you or a loved on take serious medication and worried about shtf

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gman89

Reaction score
now i know some people need to take medication to keep there health up to par, my grandpa has some heart problems that requires he takes 3 pills a day and when/ if shtf medical supplies and medicine will be almost impossible to come by.
i got this idea from and episode of doomsday preppers, and a woman had cancer and had to take a ton of pills and all she did was skipped a pill every now and than. granted the stock pile of pills will run out but im sure you or your loved one would rather live longer.
and if you dont think that skipping a pill wont add up you will be surprized
one pill a week is 52 at the end of the year which is 7 weeks of pills!!!!!!
2 pills a week is 104
and so on and so on
just make sure you mark the bottles on what they are
also if you NEED to take these pills so you dont die please dont skip taking them and im not resposible for anything that happens to you

Not a bad idea. I am blessed in the fact that I do not take medication, but things can change. Thanks for the tip!

I don't need medication, but my husband NEEDS his glasses and eyes checked regularly or his retinas could detach and he could go blind.. scary thought.

i also try to go in for a big doctors appt every 6 mnths to make sure im up to my health and dont have and illnesses so i dont have to worry as much about it if shtf

i also try to go in for a big doctors appt every 6 mnths to make sure im up to my health and dont have and illnesses so i dont have to worry as much about it if shtf
I need to go in, I always forget about myself. lol

now i know some people need to take medication to keep there health up to par, my grandpa has some heart problems that requires he takes 3 pills a day and when/ if shtf medical supplies and medicine will be almost impossible to come by.
i got this idea from and episode of doomsday preppers, and a woman had cancer and had to take a ton of pills and all she did was skipped a pill every now and than. granted the stock pile of pills will run out but im sure you or your loved one would rather live longer.
2 pills a week is 104
and so on and so on
also if you NEED to take these pills so you dont die please dont skip taking them and im not resposible for anything that happens to you

Cardiac meds wouldn't be something that I would be skipping...just sayin'!!! Instead, take a look at what your Grandpa is actually taking, then check out Canadian or European pharmacies. For several years now my sister has been purchasing her meds from a European pharmacy. They are produced by the same pharmacies that sell meds here in the US so no worries there and they are much cheaper. We also purchased some antibiotics and keep them in the freezer for wtshtf scenerio. Back to your Grandpa's meds...if he has "heart problems" chances are he is on Coumadin, a blood thiner. Problem with this is folks taking these anti-coagulants must have their PT/INR (thickness) of their blood checked frequently, for some folks it can be weekly, and the dose of the Coumadin is often adjusted just as often. Having this test done routinely may prove rather difficult in a shtf scenerio. All the more reason to give this some thought before tshtf. There are other types of blood thiners that can be considered that do NOT require routine testing. Also, if your physician will write for 6 months of refills on your medications; you can get them filled 90 days at a time which does give you a bit of wiggle room. Also, if you tell the pharmacist you are going out of the country for a period of time, say 6 months, you can often get the script filled for that amount of time.

Blessings,
Shenandoah

so is aspirin a good alternative to the medicated blood thinner? for shtf scenario only.

so is aspirin a good alternative to the medicated blood thinner? for shtf scenario only.
Depending on the actual cardiac condition...Aspirin may be an option. The problem is do you take (3) 325mg Aspirins or (6)??? Without benefit of labs to determine the "thickness" of the blood, it would be virtually impossible to know how much Aspirin to take. So....Find out exactly "what" are Grandpa's cardiac issues and get a list of his current meds, then we can come up with better options. For example, if he has A-Fib only, Dibigitran is an awesome alternative to Coumadin and there is no need to have follow-up labs, etc. But without knowing his diagnosis or medication list.....we're just shooting in the dark!

Blessings,
Shenandoah

Some drugs can lose potency, others can actually become something different and dangerous after the exp date. read up on yours and make sure stocking up is of any value to you.

ive talked to my grandfather about prepping and what he would do if shtf. his reply was the govt would be at his house first due to all his guns and his history with the govt.

2 pills a week is 104
and so on and so on
ive found that there are alot of over the counter and natural remedies that u can replace alot of prescription meds with if it is an emergency type situation, aspirin is a blood thinner so having heart issues that is the number 1 thing i would stock there are also things like potassium gluconate that controls activity of the heart mucles, b- complex supports immune system health, garlic for cardiovascular health and the list goes on ! not saying these will replace current meds but they will help if your current meds are unavailable. side note: i am not a doctor and do not recommend this unless it is a life threatening situation.

I worry about not having medication all the time, while my medications are for migraines and asthma and a few other problems, they are not immediately life threatening, but withdrawal from these meds could render me unable to escape or could cause problems with lack of food or water or lack of sleep to become much bigger problems... I am also very susceptible to bacterial infections and worry that I would not have antibiotics to take, if I were to loot any building it would be a pharmacy or small hospital... pain medications, antibiotics, and anti anxiety meds would be the perfect addition to supplies... also IV needles, saline bags, and O+ blood, but the hospitals would probably be a mad house... as horrible as it sounds a nursing home would have lots of medications and other supplies that are not easily purchased or found

I worry about not having medication all the time, while my medications are for migraines and asthma and a few other problems, they are not immediately life threatening, but withdrawal from these meds could render me unable to escape or could cause problems with lack of food or water or lack of sleep to become much bigger problems... I am also very susceptible to bacterial infections and worry that I would not have antibiotics to take, if I were to loot any building it would be a pharmacy or small hospital... pain medications, antibiotics, and anti anxiety meds would be the perfect addition to supplies... also IV needles, saline bags, and O+ blood, but the hospitals would probably be a mad house... as horrible as it sounds a nursing home would have lots of medications and other supplies that are not easily purchased or found

Supposedly there is an herbal plant for asthma and migraines different ones try doing the old fashion remedies I haven't tried them yet but I also have both of these and other med probs.

I refill my prescription before it runs out and put the leftover in the freezer. It keeps almost indefinitely in the freezer. I have a pretty good stockpile of it. The actual medicine itself is very stable, but the capsules oxidize and turn brown. Supposedly even when the capsules turn brown you can still take it. In the freezer, they don't turn.

If it ever comes to the point where I can't get it anymore, I'll have to taper it off gradually, it's not the kind that you can go cold turkey on.

Just a idea . They say Stone wall Jackson had all kind of health problems but once he got out in the field during the war his health improved over night .

Could always grow poppies....make opiates.... ;)

We always get 90 day supplies, that's not a lot of time but is a little buffer. I'm still recovering from Christmas expenses, but the fish bio tics are soon to be added to my stocks. I've got a decent med. kit, but realize I can't cover all bases. Pot would be easy to grow, if things go south, but would not be able to produce quickly. Alcohol is fairly easy to produce quickly and can be used as a pain med., although not a great one. Poppies are interesting, is it even legal to grow them here as ornamentals? At least they could be used for surgery and such.

Oddly enough, it is (in most areas) perfectly legal to grow them as ornamentals. Just don't grow a large amount of them.
There are lots of varieties, but yes, it is perfectly legal (in the US) to grow the opium poppy (Papaver somniferum). But, if you prep it in a certain way (i.e. to get the opium), THEN you are in violation of the law. So, as a prep, to keep them growing? Perfectly legal. Just don't make medicine out of them YET to stay compliant with the law.

Oddly enough, it is (in most areas) perfectly legal to grow them as ornamentals. Just don't grow a large amount of them.
There are lots of varieties, but yes, it is perfectly legal (in the US) to grow the opium poppy (Papaver somniferum). But, if you prep it in a certain way (i.e. to get the opium), THEN you are in violation of the law. So, as a prep, to keep them growing? Perfectly legal. Just don't make medicine out of them YET to stay compliant with the law.
interesting, with the crap my wife is on quitting cold turkey would be a death sentence. that may be an option.

Latest posts

Back