handgun round out there. I like the tracker because it is 7 shot and comes with a ported barrel to help keep the kick down to a minimum. And the price was good! Drawbacks......cant think of any honestly.

7. a high point 9mm or .45. These guns go for under 200$. Most people don't like em because they are big, bulky and U G L Y as hell. But if you want a runway model then you gotta pay for her. The high point is a workhorse, not a runway model. I prefer the .45, 9mm is not a good 1 shot stopping round. Drawbacks....prepare to be made fun of at the gun range =) . But if ur on a budget then I say grab up one of these!!

8. highpoint carbine. This little rifle is actually well respected for what it is. IF you get a highpoint pistol then back it up with a highpoint carbine in the same caliber!! The magazines for the pistol will also work in the carbine!! so versatility here goes a long ways. Drawbacks... pistol caliber and is only good out to about 150 odd yards. and the front sight should be replaced ASAP once you buy the weapon. BUT for under 500$ you can buy the carbine and a highpoint pistol and have 2 weapons with intertchangable magazines and ammo.

So these are kinda some more thoughts for ya.

I like it David, good recommendations, I would have added .40 cal though, its a very effective 9mm/.45 cal substitute imho. The high point set up is sweet i love the interchangeability.

Well since we're being ### clowns today, I would certainly hope they get one that shoots. I hope it actually shoots bullets. I know I bought a .22 once and all it did was make dumbass comments. Thanks for clarifying my question I should have been more detailed with my question, what would I have done without you there to support me Krime...lol

Latest posts

Back